Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Okay this is the deal

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky,

I was going around on trying to exercise more, and then I'd come home and eat more. I do truly love to eat, and having a big workout gave me reason eat even more. This was the case before I quit smoking, as well.  

I did look up information on how to burn more calories during a workout. Apparently, interval training (doing some high intensity work for a few minutes and then slowing down to moderate aerobic activity for a few minutes) all through out the workout can help with fat burning.

I also decided that I need to manage my eating a little better. Rather than deny myself or count calories, I am trying to focus on eating more slowly and stopping when I am full. I kind of got into the habit of wolfing things down right after I quit smoking. I think it was due to all those blood sugar fluctuations at the beginning of my quit. Since my blood sugar has long ago evened out, I really don't have an excuse for continuing to do that. 

I did a couple of sessions of hypnosis last week to work on eating only when hungry and stopping when full. (Sessions were free as there is a nearby school that teaches hypnosis, among other things.) My prior experience with hypnosis is that it doesn't produce immediate results. The message kind of gradually sneaks up on you, leading to change down the road. And, as was pointed out to me here, reliable scientific results on the effectiveness of hypnosis are difficult to find. ...But I figured that a couple of free sessions were still worth a try. Only time will tell if that worked or not.

Finally, remember that those extra pounds are nothing, compared to the burden of a continuing active addiction to a deadly substance. I'll take being a little more squishy over a cigarette any day. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,479.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 600 Hours: 20

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OMG the pounds are showing up   But I am not going to smoke.  I need to get my mind wrapped around on eating healthier foods.  Cookies and ice cream need to be used sparingly LOL.  I am working out, but I guess I need to find a way to burn more calories.  Open to suggestions.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
I gave myself one month to become a non-smoker.  I knew there would be some weight gain and since I lost so much while my husband was ill I figured I could gain some of it back.  Well I did and few extra .  But that is okay.  It doesn't have to be a permanent.  I haven't worked out much and today I returned to the gym.  I did weights and walked the treadmill.   My goal it to get to the gym at least 3 times a week, walk when it nice out and I have a big yard so there will lots of exercise there. And be more accountable to what goes into my mouth.  LOL  I have lost quits because of the weight gain, but NOT this time.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"But what is sad (kinda) is the number of days I had, but that is the past and this is the present."

Very good words to live by, Sparky.What has happened has happened. Each day you get on this earth is another day to try again to do better. I have occasionally slipped into regrets over all the years I've wasted with smoking. But those are unproductive thoughts, since all that I have is the precious now.  
I joined a gym when I quit. It was actually one of my rewards and it continues to be rewarding. I have gotten the most out of the yoga classes. There are so many benefits to both mind and body. And I really love how the instructors say things that are so kind, positive, and often philosophical. ...I don't believe there has been any real weight loss for me, and that might have something to do with my eating habits.   But I feel stronger, in better "shape," and calmer. It's definitely worth going. 

• Quit Meter

$22,479.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 600 Hours: 20

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Just looking at old messages and found this one LOL.  I haven't put on to much yet.  While my husband was sick the last couple months before he passed I lost weight and getting to thin according to some, but I don't want to gain a whole bunch this time.  That being said my quit comes first and the rest later.  With Spring here and lots and lots of stuff to do outside that should help.  I had put my gym membership on hold when he passed away and now I am ready to go back and that should help too.

But what is sad (kinda) is the number of days I had, but that is the past and this is the present.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent work Sparky!!!! 7 lbs. down is wonderful. You're just getting healthier every minute. You deserve it! Keep up the great work, Cheers, Jan :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $34.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
16 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOOO HOOOO!!! Congratulations on losing that 7 pounds!!That must make you feel great. You are getting one healthy body there! With all the work you have done - you deserve it!!! Keep at it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.46 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky - you're doing so well. I love Curves, but the hours they are open don't do well for me with work. We've been walking to the mall at lunch and around the mall. Today, with all the wind, and after watching biggest loser last night, we went to the little mall next door to our office and walked up the down escalator over and over again. It was a great workout and we think we'll do that more now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $246.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It has been four weeks now. I have been working really hard. Walking, curves and portion control. I am happy to report that I have lost 7 pounds. Last night I couldn't sleep because I was hungry. I kept telling myself that my body needed to use the fat cells to get me though. So I told the hunger pains, "listen you guys there are lot of fat cells out there go have a feast." I got up this morning and my biggest drop to date. Before I quit I never ate after dinner. With this quit I gave myself permission to get up and eat some animal crackers or string cheese. Those feed times always, without fail, came when I use to get up and have a cigarette. Now I am retraining my thoughts again. Anyway I am happy to see it leave. [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/osd1944/applerunani.gif[/IMG] Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 275 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $825.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is starting to come off, very slowly, but it is coming off. I really do believe in walking. I have been doing Curves and it is wonderful, but living in the North getting outside to walk is not an option for me. Sure I have a treadmill and I have started using that, whew. Hubby and I are now doing the mall walk thing until spring. Watching what I eat and yes keeping track of it and his too seems to be the answer. Not saying I will be in bikini shape by spring, but I will be back into my somewhat smaller clothes by then. :eg: I refuse to by larger clothes, so I will work at taking it off one day at a time or should I say one pound at a time or an ounce at a time LOL. Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 271 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,710 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $406.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13

Reading this thread: