Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

June quitter

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Stella,
 A big milestone for you today!  Can't believe that it's been 9 months already. Keep on keeping us updated with your progress, we love to hear about success. 
Stay strong and enjoy the aromas of the blooms this season. 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,129.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 769 Hours: 15

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
9 months!  And also the first day of spring, which means as of today I have entered the fourth and final season of my first trip around the sun as a non-smoker.  This is very exciting for me.  Next stop will be first circle.  I can't believe I am now closing in on my first complete year as a non-smoker.  That is crazy talk. I love not smoking. I never want to smoke again just because I never want to have to quit again. I know that one smoke will light up the pinball machine and I'm simply not interested in playing that game anymore. Thankfully my brain is now cool with my decision, and has stopped suggesting it to me as an option. FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM.  

Keep on keeping on everyone. 
5 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Stella! In the amount of time I have been a non-smoker (3weeks tomorrow) I have sure noticed that my wallet is getting fatter. What a great feeling to regain the money that I was once using to feed an addiction that was slowly sucking the life out of me. But even more important for me is how I am noticing in such a short period of time how my body is beginning to heal and that I am actually beginning to notice the wonderful effects of being a non smoker. It continues to motivate me even more to kick this addiction even harder in the a@#. 
  • Quit Meter

$16,005.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 366 Hours: 21

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Has anyone else experienced this?  I think I was deluding myself before about how much money I was spending on smokes... I really worked at it to reduce my overall habit from a pack+ per day down to less than 10 per day by the time I quit.  Sometimes I worked hard to only have 3-5.  That's the amount I worked off of to put in my quit meter here.  However, I can't help but notice that I am simply not going through money like I used to.  NOTHING about my personal spending has changed at all outside of quitting smoking.  And as some might recall, I have been funneling my former "smoke money" into my quit reward of braces, so it should be even-steven. In fact, I have even been paying double on my monthly braces payments, so theoretically I am actually spending more now than I did while smoking. However, I don't know what else can explain the financial surplus that's been kinda stocking up quietly in the background this year. Is it possible I was spending as much as double or triple what I thought on smokes???  Could I have been that solidly in denial about the reality of my habit??  I'm not a Rockefeller or anything over here, but it's enough that it's noticeable and making me think....
5 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow nearly 10 months....thats just awesome. Your time has flown by (for me that is -haha).
I was reading your thread again and it is so good to literally see you change over time. You started out quite flat and uncertain, your mood gradually picks up more and more and about the 2 month mark something lifted from you and you start to feel truly liberated. It gives me hope that freedom is achievable even though the early days are wonky. 
  • Quit Meter

$13,768.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 100 Hours: 15

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Sparrow -your support has meant a lot to me on this little adventure.  You've been a great cheerleader for me, and I'm just so excited for you right now.  It's nice to see you connecting with some power in your own quit :)

Also, Timbo - thank you so much for your words way back when you talked about the seasons.  It helped me reframe my quit time once I was past counting individual days.  Ever since March started, I have had my eye on the 20th - spring is the last season I have yet to reach, and as soon as that day starts I'm going to shout from the rooftops that I'm finally in my FOURTH SEASON of the quit.  The first day of spring coincides with my 10th month of freedom, so basically, I'ma gonna need to throw a party here hahaha.
Ohhh Stella thats just awesome...a goal that you deep down believed wasnt possible has been achieved. And how good do you feel to finally be totally free of ALL addiction. Its honestly one of the best things a person can do for themselves. You give me hope because l feel exactly like you described....that l will never be free of the nagging feeling that l miss smoking. Its a wonderful morale booster to hear you say you have accomploshed that goal...maybe it IS possible for me after all. Im so glad youve posted your quit journey on here because you have a gift at describing feelings and events and its so helpful to newbies.
Im sooo happy for you girl. I know all too well the monster that addiction is and the wonderful, liberating gift it is to conquer. It feels strange to me that its even possible to get to a place where you no longer think of smoking so to hear you say you got there is amazing.
You must feel over the moon about achieving the goal that you set yourself (without much hope) just a couple of seasons ago. I love a story with a happy ending. In fact lm going to read your thread again for inspiration. Well done for all the hard work you put in....you made it sister! 
  • Quit Meter

