Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I finally have my answer

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

Thank you for your reply.  I am in a really bad way right now.  I haven't done anything all day except interact with my son and get him what he needs.  I was supposed to go to my Mom's today but I told her not until tomorrow now.  I was supposed to make a dessert for tomorrow, but I didn't.  I'll buy something to take.  I can't think straight and I have a headache and dizziness.  Panic attacks are frequent and I just want to get away, but there is nowhere to go.  As much as my parents think they help they do not.  I have to hear about how much my mother has to worry about and how this is affecting her.  I really don't have any rocks to lean on or branches to grab.  God does not seem to hear my prayers or maybe His answer is no and I just don't like that.  I have said before that He has a plan and I would yield to His will, but I am unsure that I know how to do it.  I feel like I am wandering in the dark without a flashlight.  As you said, my feelings are jumbled and I can't sort them out.  It is all pain and panic stabs right now.  Then the numbness, which is a relief until the pain and panic rises up again.  I am thankful for numb and sleep.  If I had to name what I am feeling it is sad and betrayed.

My son knows something is up but not how bad things really are.  He cries if we have any harsh words at all, he alludes to panic attacks and he will not deal well with what is coming.  I do not feel strong at all.  I think this scares me more than anything, but I will do what I have to do for my son's sake.  I just don't feel like I know how right now, there is so much coming my way and I don't have a clear idea on how to think about them at all.
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3,
I am sorry that you think that your husband is having an affair. I am sure that has unleashed another rush of emotion.  Try not to jump to conclusions.  And don't forget, if he is, it's his behavior - not yours or anything you've done!  You are not responsible for the choices he makes!
I agree with Sarah, you can do this.  You need to keep it together and your son needs you now more than ever!  Don't talk about your husband where he can hear or overhear.  Find someone to talk to about it (I'm here). 
I can understand why you think you feel numb....however there is a whole list of emotions that are so overwhelming that you can't process them all at once.  Numb is your mind/bodies natural defense mechanism.  Try to list an emotion or two you are feeling.  Betrayed, angry, frustrated, sad, etc.  Try not to lump them into one category but work through them using the techniques we are learning in the sessions.  What are the thoughts behind the emotions?  Also look at the section on grieving....it isn't just  death that causes us to grieve.  

Wow, the self-absorbed conversation came up at the wrong time!  Let's forget that for the moment and come back to it later.  Now is definitely not a good time.  I think we should remove that from our vocabulary for the time-being.  I like Sarah's idea of looking at the cognitive distortions.  Those overwhelming emotions come out and we start thinking too much and distort our feelings. 
You can do this....the little train that thinks he can.....can!  I'm here!

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3,   As it has been said before, you know what is best for you and although it may feel like you will not be able to get through this on your own, you can do this! You have mentioned thoughts of being self-absorbed and beating yourself up, perhaps reviewing the session on "Cognitive Distortions" would be useful? This tool will go over such distortions as "All-or-none thinking" and "Overgeneralizations" that might be highly beneficial. By labelling these thought processes, they will be easier to identify when they occur and you will be able to create your own techniques to avoid these in the future! Please let us know what you think after reviewing this list.   It can also be difficult to find motivation in these times of need, perhaps confiding in your parents or one of your friends would help? Continue to post Mom of 3, and don't forget, we are here for you!     Sarah, Health Educator
Hi Goofy,

Thank you again for your post, we are on the same page with this and I do find being self absorbed to be a bad thing.  But maybe you are right, maybe it's not.  No one else is taking care of me.

I am hardly able to function right now.  My husband is likely having an affair as all signs point in that direction, but he denies it.  I can't write it all out but I have enough evidence for me to know that is what is happening.  I spoke to my Mom today and she told me some things that she and my father observed also. 

And to think I've been beating myself up all this time, trying to correct things, begging for forgiveness!   Not that I have done everything right, I see my shortcomings all too well to believe that.  What bothers me is that he never brought anything to my attention until he was "done".  I feel cheated in more ways than one.  I thought I had found my soul mate and I trusted him when I didn't trust anyone else.  Now I don't trust anyone.

I am in limbo because my son does not know what's happening and my husband hasn't moved out yet.  I can't get motivated to do anything I am numb, self absorbed and I can't think straight.  I'm sorry.
oops I'll try again
 Mom of 3,  I don't think we are self-absorbed so we are depressed.  I think the depression cannot allow us to see anything but that.  I think that is why CBT has us focus on documenting so many things that lead up to those negative core beliefs.  I haven't gotten to the part where I challenge my negative core beliefs, so I can't speak to that very much.  But I think become aware of them helps me, however, slow the progress is.  I recognize that I let others mistreat me, talk unkind to me, run over me, etc.  I think I deserve that - that is the negative core belief.  Being aware of it is the first step and then I have come up with (I am not less than anyone else on this earth) so therefore, since I compliment people, treat them with dignity and respect and love others, that I am worthy of that too.  Has this lessened my depression - I don't think so at this point.  But when I work through subsequent sessions I hope it does.  I think these are self-esteem issues and I think it's related to the depression.  I don't know which causes which, but they, in my mind, contribute to each other.
 I think self-absorbtion is not necessarily always a negative thing.  People tend to view it that way.  When we are thinking of self we tend to take care of self.  But because of our depression (self-esteem) we tend to think of ourselves negatively.  We dwell on those aspects of self that WE expect to be different (could be because it's something said to us over and over, something subconscious, etc).  like, I'm stupid, I'm crazy, I'm hysterical, I blow everything out of proportion, I cry too easily, I am too laid back, I don't care, I'm unattractive, I don't dress up enough, I need to fix my hair, pluck my eyebrows, I need to talk less, listen more, I can't get my thoughts together, I'd forget my head if it weren't tied on, I'm scatterbrained, I don't think straight, I'm too emotional.....I can keep going)  I know you have your list too.  I'm challenging these.  You know Mom of 3, some of them may be not be negative beliefs but who I am.   I don't dress up. I like to wear casual clothes (even at work in a professional capacity), I don't have to change that if it is acceptable to my boss.  It drives me nuts, everyone wants to tell me I need to be different in this aspect of my life....but I need to accept that I don't have to please them (that's the negative core belief) not that I have to dress up or I don't look nice. 
 I think, though, I didn't state it very clearly that we agree on the I/E thing....I tend to analyze, justify or rationalize and not recognize that's it's okay to feel.  And mom of 3, it's okay to feel the pain, it's when I let the pain control me, that I recognize it's a problem.  I'm so tired of letting my depression control me and I THINK that is what your are saying.  It is tiring, exhausting, and time consuming to fight it continually and when things get overwhelming (all the things that cause us pain) occur at once....I think it is natural to feel numb.....we have to have some self-defense mechanism.   My self-defense mechanism is sleep, when I'm sleeping I ain't thinking or feeling.  I think that is why I come home and crash after work, why I sleep on the weekends and why when I'm not asleep, I'm on this computer.  It's a distraction.  Work is a distraction from my depression.  There is no not being depressed at this point, it is either distraction (but in those few moments, seconds, minutes and sometimes longer during the day, rolling over in the bed, or on the computer it comes creeping in and the feelings take over again).
Hi Goofy,

Thank you for your very pointed post.  I realize I am self absorbed to an extent right now.  The pain I have is great and I can't seem to get away from it.  I guess that's self absorbed.  I am either numb or just want to die.  I don't trust a good feeling and perhaps would not know one right now.  As far as intelligence over emotions goes - I think emotions colour the knowledge to good or evil. Somewhere the two must balance and smooth the other.  It is here that I have problems.  Knowing that I have a negative core value is one thing, recognizing that it is untrue is another.  I can do this to a point but at some juncture it becomes true again - so either it is true or I have a block that does not allow me to question these issues and turn it to the positive.  It is like hitting a brick wall and I yield to the negative again.  (Example: Everyone deserves to be respected, but I can find some reason why I shouldn't be in whatever instance is bothering me.)   I don't know why there is such a block here, but something holds me back, I don't know what it is.

I know that I don't deal with life issues very well and told my counselor this. She says we will be able to work on these things but I am afraid.  I realize that I am in a very bad way and it is causing alot of self absorption.  She says I'm clinically depressed, which I already figured because I live in a canstant state of depression.  Sometimes I wish for bipolar because at least there's be some "up" times - that's sick I know.  I am so tired of living this way.

Rose 306, I dothink it is associated with depression and how it relates to negative core beliefs.  I also think those negative core beliefs are related to self-esteem and when we are complimented due to the depression at times we don't feel as if we deserve someone being nice to us.  This is a core belief that rears its ugly head in my head from time to time and I work to combat that - I do deserve to be complimented, treated with respect and dignity (as all people do) and do deserved to be loved!

I also think somtimes we cry because we are so self-absorbed and things don't go our way.  That as one of the moderators indicated, we expect perfection and things to go a certain way, think things should be different and dwell on those things that make things less perfect than what we think they should be.  I'm working on both of these negative core beliefs.  Life is not perfect, life is not fair, relationship difficulties, everyday issues, death, etc. is all apart of life and I have to learn to roll with the "punches" so to speak.  I like the saying happiness = expectations - reality.  And I/E works better than E/I.  Translation:  Intelligence(knowledge, insight) over emotions works better than Emotions over Intelligence.  And that doesn't mean it isn't okay to cry.  I tend to rationalize, justify, analyze things away and second-guess myself.  I am working on these negative to core beliefs and gave you a couple of ways I'm doing it.  Practice is progress!  

And remember you ask me for my opinion and this is just that - an opinion (see that, I just did it)!  Argh

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mom of 3,   You seem very determined to make the holidays enjoyable for both you and your son. Please let us know how the new traditions and baking go!   It is beneficial that you are realizing the similarities between yourself and your son. Often children will mirror the behaviour they see their parents display. By helping your son manage his emotions and experiences, you will be able to help him develop proper coping mechanisms and strategies for future situations.   Enjoy the time you share with your son and your Christmas!     Sarah, Health Educator

Hello everyone,

Karen, I just want to qualify the comment I made about what is "coming my son's way"  He will not deal well with the separation - he is attached to both of us and he already shows anxiety symptoms with his ADHD.  Depression is looming there also.  He is like me.  I know children are resilient and I may be gearing up for something that doesn't happen.  However, I know him very well.  I dread all of this, his father is making a huge mistake.

As far as the holidays I will see what happens.  I will do what I can to be merry and will most likely bake some cookies later on with my son.  I have to wrap his gifts tonight - I do it that way every year so that all is hidden until the last minute.  We exchanged gifts today at the office which was nice and I felt a little more in the spirit.  I didn't prepare very well for handling the holidays this year.  I am having panic attacks again because of my sensitivity issues.  Goofy, you are a wealth of ideas I will let you know how things go and what I come up with as a new tradition for myself and my son.
Rose, I think the "don't be nice to me days" are very related to depression - lack of self worth in particular.  I have them all the time.  I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas Anyway! (stolen from Rose, since she's right) I will put my efforts into doing just that myself.  Thank you all for being such good friends!

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey goofy, do you think that is associated w/depresssion - the don't be nice to me days? that's interesting, i get like that. mom, i know what's it's like to break into tears over poignant things. i don't bother much with maintaining my composure - what you see is what you get. it's ok to cry - good in fact - you're very "tender" right now, everything is gonna hit you in a sentimental way, you too goofy, it's ok, it is what it is. we three are all without significant others this holiday - a dad, a husband, a son. i say merry christmas anyway. take what's good about it and absorb it - cry mom if you need to. i always say it's good to clean out those ducts every now and again, it's maintenance!

Reading this thread: