Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

The Freedom Stage

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rswfire, The decision to quit smoking in itself is such a huge step in the right direction. It is important when deciding to quit, that we quit for the right reasons and that we truly feel we are ready to quit smoking. Honesty with one self is key to a successful quit. Be true to yourself and your endeavor to quit smoking and you will successfully succeed. If you have not, please take advantage of our free quit program as you access your glove compartment when logging on to our site. This program will help you through each step of the quitting process. Remember the SSC Support Team is always here to help you with your quit. Please keep us posted. Take Care, Melanie _________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rswfire, You sound to me like you are not resolved to quit smoking. Many people say.. see a counselor and get ready.. I know it sounds like a canned response but, I saw someone before I quit and I feel like it made all the difference. My craving feel weak and I feel strong. Find out how you feel about quitting.. and what drives you.. You are right.. you need to get ready.. that is part of the whole process.. go get some answers.. come back ready.. we will be here for you. Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 63 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freedom.....I wonder.......maybe fear? Fear of life without the little friend, our crutch, our.........whats the word I'm looking for........? On yes. Now I remember.............. our addiction. Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 404 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �285 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Do you think that maybe the "Freedom" scared you because you were so comfortable with the schedule of the nicotine making it's demands? Ya know, like someone getting out of a situation when someone else has been telling them for years when they can eat, sleep, talk etc not they are on their own and they don't know how to act independently (sp) Just a thought....good luck in your journey...watch my numbers as the grow....just yesterday it was a 2 days no smoke, now look at me! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 168 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rswfire, You're right "Not everything is just "junkie talking." but in this case, I think it is. None of us can convince you to quit... you have to be ready to do that on your own. We can support you, guide you amd offer advice, but we can't quit for you. So until you're ready to tackle that fear, no matter what it is of, then you'll stay a smoker still active in the addiction. Quitting is VERY scary... that's true. Whether your fear is of failure, of withdrawal symptoms, of being shunned by friends & loved ones who still smoke, of the unknown, or in your case - of the comfort... quitting is scary. No matter what your fear is, you MUST face that fear in order to conquer it. It's not easy to quit smoking, but it is SO worth it. And I've felt that freedom from smoking, and it's amazing! Once you experience it... REALLY experience it for several days at a time and don't even think about smoking whatsoever, then you have no idea how wonderful it is to be quit! I hope one day, you can experience that freedom and not be afraid of it! It really is a wonderful thing, but you have to want to quit and you have to be ready to quit. I hope that soon, you will be. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,499 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $326.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rswfire, Your melancholy view of your quit is very indicative of self-doubt and lack of confidence not only in the quit process, but in your life in general. I am not qualified to say that you may have depression, but you are certainly providing indicators that would point in that direction. I would suggest that you seek professional advice on whatever may be troubling you in your life and see if that can't have a positive effect on your approach to quitting. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 264 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,613 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $646.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$36,332.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9768 Hours: 0

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, rswfire. Your post smacks of junkie rationalization. Anything makes sense to you so long as it justifies or protects your nicotine addiction. As long as you continue to try to quit, learn from slips and try again, keep trying until you get it right, you have not failed. When you quit quitting, you have failed. Even if you quit quitting on the pretense of not wanting to fail. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 256 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $972.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think there could be some truth in what you say, Stoppin'. I've always found it difficult to maintain a healthy independence in my life. I live alone, and I have for many years, but I go through cycles where I'm productive, and when I'm not. And I'm constantly striving to create a structured balance to my life. It's almost like I lack the motivation to stick with one set of goals and follow through with them.
  • Quit Meter

$227,075.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 7312 Hours: 3

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Maybe you just can't relate to this, Katy. Maybe the freedom you experienced was uplifting to you. For some of us, maybe that's the very reason why we smoke. We smoke to constrain ourselves. I've read many books that discussed smoking as a way of limiting one's creativity and expression. Maybe I find safety in a lack of freedom. It's like living in poverty consciousness - one chooses to view life as limiting, and experiences it as such. My consciousness is accustomed to living with a serious lack of freedom. Hey, maybe it's because I'm gay. I spent the first twenty years of my life hiding my true self from my friends and family. It was very hurtful and damaging to myself. From the time I was twelve until I was nineteen, I supressed my true nature. When I came out, I felt a weight lifted from my body like none I've ever experienced before. That was uplifting. When I quit smoking, I felt that same weight lifted, only this time it terrified me. Not everything is just "junkie talking." Many people smoke for psychological reasons, and if you don't work out those psychological reasons, then the mind could never let go of the junkie. It would just lead to other self-destructive behaviors.
  • Quit Meter

$227,075.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I'm not ready to quit. I know that. I also know that the time I actually did quit for two weeks was very difficult, and that on the 15th day, I woke up and felt a freedom I hadn't felt in a very long time, or possibly ever, and that the freedom I felt was so profound that it actually scared me half to death. Within hours, I was smoking again. I am not going to set myself up for failure again. Until I can understand why the freedom scared me so much, it doesn't even make sense to me to try and quit. I am asking if anyone here has ever experienced that before. I'm looking for insight into this particular stage of quitting.
  • Quit Meter

$227,075.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: