Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

My feelings today

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi cammy
i have been off the internet for a while.  The weekend was a bit tough and I need a bit of me time.

Can I ask a few personal questions?

wow two teen sons in the house?  How did you find the courage to have a family ?  I have two children and I sometimes run out of courage ... so I do not know how I will get to teen years   ESPECIALLY with the princess diva I have (no offence ot the forum's Diva please). 

You mention living with instability and relying on your wife.  How did you find the courage to move on?  I am stuck in a job I no longer am happy with and want new challenges ... but am scared silly of the real world outside of this place.  My husband says go for it, but is he lying?  How to tell?  Will he ... Can he... how do I know...
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEy Cammy,

I would like to echo Goofy. And yes we are here for you. I also think you got great advice from Karen! Hang in there!
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cammy, hang in there.  Those are tough ages for boys and two at one time.  Thinking about you and reading your posts.  You are not alone!
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Cammy,

You've been through alot and we feel for your continuing struggle.  Try some relaxation techniques to bring the heart rate down and try not to over exert yourself during exercise (take intermittent breaks).  You somewhat hinted to relationship difficulties with your children; I recommend that you go through the Relationship Inventory Worksheet and also the Communication Analysis Worksheet to help you sort through and improve your interactions with family.  Let us know if you require help or feedback with the activities.  Don't give up!

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My heart has been super high ever since having had encephalitis,  not sure what else was done, and I do have to go for another mri sometime.  Every time I had to run in phys-ed, my heart would shoot way up.  I could sprint and beat the socks off just about anyone in the class, but in a long distance run I crashed after 200 or so metres.  The first time out for a run after having been sick, I remember running,  we had to run around a city block.  200 metres out I had to stop and walk doubled over, totally winded and with a pain in my side.  At the time I remember asking myself, "what happened?"  Why cant I run?.  This was 6 months after having been sick.  I did get a little better at running but not much.   I was always last one in, and even a couple of "overweight" boys who ran back with me were not even working as hard as I was to keep up.  So,  ever since, I have had this problem and all it does is tire me out.  It cheated me out of being able to do the sports I wanted.  At the boys school I so much wanted to "fit" in and I wanted to do more but I could not.  I was also bugged by the phys-ed teachers for being last.  Until that bug, I never had a problem of keeping pace with the other boys. 
As far as my son, he's 12.   have another son, 15, and sometimes he can be a pain in the butt too!

Hey Cammy,

Have you thought of speaking to your doctor about the fast heartbeat? There might be something they could do about that at least! 

As for your son, how old is he?
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. 

Today,  I am tired, not feeling good either.  Went to the "Y" to work out.  darn heart rate shot way up as usual, (165) but wont come down much today.  I guess thats why Im so tired right now. Its still over 100 and been a couple of hours since I been there.    I would give so much to be able to get  rid of the horrors and misery of my past.  Its not going to happen unfortunately.  I wish I could escape.  Last night son spent an hour screaming, swearing, etc at me an wife.  I dont need that, nor does my wife.  I want out.

Hey Cammy,

Well I never had a brain infection or anything like that. But you are right about saying none of us asked for this. I have no idea why in my family I am the one who has these types of problems. Is it all my fault and in my head? ISn't that a weird question, is it all in my head? Where else would it be? My brain is in my head, so part of my depression comes from there lol. It is certainely not in my feet! Ok, but I digress... What I am trying to say, is I don't know why I am the one with the anxiety and mood disorders. Thee are definitely tendencies in both sides of my family but why did the worse of it all fall on me? Is it my personnality, am I defective, lazy, scareddy-cat, whiny?  Who knows. And at this point in my life I really have stopped caring why it happened to me. I didn't ask for it but it happened to me. I am the one who got really sick. I did not ask for it  but one day I just had to ask, ok, well now that it did happen to me, what am I going to do about it?

As for being angry, I get it, I went through that too. I think we all at one point go through that. I felt angry it happened to me. I felt angry that it robbed me of the success, joy, happiness that others had in their life. I felt angry that it robbed me of sooo many good years of my life. I was angry that I felt so angry and worthless. But eventually I had to come to terms with this and use the energy I spent on anger to fuel my own recovery. Acceptance was one of the first steps to recovery for me.

But I remember sitting there, living in a big black pit of despair. I remember when just breathing was a huge task in my day. I remember wondering why the pain and suffering of it all didn't just kill me. I remember feeling like all my efforts were for naught...But they were not!

It took me a long time to get to where I am. And I still have a way to go. But the efforts paid off! I tried and tried and tried and eventually I found things that worked for me. And then little improvements appeared in my life, then more....I got better.

Now, at the moment, I am in a bit of a slump. I overdid things last year and got too tired and such. But my life now is still soooooo much better then it was. And I know that I will find ways to get even better.

And hey, if I can do it anyone can. There is absolutely nothing special about me at all!

All of this to say, I may not have gotten sick and I may not have as much "biological" reasons to my depression. But I do get how it feels to feel like you are in pitch darkness and nothing will ever improve. I know how it feels to think tomorrow is too much to bear. It can get better. It does! So hang in there! I know it is hard, I agree it is. But it gets better. I wish I could give you a bit of that, a bit of the belief I hold within myself that it really can get better.

I hope you find that for yourself, your hope. In the meantime, we are here for you, We are here to try and understand you. We are here to try and share our experience and share what worked for us, to cheer you on and support you. So hang in there, work the program, vent and vent away with us. This too shall pass!
I suppose one of the "things" holding me back is that for so many years I was told that if I work hard I will have "success".  In some ways, I have worked so much harder than others and yet I have nothing to show for it.  ,,,,  so why should I change anything now??
Sometimes I feel just too overwhelmed to be bothered to try and change for the better. Sometimes I just want to give up, throw the towel in and say "good bye".  It seems like just tooo much work to be bothered doing.  Heck,  I never asked for these problems, I never asked for that dam infection.  why should I have to try and fix something that I never asked for?!

I know,- we're all kinda in the "same boat", as none of us asked for depression or whatever.     Its just that I have given so darn much for so many years and never made any gains.  instead, just sliding downhill all the time going backwards. 

Reading this thread: