Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Understanding the Causes of Slips and how to Prevent them

16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly! It is perfect!! Think of all the people whom you have touched and have helped by posting. Thank you so much for sharing. You are a wonderful provider of inspiration and a darn good quitter! Our thoughts are with you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 686 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,348 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,773.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 125 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly, Once again you've added an honest post that will help others now and in the future. Hope your dad's procedure works out as well as expected. I'll be sending him healing thoughts ..and calming ones for you and the rest of the family {hugs} [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 262 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,781.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks again to everyone. Casey, I will leave it up to you and Stickin to decide what stays and what goes. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $620.10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
Thanks you guys! I really didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. I think this 'life event' is a common cause of a slip. It's a lot easier to stay smoke free when things are good and predictable. Not so much when something comes out of left field at you. Mods - I think it would be appropriate to delete my posts from this thread as it has gotten side tracked from it's original purpose. I apologize for diluting the original purpose and content. Thanks! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $614.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
(((Kelly))), You are one wise and strong lady. The fact that you are on this thread reading and asking the questions during this very stressful time shows that. It also shows that you prefer to be proactive and stay in control. Unfortunately, right now with your father's health, you do not have a lot of control. You do have control over whether or not you smoke. Don't give that up. Stay strong. And you know that you always have your back covered here!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.I am hoping that your Dad is as strong willed as his little girl!! G :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 140 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $672.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good thinking, Kelly. Remember we are all in this thing together. Read and re-read stickin's post...it contains a lot of wisdom. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1090 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,815.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 153 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$54,839.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 13

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Sorry bad editing below... It should read like this... I thought about that, Rusty and you are right. The answer to prevention in this case is to just not smoke. Of course, that really is the answer in all situations, isn't it? I never really considered smoking in the first place. Never had the thought of driving to the store, etc. I was an impulse I felt, I'm sure, because that's what I've done the majority of my life when I felt pressure, anxiety, fear... Thank goodness the timing was bad for me to smoke. The cause of (what could have been) slipping in this case...shocking, emotional news. The Prevention yesterday...sheer luck. The Prevention going forward...conscious thought. :) ps. Thanks for your good thoughts & prayers. I really appreciate it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $614.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
I thought about that, Rusty and you are right. The answer to prevention in this case is to just not smoke. I never really considered smoking in the first place. Never had the thought of driving to the store, etc. I was an impulse I felt, I'm sure, because that's what I've done the majority of my life when I felt pressure, anxiety, fear... Thank goodness the timing was bad for me to smoke. Of course, that really is the answer in all situations, isn't it? The causes of slipping in this case...shocking, emotional news The Prevention yesterday...sheer luck. The Prevention going forward...conscious thought. :) ps. Thanks for your good thoughts & prayers. I really appreciate it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $614.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Kelly, Take a deep breath and exhale slowy, do this again and one more time. Relax, tune in and calm yourself. You are stronger that you know Kelly. Living has a way about it, that it continues to throw situations at us and those situations need to be used to strenghen our resolve. Do your best to keep a positive frame of mind and be that example for the rest of your kin. You and your dad are in my thoughts. Stickin to it is the way to the outcome you seek. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 685 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,330 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,767.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 124 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky is right, Kelly. Best to think with high thoughts, best to trust your strength, best to have faith in the wonders of the universe, best to put down the heaviness and pick up the light. My friend had quad bypass surgery two years ago. Today he is jogging, flying off to places to help others, working as a consultant all over the world. So much of healthy living is state of mind, just like your quit. The answer to prevention, you ask? Just don't smoke. Rusty [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1090 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,815.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 153 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$54,839.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 13

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: