Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

June quitter

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No worries Penitent, I'm always excited to see action in my thread, even if it's not about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Hahaha.  It's actually really awesome and inspiring to see you two chat about the old days of your quits - reminds me that that can be me one day, talking about that time 10+ years ago when I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore.  I like that vision of my future better than the one of me at 50 years old, still squatting down between the garage and the fence to smoke and then tossing the butt over the fence to hide the evidence. That's not me! Yet that's what I've been doing for the past several years. 

I am starting to feel glimmers of becoming more myself, now that smoking isn't shrouding everything.  Like if smoking is no longer holding me back, what else can I let go of that isn't serving me well?

(And now the reality check: I just had an intense desire to smoke while typing about how awesome it is to not be smoking! Oh addiction, you fickle beast). 
5 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey SB, please forgive me my indulgences with a friend from a long time ago here!

Crossings off! For years I had a spreadsheet set up that allowed me to strike through the days as they passed. I found it very satisfying and therapeutic so I get you. Do it!

Braces! What a great idea. Your mouth gets a double whammy, teeth sorted and the absence of toxic smoke; and in the years ahead, your smile will remind you of your success!

Just keep on keeping on!

Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,738.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 16

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Melofga-ga-ga!!!! Well I never!! How the devil are you? I see you still live in Canada!!! 

30th July 2002!!! 16 years for you today if I’m not very much mistaken!! Now that is big!! My sincerest congratulations to you, as ever.  Happy anniversary! 

Where did that time go? Is it really 14 years since the vibrant days? And I thank you once again for all the help and support you gave me during those difficult times of 2004. I was young (er)– and angry and you were such a calming influence. This quitting lark became fun as the days passed and it became easier as the fun grew.

Just over 14 years for me now and I don’t come here that often but I will never forget that this site was instrumental in  making me quit finally. To this day I still owe and I will always return and help a little.

So good to "see" you Mel, 

All The Best

Pen x

PS Deadheads are always Grateful 

• Quit Meter

$56,738.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

DAY 40!!! (<---- that is me dancing).  I think, in answer to your question Timbo, the elation is setting in at last.  I'm really doing it!  I don't feel safe yet, at all, but the days are adding up and that's pretty exciting.

Timbo, Penitent, and melofga (you're the only one who has caught the reference!) - I really appreciate your experience regarding my 90 day notion.  It has been duly noted, and I will change my plans accordingly. I agree with the "four seasons" reasoning.  But man, that's a long time away.  I'm not too worried about losing attention for quitting, since I haven't been getting much anyway, lol.  I have found that no one really cares, or at least not the folks in my innermost circle.  Hence why I started coming here, where you guys keep cheering me on and passing on what you know :)  I just really like crossing stuff off of lists.  Maybe I'll put on instead, "Get to 60 days smoke-free", "Get to 90 days smoke-free" etc.  Then I get to cross tons of stuff off this year haha.

I wrote in another thread here that I'm getting braces put on my teeth this month, as a reward (and as an incentive to stay quit).  You guys kept saying "reward yourself" but I kept coming up blank.  Especially since one of my motives for quitting was financial - it didn't make sense to buy myself something when the reward was actually that I wasn't spending that money anymore. I have wanted braces since I was a young teenager, and until now, I couldn't pull the trigger - why bother fixing up crappy brown, stained teeth, only to end up with weird white spots where the brackets were? Maybe it's kind of soon to make such a huge "I quit" commitment, but I am so excited!  I'll be damned if I swish smoke and nicotine over $6000 teeth!

5 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi StellaBlue (yes I am a fellow Deadhead),
I haven't been here in forever but owe so much to so many people WAY BACK when. 

Penitent! Dude. You're still the man!  Good to see you.

Pen's right, Stella. Be careful. The road gets a little rocky now. I don't mean dreadful craves, it's more about....gosh I'm sick of doing this. Nobody is paying attention to my wonderful quit and giving me kudos. So it's just not that special anymore. The other day I stood next to a smoker and.....
How bad would one be?

90 days is amazing. I remember how I felt. But, babe, ride out the weirdness. Ok? Maybe it won't hit you but it did me. I almost lost it then.
But seriously the road gets easier everyday and the pride and joy and smell.  Your skin!

And now tomorrow I have some amazing stats to post. I haven't done that in a few years.
Other than having my children and marrying my amazing spouse, quitting smoking is my best accomplishment. I never ever thought I could do it. Until I did it ONE DAY AT TIME. Put in the time and you'll be amazed at how much your life will change.
You can do it!
My very best to you.
Melanie

• Quit Meter

$63,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 16

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Happy Sunday SB!

If you want my advice, and if you don’t please feel free to tell me where to stick it  but I would not cross “quit smoking” of your list. I recommend that you leave it there to remind you on a daily basis what a precarious journey you are on. I fear that if you cross it off, even after 90 days, you may become blasé and that is when you become vulnerable to the evil calling. Just my humble opinion! 

40 days and 40 nights tomorrow!!  That's big in itself!

You are doing great. Just keep doing what you are doing, one day at a time!

Best,
Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,738.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi StellaBlue,
 Keeping a journal is a great thing to do on your quit journey, especially if you have slips. You can learn from your mistakes and be stronger the next time. Although, the way you're going, I really don't think you are going to slip up, at least I hope not. You seem to be back in control of your life again. Are you feeling elated yet?  Another good thing about the journal is that later down the line, when you're reading it, you'll get a kick out of some of the things you wrote in it....well at least I did.  
 They say you're not a real quitter until you've experienced  the four seasons, but if you feel that you can say for sure after 90 days, then by all means cross it off your bucket list! 
Stay strong my fellow/fella quitter!

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,183.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 9

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Day 37. Last night was tough.

I have arbitrarily decided that when I get to 90 days, I can cross off "QUIT SMOKING" on my list of goals for 2018.  I never did get to cross it off the 2016 or 2017 lists.  Over one third of the way there, and I'm looking forward to what 90 feels like.  I'm really glad I've been updating here almost daily so that I'll have a record of the process.  Maybe I'll print it out if/WHEN I hit 90 and staple it into my journal for posterity :) 
35 days.  I feel great today :)
Yes, your post rings a lot of bells! Still in the woods, but there's a clear path ahead to get out.  I wish the path was a little shorter, because I'm a little tired of still wanting to smoke.  It's an annoyance at this point.  But the universe very rarely bends to my control () so I'll just keep taking it a step at a time.  I'm amazed that all of my major smoking triggers (driving, meals, approaching or finishing unpleasant tasks or conversations) now pass without even a thought of smoking.  It's the little surprise intrusions throughout the day that bother me.  Smoking just pops into my head out of nowhere.  Not strongly, but I still have to do the "work" of dismissing the thought.  They really are not happening that frequently though.... I probably have this "work" to do only 3-5 times a day now.  Sometimes less.  In terms of actual time spent, I probably spend about 100 seconds actively not smoking per day, lol.  The rest is all passive non-smoking (as in, I'm simply not thinking about smoking at all).  Compared to before, when I spent 1-2 hours per day dedicated to smoking (actually smoking, thinking/planning smoking, going to the store to buy them, etc).  What a time saver quitting is! 

Reading this thread: