Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

My first day without nicotine!

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi paradox,

I hope you haven't left us. Realize that each quitting attempt is a learning experience. The average number of quit attempts before finally making it is 7. (And it's OK if you are above or below the average, too. That number is just to illustrate that most of us take several tries to get there.)

People can and do learn from their slips, just as a baby learns to walk when he/she falls. It is all part of the process. The important thing is to get back up and try again. There may be some reflections and strategizing about that last fall, but ultimately, the goal is get up again. 

As for not feeling ready to let go, I think we all go through that. My letting go process took a while. It continued both during the preparation phase and during the quitting phase. ...And every once in a while, there will still be some insidious little thought that creeps out of my old addict's brain. But it is only once in a while, and it's short. Then I remember how lucky I am to be free of that. You can feel that way, too, someday.

In the meantime, your primary objective is to get through the current day without a smoke. That's the first step. That's how it starts. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paradox,

Welcome to our support community!

We have a great support system, program, and amazing tools to help guide you through all of this!

Prepare yourself for anything and post often as the members are great at posting support and knowledge!

WE LOOK FORWARD TO CELEBRATING WITH YOU!

Josie, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Paradox,
 Glad to hear you still want to quit. And by the time you read this I hope your still quit. Lolly has said a lot of good things that do make sense. You really need to be prepared for your journey. You have to keep your mind, mouth and hands busy the first few days too. Sucking on a straw helped me when I started my quit. It allowed me to have something between my fingers, I could inhale it, hold it, and blow it out just like the real thing. Sounds kind'a silly but it did help me. I also had a pocket full of lifesavers, another thing to keep my mouth busy. Something else you might try is deep breathing. Slowly in through the nose, hold, then slowly out through the mouth. It's simple things like these that help take the edge off of the urge to light one up. And don't forget the POSITIVE CAN-DO attitude. I think I can, I think I can... 
Stay strong my friend... 
  • Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 5

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Paradox,

What an amazing support group you have in both threads you posted!...I wrote on the other one. Th advice you have been given is invaluable, and I suggest you maybe try all of the ideas...it will help you to find the things that you can rely on to help you through.

On SSC, I am known for my tough love, no nonsense approach to quitting.  I want to say that perhaps you rushed into your quit...What did you have set up for the cravings for example?  You do need something to fall back on, or ideas to get you through.  Your brain needs rewards, so I'm glad you have read those ideas.  You said NRT's were no good because you were so weak.  I do not understand that co-relation.  What the NRTs do is take the edge of the initial mad physical cravings, allowing you to work on the habit times and psychological cravings.

Quitting is really quite complicated unless you have massive will power!  You slipped up!  Now the best idea for you is to take a little time and plan for your quit.  Do the programme here, read, post and try to follow the ideas.  Cold Turkey is hard, and I commend those who quit that way, but there is no shame in getting help either from NRTs, pills, or whatever!

I used 'whatever' myself........I smoked for 40 years and did try to quit from time to time, but never prepared myself until I found SSC.  I learned so much here.  I went to my doctor and he suggested I throw everything at my addiction, which I did.  Zyban first, then the patches, read all the books, made lists of coping strategies, did the programme here, I had Hypnosis tapes to use as I fell asleep, a plastic dummy cigarette, bottle of iced water.  I reckoned this was probably my last chance to quit forever, so I prepared mentally to be positive and strong, and to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke.  

BTW my husband also smoked and, at my request he carried on....so I did have the smell of fresh smoke around in the evenings.  I did not want both of us trying to quit at the same time.  All of the above is what you need to think about before you just say, "I'm a non-smoker again!"  There should be no again!

So I've been a bit harsh probably, but I do feel a bit of thought in advance will really help you to succeed.  Remember the 6 Ps   Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Stay Strong and Determined  and whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!!

Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't beat yourself up about the slip today. Brush yourself off and start again. Like Tim said, never quit trying to quit. Also, every time you put out a smoke you've become a non smoker...providing you never light the next one. it sounds like you're getting there, getting ready. Lots to think about and read. Hang in there Paradox!
10 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're completely right. I'm going to try again without anything! The question is, when should I stop?

How about the time I send this post?

The current UK time/date is: Thursday 01 May (00:31am)

I am now a non-smoker again. 
Hi Paradox,
 Sorry to hear about your slip today. When I decided I was ready to quit, I decided to use NRT, the patch. I really didn't think I could do it cold turkey. I smoked a little over a pack a day. The patch actually worked for me at the start. I wound up getting allergic reactions to it in the 4th week, but by then, I had enough confidence to go on without it. It took away the physical urge to smoke and all I had to deal with was the mental part. So you tripped up today, you can always start your quit again tomorrow, or if you feel up to it, start again right now. Never give up, never surrender! Just keep trying...
  • Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your message. It seems that I've never wanted it 100% and the sad thing is, I don't think I will. I think that I'm so addicted, I can't listen to the person behind the addiction. I find that I truly want to give up on certain days, and then the motivation falls apart. I feel extremely weak and I messed up today (my first day)!!

I promised myself that I would go cold turkey. I bought an electronic cigarette earlier and started puffing away. That stupid chemical is in my body again and I'm back to square one.

*Feels very tiny* 
Hi Paradox,
 Welcome to the SSC. So you've tried everything under the sun trying to quit before huh? I've been reading what you and Motivated have been saying in this thread, and it does sound to me, like you're just not sure if you really want to quit yet or not. I'm not sure if it's because of the other smokers in your house or you're just not really sure yet. In order for a quit to work, you have to really want it and be 100% committed to it. A positive attitude is almost a requirement in my opinion. If you're sure you want it, it can be done, but it probably will not be easy. If it was easy everyone that wanted to quit would quit, but it does take some work and LOTS of willpower. It takes about 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system, then it's all mental from there on. You can do it if you truly do want it. Since you've tried before, you pretty much know what to expect. Hell week, heck week, blah week and so on. There is a lot of good information in these forums, so be sure to read as much as you can. Maybe something in here will give you a little inspiration and that might be all you need for your quit to work. Never quit trying though, otherwise that nasty Nicodemon will win. I wish you the best on your journey to freedom. 
  • Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Ahh, I'll definitely check it out! Chewing things is a big love of mine, so I might pop to the shops in a bit :P 
I've been eating a LOT more than usual today too! 

Reading this thread: