Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

June quitter

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Stella,
 Two thirds of the way through your first year as a quitter and you are doing GREAT!!  Maybe you will get lucky and your partner will try and give it a go....who knows. The important thing is that YOU DID IT! Awesome.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,153.35

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 14

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fantastic! I cant believe youre already at 8 months. 
How long did it take for you to feel safe from relapse?
  • Quit Meter

$13,800.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 100 Hours: 21

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
8 MONTHS!!!

Feeling GREAT about my decision to finally do this.  What a relief. I can't believe I thought there would be something missing once I quit.  It doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.  We adjust.  I have a new normal now. 
StSc37 - wow, congrats on reaching 100! And thank you so much for saying my thread helped you in your quit, what a lovely thing to say :)

I'm coming up on 8 months soon, and I am very excited about. I'm not sure why I am experiencing a resurgence of euphoria about quitting smoking, but it's awesome!  GUYS, I QUIT SMOKING!!!! My chain-smoking partner is coming back again in a couple weeks (he'll have been overseas for 4 months this time) and I am not nervous at all about it.  Last time he came back, I had anxiety about whether it would trigger me to smoke (and it kinda sorta did for a hot second there, as I documented in this thread).  Not this time. This is more evidence of progress.  I went and visited him and did not feel a desire to smoke last month. Now he is coming home and I am not suffering from any apprehension about what it will mean for my quit.  I already know what it will mean for my quit:  NOTHING. I quit.  *I* quit.  Who cares what everyone else is doing, I only need to watch what *I* am doing.  Or not doing, in this case :) 
5 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good to see you are still kicking butt.  Today is my 100 and reading about your journey when I first started mine helped immensely.  Thank you!
  • Quit Meter

$11,694.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 307 Hours: 16

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Posting this for posterity's sake:  I went for a run this morning, and for the very first time since my quit began, I felt the physical difference between my breathing ability today vs when I was smoking.  Initially when I quit, I was really disappointed that my health didn't seem to improve one iota.  There were myriad other improvements going on, but in terms of my sleep, my sense of taste, my fitness, my lungs, etc - there was really no discernible difference.  This morning, 7 months into my quit, I finally felt a real change.  My lungs felt awesome.  Other people write on here about feeling significantly better right away, or in short order at least, but that was not my experience at all. In fact, I didn't think I would ever feel positive physical effects of quitting (which I was fine with, by the way, because of the aforementioned other benefits of my quit).  This was an AWESOME moment in my quit and I want it documented.  I felt like I had the lungs of a teenager this morning.  I didn't even know it was possible to feel "good in the lungs", but that's exactly how it felt.
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi StellaBlue,
 I guess that -9° is a heat wave then where I'm at.  I'm sooo glad you were finally able to kick the habit. Perseverance pays off in the end. Enjoy the clean -38° air you take in today. Oh that's right, you don't HAVE to go outside anymore! 
Stay strong you quitter....

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,153.35

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 14

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I hit 7 months of freedom this past weekend.  Almost 60% of the way around the sun as a non-smoker.  Today it is -38 degrees outside, and I am not hunched in a wind break trying to "enjoy" a cigarette with smoke swirling into my parka hood and clinging to the fabric. More than anything else, I am SO RELIEVED that I do not have to deal with quitting smoking today.  It's done.  I never want to have to give it up again, and the only way to avoid it is by not starting again.  Any time I feel like I want a smoke, or miss smoking, I think about future me having to quit again.  NO THANK YOU.  Those 2+ years of trying to quit weren't all bad, but they were overshadowed by that albatross around my neck.  Changing a habit or quitting an addiction is brutal for me and always involves a bunch of unnecessary suffering. Today I am not suffering from smoking.  Happy quit, everyone.  May the force be with you (and hint: the force works through us tapping into it, not from it finding us!)
Quit update, Day 208:  I have been on vacation for the past few weeks, the one I was a little worried about.  Everything was totally fine.  Most people were quite pleased to hear that I had recently quit (devout Muslim country meant that me quitting smoking made me a better woman in their eyes).  I missed smoking maybe three times, for a cumulative total of 10 seconds.  That's not too bad.  And now I know I can travel and not smoke.  I think that was my last big reservation in terms of sustaining this quit.  I cannot imagine a single other event or situation that might promote me justifying a relapse.  And even if a surprise comes up, all I need to do is reiterate my decision: I choose not to smoke today, thank you.  It's so great having the choice.  I mean, I always did have the choice, but only after quitting am I really able to feel that I have a choice, and see that I actually had it all along.  I just had addiction blinders on before.
5 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep it up no point going backwards now and spend some of the money you saved on something interesting.
  • Quit Meter

$25,207.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 302 Hours: 0

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: