Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

QUITTING WITH NICOTINE SUBSTITUTES

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, you actually asked 2 questions in your OP. If you didn't want them answered, why bother? My Canadian sensibilities are not the least offended, I was simply providing information. Again, you asked. I don't need you to commiserate with anything. I told that story only to illustrate that sometimes medical intervention in required. Home remedies and toughing it out don't always work. If you find it offensive that drug companies make money from NRT's, then don't use them, but don't question their efficacy in the face of first-person proof that they work for some people. And certainly don't question the validity of those quits. There are a few opinions here from those of us who have used them and aren't upset to have paid for them. They are less expensive than cigarettes and far less deadly. As I said, I have no problem with somebody making money off my stupidity. You have received a reply you can agree with? Well, since it seems that's what you were going for, good for you & I guess the discussion is over. Please? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 272 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,992.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh now I get it .Deck was sent here to save us from those unsavory commercial enterprises making money of us poor weak and dependant people.Geez Deck it never occured to me that car co's , tobacco co's,furniture co's,pharmacutical co's etc were trying to dupe this ignorant person out of my money silly me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 327 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,886 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 79 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Unhooked, for whatever reason I seem to be able to rattle your cage. I didn't actually ask any questions that needed to be answered, I merely supplied my views on the subject as the basis for discussion - the object of the exercise is to explore all of the possibilities available to us. I do not pretend to have all of the answers, and as I have repeatedly said, do not favour one method over the other. My gripe is with commecial enterprises making money on the back of weak and dependant people, of which I am certainly one, having been duped for a long number of years by the advertisements of the tobacco companies. Obviously I cannot commiserate with you on your childhood experiences as we evidently do not share similar ones, but my point was made in support of the comments made by Kiwi; comments that I agree with: --------------------------------------------------------------------- Society informs us of the need for a quick solution & an easy way out --------------------------------------------------------------------- I did not know that this site was a Canadian enterprise, so no offense should be taken by you as a Canadian as none was intended when I reacted to Penitent's post. Your claims of not being sensitive are belied by your gut reactions to what I would consider very inoccuous arguments. I certainly benefitted from visiting this site in the past, when I remained quit for 10 months. I am more than thankful for the help and support I got here, and despite the apparent duplicity of those that make the site available to us, I cannot be anything other than grateful. I am not looking this gifthorse in the mouth. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $455.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$408,852.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8153 Hours: 19

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aparently your memory's not that good Deck as I seem to recall this is your 2nd ??? try at quitting cold turkey. :quest: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 327 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,886 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 79 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
Oh, I forgot to point out that I am not only quit, I'm 272 days quit. Maybe in a couple hundred & 30 odd days, you want to talk about this some more? I'll be here. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 272 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,992.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Oh, fercrissakes, Deck. You do it your way & we'll do it ours. OK? I am quit, VERY freakin' quit. Somebody made some money off that. If they hadn't, somebody else would be making a lot more money off my smoking. I couldn't do it cold turkey, and I don't know what proof or evidence you're looking for. Are you saying the NRT ad's hook us? Who cares? If it works, it works, even if it's subliminal. Are you saying we get addicted to the NRT? I have only seen that once, with the gum, and in that case the quitter didn't really want to quit. I believe that person could chew gum forever and it would be too bad that she never got free of the demon lover but she would still be better off than if she had continued smoking. I am not in the initial stages of my quit and have never been particularly sensitive anyway, so trust me when I tell you, my feelings are not hurt. But it is becoming irritating that you will not accept an answer to your question. Do not talk to me about pragmatism or being catered to or home remedies until you have been laying on the floor with your septic foot in your dad's lap, completely trusting, while he pours whiskey on it & proceeds to dig out the sliver of shale with his jack knife. Thank god there was a neighbour there drinking with him who had the presence of mind to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital where I had intravenous antibiotics for 3 days, for septisemia. I could have died. I could also have died without the patch, Deck. I might still. But right now, today, I'm quit because of it & this site. Definitive enough for you? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 272 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,992.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After reading Penitent's post, I probably understand better the possibility of my post being erased or bumped into oblivion. What I can't understand is why people should take offense at whatever interpretations were given to my proposals erroneous or not. Many of us are particularly sensitive during the initial stages of our quits. It is hard enough to quit without somebody coming along and telling you, or suggesting you have gone the wrong way about it. I take your point Kiwi, society is constantly telling us that everything in life should be or could be made easier with our wonderful new product. Fortunately or unfortunately I am from a more pragmatic background, where if you wanted something you simply had to get up and get it. From a large family of 8 kids our individual tastes were most definitely not catered to on a daily basis. Throughout my childhood I believe I visited the family doctor about once or twice, and believe me this was not the exception at the time. Remedies for childhood illnesses were dished out in accordance with knowledge provided by mothers, grandmothers, and other family sages. To this day I still retain the idea that most common illnesses can be fought off by simple adherence to - it came alone - it can go alone. Despite having smoked for more than 35 years up to 4 packs a day, and wrecking my health in the process I still cannot justify recurring to comfort medicines just to eliminate the symptoms of the common cold or similar discomforts. I have the same difficulty with withdrawal symptoms, you got yourself into this and you should get yourself out of it. I think we should remember our quits sufficiently well in order not to want to go back there again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $455.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$408,852.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8153 Hours: 19

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gudday Deck, [quote] However what does surprise me is the reluctance on the part of some to even have this discussion. [/quote] I think most of us here are carefull what we say in the event someone takes offence or history repeats & the post misteriously dissapears (it happens) [quote] But I repeat that the evidence provided is not conclusive, as many of these studies were carried out or at least financed by the very companies who wish to sell the products. [/quote] I think you will find this is the case with most 'studies'. Society informs us of the need for a quick solution & an easy way out... bipedal primates are getting fat & lazy. Just don't smoke :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1134 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,690 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7,371.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 166 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$12,553.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 628 Hours: 1

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holy Crap, Deck! I didn't even look at your profile and just asumed! I-am-so-sorry! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 572 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 42,900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,725.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, You write your truth quietly and clearly; with good grace and common sense. You are to be applauded. All The Best Penitent d1362 :)
  • Quit Meter

$56,958.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 2

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.