Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

The Daily Thread

8 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, Well I finally got a date for my test. December 15, 2015 at 2:15 p.m. I was hoping to have it done sooner but it seems that the doc is all booked up doing routine preventive care colonoscopies and has no time set aside for truly allying patients I guess that's where they make all their money. Doing thousands of unnecessary procedures. Yes nothing ever changes with our wonderful health care system here. After 11 years of going to the same huge major corporate health care clinic and their hospitals one would think patient care would improve over the years but no such luck..I made several calls yesterday about the delay so I am now sitting here by the phone waiting for a call back to see if they can fit me in sooner. I am so very tired of doing all this. Being sick and having to fight for medical treatment is so unfair and making me sicker. Their name for it at the clinic and the U.S. here is " Being your own patient advocate" They keep telling us to "speak up and get involved in your own care" that you have patient rights and such. Bla Bla Bla bla bla..Just more propaganda in my opinion and always putting the blame on the patients. Like we don't care about our own health. Well we sure do. They are the ones you don't care. For them it's all about making a buck. A true cattle call is all it is now.......Thanks for letting me rant...Red....:(
Not much going on here today. Got a voice mail from the schedulers late yesterday so now all I have to do now is get brave enough to call back and schedule my tests. Going to spend the weekend challenging my anxious thoughts about all this. It's been 14 months of being sick so I guess it's time to get on with this....Red...
Davit, My friend. No this isn't new. It's been going on for about 14 months now. I mentioned it farther down on this thread. It appear to be a inflammatory condition of some sort or possibly cancer. Just don't know yet. Anyway I see you are having some issues of your own lately. I will put in a prayer for you also and sent positive energy your way too. Let us know how your testing goes..Good luck with the low cholesterol and high fiber diet. I have been doing that too. Lots of beans for protein at dinner time and hot oatmeal most mornings. Well got to go for now and get my breakfast. Take care my friend...Red
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red

My friend, is this new. I don't remember it. (that could be me) Prednisone ( a steroid) is the one med I have to take with food and ranitadine to protect my stomach from it. Let me know when your tests are so I can send positive thoughts and prayers. 

Davit
Just a little update..Been staying busy and relaxing too while I try to keep the anxiety at bay, while I wait for my diagnostic testing to be scheduled. Than after the deed is done hopefully we will know more about what is causing me all the gastric pain and bleeding and hopefully will be able to find a way to treat it. Well that's all for now..Till next time...Red
Watching my numbers because they went down a lot. On a very low cholesterol diet. Back to the original beta blocker dose, which is actually a little high still. Statins give me headaches and some minor pain possibly, it is hard to tell since there is always pain. TCA seems to take the edge off the pain. It is early yet. Making thermos oatmeal, it works well. This is good since I have a hard time getting up in the morning. TCA keeps me sleepy till noon. Going to go to every second day. I'm adjusting well to few cholesterol foods. Checking values but more concerned with saturated fats and trans fats. Goodbye chocolate. Five ounces of chicken today, but still in my limit. Very high fibre diet. Clear soups, mostly beans and peanut butter for protein.  (and tryptophan)
I feel pretty good. 
So far it is just aspirin for a blood thinner and an increase in Atenolol. Today was a good day and I got a lot done. 
BP is 107/63 and pulse is 71 with no skips. Pills are not due for an hour so it may come up some.

Davit
8 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When someone is in afib, the top two chambers of the heart just wiggle around like jello, rather than contracting nice and forcefully to push blood down into the bottom two chambers of the heart (which then contract to send blood out to the body).  Since the top chambers of the heart are just wiggling around and aren't contracting nicely, they aren't pushing as much blood down into the bottom chambers of the heart.  

Most of the blood moves down into the bottom chambers because of a difference in the pressure between the top of the heart and the bottom of the heart (blood flows from the area of higher pressure (the top chambers of the heart) to the area of lower pressure (the bottom chambers of the heart).  

When you're in the "normal" rhythm (called sinus rhythm), after the blood flows from the top of the heart to the bottom b/c of the pressure difference, the top chambers then contract to push the rest of the blood out.  In afib, you don't get that extra squeeze of blood.  We call this extra squeeze atrial kick.  About 80% of the blood in the top part of the heart flows to the bottom b/c of the pressure difference, while the contraction of the top chambers gives that extra 20%.  

It's like if you have a squeeze bottle and you turn it upside down.  Most of the stuff in the bottle comes out and then you squeeze the bottle to get the last but of stuff out.

That loss of atrial kick can affect people many different ways, and feeling short of breath is one of them.  Some people go back and forth (or in and out) of normal rhythm and afib.  We call this paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (PAF).  The very rapid heart rate that is often associated with PAF also doesn't help the situation.  The heart is beating very fast and it's not filling as well as it should.

Of note, when someone is in afib and the top chambers of the heart aren't pumping blood smoothly, you can run into problems if a blood clot forms in there.  If a clot does form, and then travels out of the heart and up to the brain, you can have a stroke.  This is the main reason people with afib (either chronic afib or PAF) need to take blood thinners.

From your description I'm not sure if you have afib all the time or PAF.  You may benefit from wearing a heart monitor for a couple of days.  It would continuously record your heart rhythm (like an EKG but for an extended time).  This would determine if you have afib all the time or go in and out of it.  

The heart ultrasound (echocardiogram) will look at the structure of your heart (the valves, how well the walls are moving, etc).  It can tell if you've had a heart attack in the past (dead heart muscle doesn't move and they can see that on the echo).  

If you indeed have afib all the time, you would probably need rate control therapy (ie the atenolol your already on) and likely a blood thinner.  If you have PAF, there are meds that can be taken to try to keep you from going in and out of afib (ie Amiodarone, Sotalol, etc).  Some people also do the "pill in the pocket":  when they go into AF, they take a does of medication (usually a beta blocker) to try and get back into normal rhythm.

As far as the Maze procedure, I'm not really sure how they tell if a person is a candidate for it.  You would have to discuss that with a cardiologist.

Anyway...I hope they get you all straightened out and feeling better.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  
Cardio

Periodically I have had a hard time catching my breath. I've attributed it to all kinds of things including anxiety. It never occurred to me or anyone else that it was a lack of oxygen in my blood because I have a normal O2 sat of 99 or better. The two villages share on call duties between five doctors. One village has a hospital and one only a clinic. Usually when my BP is high I go to the hospital to get it down. 50 mg Atenolol isn't quite enough so this happens every couple months. I couldn't find my car keys so called an ambulance. Doctor on call was from the village with the clinic. Hospital insisted I be taken there. Clinic doctors are better than the hospital doctors, more thorough for some reason. I was hooked to a monitor besides the usual EKG. This time bp was high but pulse was very high, over 150. Doc brought it down and sent me by ambulance to the city, three hours away. 

Increased the Atenolol to 37.25 twice a day and it is stable. I have no Idea what caused it but it has been around probably three years. July 24th 2012 I spent three days in ICU in a coma while they got my pulse down. I got infection and nearly died three times during the next month and a bit and nothing was mentioned about my pulse so I guess it was under control. Usually when it was a bit high I used cozar to  bring it down. I check twice a day. I have to go for an ultra sound and I don't know but hope that will decide if there is a need for the operation. It may just be looking for damage. I had one many years ago after a very bad septic infection and it was okay. 

Davit. 
8 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit

The Maze Procedure is the surgical procedure that can be used to eliminate afib.  It's usually only done if someone is symptomatic with their afib, intolerant to or fail anti-arrhythmic meds (e.g. the meds fail to control/prevent symptoms or the recurrence of the afib), can't take the necessary blood thinners, etc.

The procedure is fairly effective....I think >80%.  However, it doesn't work for ALL types of afib.  If I remember, it only works if the afib is coming from the pulmonary artery.  

How did they find out you had afib??  Do you feel your heart racing or palpitations?  Do they know how long you've had it?

Reading this thread: