Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

NEED SOME ADVICE

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I gotta admit, regular crispy bacon is very tasty...but Canadian bacon(back bacon or peameal bacon up here) is also very good as Mike says.  And way less fat!!!!!
I'm talking about all this wonderful food since I've just finished a day and a half fast for a test I just had.  Right now,  I could easily murder anything on a bun!!!!

Cheers,  Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 102
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,550
Amount Saved: $841.50
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 15 Mins: 38 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, Mike.... I have the crispy bacon maybe once a week for breakfast with scrambled eggs... no more - my triglycerides are high enough already to play russian roulette with that Derringer...
patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 111
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,775
Amount Saved: $1,248.75
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 16 Mins: 6 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
way to go patrick !

i have a suggestion for a good tasting lean meat , canadian bacon. it's great on it's on or on salads.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 57
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,710
Amount Saved: $513.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 8 Mins: 20 Seconds: 14

For anyone who's interested... I read the newly published book by Gary Taubes 

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 15 Mins: 51 Seconds: 1

Hi guys,

Just want to say that I started serious dieting a week or 10 days ago and, again, it's simplicity itself. I got rid of as many obvious carbs as i could.  

Bread
Potatoes
Crackers & Chips
Peanuts
Candies
   As a sole substitute I cook a pot of Basmati (white) rice and, about four times a week,  I eat just two fistsfull once a day  with all my Chinese stuff... meat and peppers and celery and carrots and lots of onions. It cooks in the wok ( Teflon Wok) in about 2 minutes and all the effort is in the preparation of the veggies. I am generous with the Oyster sauce and Soy and use about 1 tablespoon of Olive oil and lots of Thai chili sauce (about a teaspoon) which is already laced with garlic....

I have dropped about 5 pounds or 2 kilos since I gave up the huge amount of carbs I normally consume... I used to eat at least three sandwiches per day which was just plain lazy eating and steady munching on peanuts and chips during the boring TV hours... didn't want to prepare & cook.  So, I'm down from 250 and it's falling fast... my track pants have to be tied up around my waist now as they aren't held up by my fat gut so tightly.

Putting on the weight after the beginning of my quit was an absolute hazard to my health and chronic foot & knee pain. But I let it go with almost daily delivery foods - ( pizzas and french fries and candy..etc) and just concentrated on my quit for the first few months... but now it's time to lose about 50 - 60 pounds ( about 25 of which can be attributed to overeating after the quit) and I have a lock on it now.

Hell's Bells, it one addiction after another!!  Now I'm stuck on fizzy diet, no-caffeine sodas... will it be DIY liposuction next or DIY plastic surgery??

Patrick

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 15 Mins: 50 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I've been smoke free for 31 days and gained 10 pounds. I've actually been eating less (junk food) because I'm using the Thrive lozenges, so it definitely is the change in metabolism. I bought myself a pedometer and went for a 1 mile walk today. Also bought some Weight Watcher chocolates (Pecan Crowns and Mint Patties) only 150 calories for 3. I do have to have my chocolate fix after all. I've also stocked up on lots of fresh fruits. With the nice weather coming I hope to go for much longer walks. I expected to gain some weight once I quit smoking, but it's time to do something about it when my clothes feel like they've shrunk a little every time I put them on. At least they don't stink of cigarette smoke any more.Good luck to you.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 31
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 775
Amount Saved: $279.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 9 Mins: 11 Seconds: 46

15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I've been smoke free for 31 days and gained 10 pounds. I've actually been eating less (junk food) because I'm using the Thrive lozenges, so it definitely is the change in metabolism. I bought myself a pedometer and went for a 1 mile walk today. Also bought some Weight Watcher chocolates (Pecan Crowns and Mint Patties) only 150 calories for 3. I do have to have my chocolate fix after all. I've also stocked up on lots of fresh fruits. With the nice weather coming I hope to go for much longer walks. I expected to gain some weight once I quit smoking, but it's time to do something about it when my clothes feel like they've shrunk a little every time I put them on. At least they don't stink of cigarette smoke any more.

Good luck to you.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 31
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 775
Amount Saved: $279.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 9 Mins: 11 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ohhhh....thank goodness someone can feel my pain!  I've eaten more in my 3 days of quit than I normally do in a week.  I am trying to stay on healthy, but I'm eating so much it gets old.  I think I will try breaking the cookies!
[B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
15 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Woo Hoo!!!!! Gonna! I'm so glad to see you on the boards. Glad you're posting!!!! I say a snack is better than a smoke! I think you should be ignoring any covertly placed scale. LOL Do you still have your snack basket? ((((hugs)))) Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $824.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
15 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heehee.............. Today at work I turned my desk chair upside down looking for some covertly placed scale that digitally reads out on the HR directors computer. Seems everytime I sit down, log on to my computer, there is an email from that %$@*&^! about the hazards of being overweight! Do you think I am being paranoid? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 602 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 36,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,816.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 65 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23

Reading this thread: