Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

QUITTING WITH NICOTINE SUBSTITUTES

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is a totally wonderful thing that so many of you can quit cold turkey. I couldn't. I don't know exactly how many times I tried to quit, but I do know I could not have done it without the help of the patch. I needed to wean down and go off gently. But if you look carefully, the NRT's are simply a tool to wean us off nicotine at a slower pace and eventually (and technically) we all do have to go cold turkey at some point. Now I know around here, its a big argument as to which is better, but it's all a matter of choice, do what is best for you! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 335 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,534.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, Thanks for sharing with us. Like you said, it may be easyer for some people to quit "cold turkey" then others, and for those that choose to use NRT, as long as it helps them, all the better. We must not forget that cigarettes have a combination of dagerous and harmful chemicals along with nicotine, when NRT's simply provide the relief without all the additional chemicals. Congrats on your quit! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, I too am a cold turkey quitter. Because I think the way you do. I feel I'd rather just get it all out of my system and be done with the chemical part of it. Not to mention you get down to the nitty gritty of emotional triggers and can deal with them. But, I know there have been many people quit using NRT so I am not knocking them by any means. Just saying, I have raised the same question in my mind, hence, my decision to quit without it. I did use a patch once, for the first couple of days and then I just did away with it. So, I will say it helped me get over the hump. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A thought crossed my mind while I was replying to another discussion. That is, can you really say you have quit when you are still taking nicotine substitutes? Isn't part of the difficulty of quitting exactly that, eliminating nicotine intake. Don't the patches just postpone the day when you will have to take the big jump and stop. I know there are many opinions regarding cold turkey and other aids but isn't holding on to the nicotine intake just prolonging the agony and making some other companies rich (the products are not cheap) just as we did with the tobacco companies. Haven't we again been gullible to the marketing of products that we can do without. Tobacco companies sold us the image of Sexy Sophistication or Macho Marlboro Man, whatever suited your needs at the time. Now we are being encouraged to believe that the product that has gotten us to where we are, can somehow be less vile if injected into your system through another device. The idea that your quit will be less difficult with these products, or that poor you the addict could not possibly do anything without some help from your good friend the Nicodemon. Both my last quit (10 months) and this one have been done cold turkey. I guess that I don't have to describe the difficulty of doing so to any of you. However, I do believe that because by now nicotine has been eliminated from my system I am further ahead in the quit that somebody who still has to worry about reducing nicotine levels. I don't wish to suggest in any way that either cold-turkey or any other way is better, or easier, it is what works that counts, but do we still have to make some other nicotine hawker rich in the process. If governments were really serious and nicotine substitutes or other products really helped wouldn't you think that they would simply given out for free? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $364.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$408,852.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8153 Hours: 18

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.