$13,768.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Ohhh Stella thats just awesome...a goal that you deep down believed wasnt possible has been achieved. And how good do you feel to finally be totally free of ALL addiction. Its honestly one of the best things a person can do for themselves. You give me hope because l feel exactly like you described....that l will never be free of the nagging feeling that l miss smoking. Its a wonderful morale booster to hear you say you have accomploshed that goal...maybe it IS possible for me after all. Im so glad youve posted your quit journey on here because you have a gift at describing feelings and events and its so helpful to newbies.
Im sooo happy for you girl. I know all too well the monster that addiction is and the wonderful, liberating gift it is to conquer. It feels strange to me that its even possible to get to a place where you no longer think of smoking so to hear you say you got there is amazing.
You must feel over the moon about achieving the goal that you set yourself (without much hope) just a couple of seasons ago. I love a story with a happy ending. In fact lm going to read your thread again for inspiration. Well done for all the hard work you put in....you made it sister! 
  • Quit Meter

$13,768.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

"My dream goal is to simply never think about smoking." - StellaBlue, July 10, 2018.

I wrote that last summer, a few weeks into my quit.  I was gaining confidence but still suffered from doubts that the above statement would never fully apply to me. I heavily identified with smoking, I still thought there was something vaguely desirable about smoking, and a few weeks into the quit I was still missing smoking with some regularity.  I had hope (that I really only dared to voice here) that one day I would be non-smoker instead of an ex-smoker, but I really wasn't sure.  I feared that smoking would be something I would have to remain on high alert for, something I would wish I could do once in a while, something that would pop up in my dreams and wishes and fantasies for the rest of my life.  I didn't know to what extent someone could really "quit" smoking.

Guys, if we're talking about dreams and goals here, my dream goal has become true.  It is my reality. I am a non-smoker.  And I'm not even 9 months into my quit. And I know from my thread that this feeling started as early as 3 or 4 months in, and has only grown more solid every since.  I smoked for years and year and years, and in LESS THAN ONE YEAR it's like it was all just erased from my brain.  This post was inspired by reading the first couple pages of my own quit thread, and that above quote jumped off the page at me.  "My dream goal."  As in, my secret goal that I'm not even sure would ever even be possible. I do not think about smoking.  I don't spend any time worrying that I might smoke. I don't feel like something is missing when I walk by a group of smokers or when I am stressed or when I am bored.  There is no fight, there is no worry, there is no anxiety.  It just doesn't factor into my day anymore. On the very rare occasion that I do think of smoking, it's usually just with gratitude and amazement that I actually quit.  It would take an incredible coincidence of overlapping factors to result in me picking up a cigarette at this point.  Not that it's impossible (I clearly thought it was a good idea once before in my life, so I know I'm not immune to thinking that again), but it's exceedingly unlikely.  And I know what all those potential factors would be, so I am pretty well armed to see them coming and get out of the way before disaster strikes.

I can't believe my dream goal has come true.  How cool is that. 
Sparrow - It was right around the 100 day mark when I crossed some sort of threshold in my quit.  I mean, it got a lot easier to maintain my quit long before then, but I remember feeling like something had changed in me by around 100 days.  I think I wrote about it in this thread somewhere, now that I'm thinking about it.  That might have been the line when I went from feeling like someone who was trying to quit smoking, to just a plain old non-smoker.  I wouldn't go so far as to say I have no fear of relapse (I've seen and heard it happen to so many people that I can't possibly think I'm somehow immune to it), but it's not something that I *actively* fear anymore.  I can't predict who I'll be or what I'll be thinking 20 years from now, but for the foreseeable future I feel pretty secure.  I don't ever want to have to quit again.  I'm hoping I can hang on to that feeling, because it is by far my biggest motivator and source of gratitude for this quit - that the hard part is over, and I never want to do it again, and I never have to do it again as long as I keep choosing not to smoke. Which is fairly easy these days because I simply am no longer thinking about smoking all the time.  I would now have to go out of my way and make an active bad decision to smoke a cigarette.  It's just not happening today. 

Reading this thread: