Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Understanding the Causes of Slips and how to Prevent them

15 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mr. Ed,

Somethings are just plain outside of a person control, smoking however is not one of them.  We have high hopes for her recovery.  Thanks for asking after me!

Stickin

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/22/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 871
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,678
Amount Saved: $5,095.35
Life Gained:
Days: 159 Hrs: 14 Mins: 7 Seconds: 54

16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
STICKIN' How are things with you now? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 782 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23,460 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,158.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 127 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Opinons and ideas to consider; thats all folks! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 803 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,454 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,416.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 149 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thread!!! Allan Carr's Book has been a huge help!! He says to stay away from other smokers!! This is how most people slip. It's easy & fast!! I am with the rest of you, I can never have, even a hit off of a cig!! I am an addict. If I slip, I will be a smoker again... Believe it or not I live with a smoker, too!!! He stinks!! I am not motivated to start back!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 187 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $561.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent bump, STI. Thanks! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,025 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $461.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Picture yourself as quit, really see it, think it and live it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 767 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,806 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,218.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 142 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all been quit as you can see for quite some time. Finding stomach pains returning. Possibly from coffee otherwise all is good. Great to touch base with you all again. ;)PS Best wishes to you and your Dad, Kelly
16 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad to hear that your Dad is doing better Kelly. You've shown that you are a strong person. It's great that you understand the addiction like you do. I hope your Dad goes through a quick recovery. StickinToIt...wonderful thread...it helped me an awful lot. I woke up this morning with a terrible craving and I said to myself "Wait a while and see what happens". I did and the craving went away. It prevented me from having a slip. This means having some patience which I don't have very much of, but I'm practising it quite a bit lately which is good. Quitting is definitely a learning process and is with slips. I've slipped many times and I hope it has helped me understand why I do slip. Again, it's patience that you have to practice and give it time for your craving to subside. Again, a great thread, StickinToIt. Ginette [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 245 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $108.29 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$56,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 779 Hours: 21

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well...here I am just over a week later and still smoke-free. Am I surprised? Maybe a little. I went to Phoenix where I met my parents and my brother for what may have been the scariest day of my life and I didn't smoke. I was able to reject the idea to smoke even though my brother smoked...a lot...okay, no more than I would have a few months ago. It's just very noticable now. He smelled good to me and when we sat outside I thought about the relief I would feel for that first couple seconds of taking in the smoke. I'm not going to deny that it would have felt good...for that first couple seconds. But, after those first seconds, it would have been aweful. I know that. So, the (possible) causes of slipping now include sitting outside with a smoker during a strenuous time. I would also like to include contemplation of relief as a possible cause. The prevention in my case was preparing my mind in advance for the situation I knew I was facing. It was also knowing full well that even one hit off a cigarette would only provide relief for a few seconds and then I would be stuck again...the knowledge that in addition to relief, those first seconds with that one hit would start a cycle of torture that would only end when and if I could bring myself to that stage of quitting again that took me SO long to get to already. My prevention advice... Always keep in the front of your mind the knowledge of what that first puff will bring. Always be prepared with your logical self talk and avoidance tools. Not during the first week, first month or first year but always. I'm back in Phoenix after a little over a day home and I am okay. Dad's okay, too. Very weak. I'm having some thoughts of smoking but no more than I had before. The 'pull' might be just a tiny bit stronger than it was but nothing I can't push aside rather quickly. Thanks again to everyone of their thoughts and prayers for both me and my dad. We are both doing rather well considering... :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 113 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $661.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40

Reading this thread: