Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Going to make another attempt

15 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks a Bunch Pat, I kinda had the same philosophy. I do know, maybe the chantix is what is doing it but, last few days cigarettes really taste disgusting. think I have lit up 3 today, took about 2-3 drags and threw it down. but Sunday is the big day, not that I have been smoking much anyway lately, but after bedtime saturday night, there will N.O.P.E.
everyone please pray for me and stand close by.

Sue, Thanks for the words of encouragement, and I offer the same support to You and wish You a successful upcoming quit.

Thanks to this entire group and I appreciate and look forward to Your continued support.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/11/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -45
Amount Saved: $-5.63
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -3947

15 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bryan,

I'm soon to be a non-smoker, quit date is next Tuesday :)

There is soo much support here, I'm so glad I found it and that you did too!

It's funny ... sometimes I think the hardest part of the quitting is actually making the decision to quit and that build up to your quit day.  Your either trying to fit in every last smoke you can (your almost sick of it) or the whittling down to almost nothing and constantly watching the clock till your last smoke ... it's almost a relief when you can let go of all that anxiety and beginning building your new path.

Good luck and visit often :)

Sue
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to SSC and congrats on doing so much to prepare for your quit! It will go a long, long way when your quit day comes. You've gotten such amazing advice and help from everyone that I only have one thing to say that might help you.

*****shhhh, don't tell everyone, this is my little secret******

I did the cutting back thing too!  I did it for over a month, from 40 a day right down to just one on the last day before I quit. It was painful...but worth every minute because of what I learned. I journalized every smoke I had for the 3 weeks prior to quitting. Some very wise people here suggested the journal would help me find my triggers and I could then avoid them. They told me to picture the smoke going into my lungs and to feel the burning all the way down, taste the nastiness and feel the relief when I put it out. They suggested the Alan Carr book too...what a wonderful read that was and what a relief to finally understand my addiction and know I could beat it.

Some people thought I was nuts to put myself through the cutting back phase. Maybe I was, but I thought of it as running full speed towards a cliff and jumping the chasm to the other side instead of standing still and jumping from the edge. It worked for me. When I smoked that very last cigarette, I had to force myself to do it. A real sense of peace came over me as I put out that last one because I was ready to quit.  I'd educated myself and my fear was gone. I had almost NO craves in my first year!!! It's hard to believe but it's true.  I credit my success to good planning, all my hard work in cutting back and gaining knowledge, a little bit of Zyban to take the edge off the first month, and a really positive mental attitude.

Bryan, this is your quit. Make it your own.  Do whatever you feel will give you the best chance to quit and stay quit! You can and will do this...we're here to help in any way we can.

Pat

Knowledge replaces fear.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 711
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 28,440
Amount Saved: $14,220.00
Life Gained:
Days: 93 Hrs: 8 Mins: 43 Seconds: 11

• Quit Meter

$121,056.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 7

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi AC Sounds like a fun item to use. Must be the picture invocing some old memories. Some memories are worth keeping. It's funny though I'll be thinking of something that happened 30 years ago and then you go why am I thinking about that ? I think everyone should have an iron dog nut cracker.  I guess the percentage of children that smoke who have parents that smoked would be higher than the average. I wonder if anyone's done a study on it ? breather 58 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 58
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,900
Amount Saved: $1,392.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 18 Mins: 6 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather - I remember my Daddy used to have an iron dog nutcracker.  You put the nut in his mouth, push down on his tail and the mouth cracked the nut.  Thank you for that memory.  My memories aren't so great (not that I have lots of bad memories, I just don't have many at all) and every once in a while someone will say something that makes things pop into my head that I haven't thought about in years and years.

My Dad has smoked all his life.  I wonder what those stats are.  Percentage of kids who smoke who have had smoking parents.

AC

OK - I know that this was a totally random post - sorry.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 108
Amount Saved: $47.52
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 20 Mins: 42 Seconds: 40

Hi Bryan  There you go ! Hot SiO2 quit with Chantix so he knows what you'll be going through in relation to the Chantix. Picked up some walnuts , pecans , etc. at the market today ( the kind you have to crack open ) After xmas sales are good. Thought they might be a little better than just stuffing myself. Have to spend time cracking them open , etc. A good time waster and I'm starting to look like a beached whale Let us know how you're doing. breather 58 Addict 0
My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 58
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,900
Amount Saved: $1,392.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 17 Mins: 33 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bryan...

Dont' worry about trying to cut down all that much!  The Chantix is going to make the whole smoking process dreadful!  After a few days on Chantix, the cigs start to taste like crap and the "buzz" you get from them will also diminish!  Consequently, you'll definitely begin to cut back just because you will no longer get the satisfaction from smoking.  The main thing,  though, is that after you do quit, the cravings will be there, but the intensity will not be as bad!  At least that is what I experienced!  Start psyching yourself up, buddy!!!  You CAN do this!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 308
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,700
Amount Saved: $1,270.50
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 3 Mins: 32 Seconds: 32

• Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 16

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Bryan  Excellent. I'll be cheering for you. Keep lots of ice ( cold ) water handy for the craves , mints or hard candy. Sunflower seeds or whatever kind of nuts. Looking forward to the journey. breather 57 Addict 0
My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 57
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,850
Amount Saved: $1,368.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 13 Mins: 48 Seconds: 52

15 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the welcome Todash. Thanks Jim, I appreciate the tips and will keep them in mind. Thanks Josie for the support.

Hey Breather, I can see where youre coming from and have read that somewhere also. and once my quit date has arrived (which I think I am going to move up to Jan 11th) then there will be no more trying to cut back. I just thought if i could lower the level of nicotine in my body by 50-75 % it would be less shock. which maybe wishful thinking on my part. Breather i appreciate the suggestions always, and Hope You guys are close by next week....lol

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/15/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -315
Amount Saved: $-39.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -83338

15 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC.  You clearly want this if you're on your fourth go, so don't quit quitting, when the time is right it will happen - make that time NOW.  I see you do woodworking as a hobby, more of that, keep those hands busy!  With 2+ packs a day, you certainly have a bit of habit in there.  Wishing you all the best -

x T

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 737
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 16,966
Amount Saved: £4053.5
Life Gained:
Days: 65 Hrs: 0 Mins: 17 Seconds: 43

Reading this thread: