Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Pleasant Activities

8 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bumping up this thread today for everyone and watching the ice skating world championships out of Canada on the television with my little tabletop tv antenna. I am So happy that I disconnected my cable tv service and landline phone. Now I can relax with some quality programs again on my 5 channels. I have been getting lots done around here while I wait for the clinic to call and schedule my sigmoid scope. Hopefully we can find out what's causing all my pain and bleeding and treat it. Anyway keeping busy is my way of dealing with my anxiety but today I finally ran out of steam and am resting with some less active pleasant activities. Watching the tv, doing a little hand sewing, and maybe start reading a new mystery on my kindle..Well that's for me...Till next time....Red..
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,
I'm so happy you took my post in the right way....I reread it and thought maybe it sounded like I was trying to tell you what to do...which I never would...it was my way of trying to cheer you up...
Keep up with the "scratches"..I bet they are really art!!Yea, you make sense....I understand now what you were getting at.
speaking of laundry...off to throw a load in now
Juanita
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Juanita... thanks for your reply...( I'm sooooo glad you are back.  You were missed... at the same time, we were all thrilled you had the wonderful time with your husband.)  Yes, I guess I was out of sorts the other day.  Feeling discouraged. You inspired me to get back to doing some ink scratches   

However, I've also used the knowledge of this core belief (I need something tangible to feel productive) to make sure each day has something to show for my passage... other than more dirty diapers in the pail. One way I'm trying to turn this around is by catching up on the housework while the baby is sleeping.  Sounds obvious.  But it wasn't for me.  I find all day bbsitting to be very exhausting, so any time she naps, I thought I should save my energies... take a nap, be on the computer playing games or perusing these help sites, or reading.  My efforts to rest... actually were draining my energy too.  Does that make any sense?

If I get up earlier and throw in a load of laundry and vacuum the floor for my crawler grand bb, I feel energized ... more so than sitting on the couch drinking my coffee for an hour trying to prepare for the day by resting.  So, I'm not having to change my core belief... so much as use it in a positive way.  Doing those tangible things... then leaves my mind clearer to enjoy the quiet, non-tangible, things you talk about....  or just sit and enjoy watching my granddaughter play... being still, not exhausted!

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,
Just read your post about how you need something tangible out of an experience as proof that it was relaxing and pleasant. Well, you know what ? I don't believe thats true.. 
 I don't think anything is a waste of time really..its all  just part of our journey..
I think maybe youre just out of sorts today...think of all  the things that bring pleasure without something"real"..here's some of my fav's...
a nice long hot bath, reading a good book, looking at my hummingbirds feed in the new feeder, a nice chat with a friend, daydreaming, coming on here and reading about geese in love...you get the idea....add some of your own to the list..and that probably will cheer you up!
as for your "scratches of ink"..when we were in SF there were "artists" in this park....man oh man..I can do better than that I thought...so someone's scratches are another's treasure! See, put a positive spin on everything..it can be done!! Believe it...people were buying this "art "!!
Thinking of you,
Juanita

13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love the goose picture and the stories.  Long ago I lived in Pennsylvania, right on a migratory route for many, many flocks of Canadian Geese.  Oh, how I miss them!  I was obsessed with them at the time and wrote stories and drew pictures of them for the kids.  Something about them is just so moving.  We had a pond where they would stop and rest for a bit.  Gosh, I haven't thought about he geese in a long while.  Unfortunately, as I do with most of my artwork, I threw away all the the geese related work.  This is a sad thing to remember.

As for pleasant activities... I have discovered that any activity I do must produce something tangible to prove I was productively engaged.  Otherwise it is a waste of time and certainly not pleasant.  This is a sad way to live.  Even the Zentangling has lost it's appeal because I'm not "producing" any good pictures... just practicing scratches of ink, no real pictures.  Yup... that is a pretty sad way to live.  I'm guessing this is a good example of a negative core belief.  How do I turn this around into a positive?  I feel lost and forlorn. 
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

I enjoyed reading your story about the pair of geese that return to your pond to see you every year..They are a pair bonded for life..I am glad to two of them are still together...Now I have a beautiful picture and  beautiful story to save in my mind..
I posted this with cut and paste on my clipboard/notepad on my computer..Man what a hassle!!! What a pain!!! I did learn how to do it though..Not sure I could do it again. I will stick with my regular method of posting. Typing a thought and posting. Done finished..Other wise it not worth doing and way to stressful.....

Now two more of my favorite plesant activites..

Loungeing around the house with my partner on a quiet Sunday and listening to Bluegrass Gospel music on the xm radio..

Does anyone else have any pleasant activities that they would like to share?

Sid...

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sid,aka my friend Red.

That is the male goose his lady is not with him because she was off on the nest. They come back every year and are back again this spring. They seem to be smart enough to not get shot on the way home each year, but only a few of there offspring have come back. The pond is right behind the house. They are pretty old so I don't expect any more babies. Some times I see the ones from the higher ponds as they pass through on there way to the river. They go to the river as soon as they turn from yellow balls of fluff to gray adolescents. In the mean time I enjoy them.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

I love your new pic of the Goose on the pond..

Another beautiful and relaxing picture in my mind...

Looking at this picture is what I call a pleasant activity for sure..

Thank you so much so putting it up today....

Your friend,
Sid aka Red

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just sitting around and relaxing in my p.j.'s all weekend..

Red.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't posted to this thread in a long time and forget how important pleasant activities really are..So today I am getting back to the basics. I am going to spent the day sewing. Which is one of my pleasant activities that I really do enjoy.. Red

Reading this thread: