Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Update

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol

Exercise is a good coping mechanism. I weed or work in my shop. It really works. I think it is just a different kind of concentration. But it does get blood flowing to the brain and takes oxygen.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red, I agree too. I think venting helps clear things up for me and all the confusion going on only in my head. I have a lot of trouble expressing my anger and all the other emotions too.

Samantha, thanks for the tips, I will go and look it up. 

Yesterday, I was online for a long time and it gave me a headache and I started go get anxious. It was a pretty bad anxiety too but I kept asking myself, isn't this like an anxiety attack that I always overcome? And I was able to over come it... I kept telling myself that it is in my head and as if I hit the switch of a button, my headache and nausea went away. I was laughing at myself after that. It was crazy how I can change within few minutes. I still have to find a good coping strategy... but maybe this thinking will develope into one. I'd like to find one that is physical since, mental can sometimes not work for me.

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anerol,

Thank you for checking in, it is great to hear from you. It sounds like you have been making some discoveries about yourself in the past few weeks. In regards to your question about assertiveness, session 14 of the program is on challenging shyness, sensitivity, and social anxiety. The tips provided in this section may help you with working on being more assertive. It will help you practice challenging those negative thoughts. Take a look at this session and work through the homework if you think it will help you with this matter.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol,
Its good to see you. I have been thinking about you and wondering how you have been doing.  As for the venting I think it is good for you, vent your heart out.  I had someone close to me tell me I have a anger problem.  Thats funny because I was told about 36 years ago by a psych that I had a problem expressing my anger and that was why I was depressed and self destructing.  I think it is healthy to vent and speak your mind. I just think other people can't stand hearing the truth thats all.
I was justing getting the hang of venting and this person had to make me feel guilty.  You just keep on venting and I will too.
I think it is healthy.  It sure is better than holding everything in and getting physically and emotionally sick and self destructing.

Red
Hey Davit, Haha. that's funny. hands washed.

it's also funny because i felt relieved from your comment (well, that is usual but). i have been sort of forcing myself not to think or dwell on my past. I didn't want to because it was painful because I don't have it anymore. I have made it into a negative thing.

Anerol

My friend thinks that I should never have a single negative thought so venting is not good for me but My therapist disagrees. My friend has trouble knowing when I am commenting and she thinks I am being critical. My therapist disagrees. Tracy thinks it is good to vent so please vent all you want and I will too. I will never be critical of anyone here but I may comment if I think it will do good. I think Karin thought I was being critical here so shouldn't be here. Sorry if any one took it that way. Karin is very concerned about my mental and physical health but doesn't know me well enough to know I will ask for help when I need it. I do love her but she can make me so mad. Our friendship will need a lot of work and patience and I think I am  good at that. WARNING, YOU HAVE JUST PASSED THROUGH SOME VENTING. Please wash hands and mind to remove all contamination.

Remember two things. One you have not changed, you are still the same person you were before, you can be again. Two, Your mind can and will sabotage you because it is afraid of change even if you aren't. It isn't change, you have been there before. Try to think about how good life was, dwell on how good it was, take my word for it, it was really good at some time and can be again. We all have core thoughts that dictate how we live, think and act. When they derail and start to become negative we have problems. We need to get them back on the right track. The next few weeks are going to be interesting and very helpful if people will open up. You may not have noticed but you have already mentioned some core thoughts. It may take some one else to point them out but once you know they are there you will do some thing about them, this I am sure of just as I am sure this is only a little bump in the road for you.
I would like to comment on some things you have said but not right now. You have enough to think about. Just keep working as you are, slow and steady. I see the progress.

Your friend 
Davit.
Hi Everyone, I'm back again..
thanks for the previous encouragements. Hi Davit, I was in a similar situation as you a few weeks ago with the critical guests. Why does your guest think it is negative for you to come on this site? 

WARNING** SOME VENTING
My week has been going so-so... had a few bumps... I realized how much pressure I put on myself because of a specific family member. I realized that my ticket to free anxiety is by working on being more assertive. I'm very bad at that. Anybody have tips on it? I also have a lot of thoughts about how i want to be in the outside world again... and i may be willing now, cause honestly, I've been afraid to challenge myself for a long time and has never really pushed myself.. well, that is a lie, I have been pushing myself and nothing is changing and it is getting frustrating.My patience is being tested. The other day, I went to the bank and I wanted to transfer some money to my other bank, which is far away... and just the thought of completing this task gave me so much stress and i got depressed again. i wish I can just take care of everything myself and not depend on my support person.. and i don't have a great relation with her. I used to have a lot of close friends when i was married and i remember them a lot but i don't have them anymore. I tell myself it is for the better but i do think about my past a lot and that is when I get depressed and compare myself now to then. and then I get lonely. I feel a little embarrassed venting this.... because i sound needy, and i want to be strong but, I am trying something new. maybe the more I vent , the more I am letting go. Thanks for reading.
Thank you everyone.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
I am glad to hear about your clean bill of health. I am also very glad to hear that you are surviving this week full of exposure...This is a Major achievement, that is for sure. I would also like to hear what your therapist has to say. This is if you are comfortable sharing it with us...I am sure everyone here will you terribly if you choose to go. I know I will. What is important is that you do what You think this is best for you and your health. Please consider that when you make your decision. I will respect your decision either way.

Your friend always,

Red
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
Glad to hear of your clean bill of health. I am am very interested in hearing what your therapist will  say. If  your therapist agrees with your friend, and you decide to stop posting...well, that's too bad, because you have so much knowledge and experience to share with so many...but your health comes first...so good luck either way.
Cleo

Reading this thread: