Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,664 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

QUITTING WITH NICOTINE SUBSTITUTES

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]But nobody has yet said that there is a difference in quitting with one or the other.[/quote] Actually, Deck, I did. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 268 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,948.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck you still don't get it the object of the game is to quit smoking not because of the nicotine but because of the other things that the tobacco industry has introduced into their products.I got my nrts free gratise but it did,nt make any difference.What made the difference was this site pure and simple and if you want some insight read my original post under "an old new guy" and you'll get the picture. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 323 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,814 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,230.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to all of your for your different comments. Sorry for having ruffeled some feathers, but my point would seem to have been lost between whether we should continue a theme that has been discussesd before - known only of course to those of you who have been here long enough to remember - or if it is better to quqit cold turkey or with NRT's. As far as I am concerned we are being taken by the nose down the same road by the NRT manufacturers as we were by the cigarette manufacturers. I strongly believe that many resort to NRT's simply because we are now faced with constant advertising for these products as we were bombarded with advertisements for cigarettes in the past. If the products were to be given out free by concerned authorities, or even with reduced tax, I might go someway to accepting the idea of their usefullness. But nobody has yet said that there is a difference in quitting with one or the other. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,085 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $403.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$408,897.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8154 Hours: 18

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Unhooked, you make some very valid points. I also think it should be pointed out that although these topics of discussion are "old hat" to many of you, some of us "newbies" still need this conversation, and who better to advise us than the ones that have already "been there, done that" And for your comments based on your experiences, we thank you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, our kiwi sometimes makes his points in a pointy way, he never means any disrespect. Bear, maybe it's too soon for you to be out of your cave. I belong to another site where new discussions of old topics is discouraged. They would rather you search & bump the old thread & pick up the old discussion where it left off. That can be very tedious and there are many posts by people who have long left the site. This does not make their comments less valid, but it seems less interactive somehow. I like our way better. Now, on topic. I do not believe that it's impossible to quit without some kind of NRT or medication. However, there was a big, positive difference to me in using the patch compared to cold turkey. I found that the NRT allowed me the time to plan well for triggers, to consider the various ways in which my life was improving without cigarettes in it, and to look forward to my nicotine-free life rather than spending 2 weeks or more in hell, unable to think clearly, unable to sleep, crying, and treating everybody around me like crap. Yes, you eventually go cold turkey in a way, but for me it was easier and much more successful to have my turkey in a bun with some cranberry sauce, a little dressing and some mayo. I don't have a problem with anybody making a profit (I'm a banker, waddaya want?) and if someone (the drug companies) is smart enough to make money off my stupidity (smoking), I guess next time I should try to be the smart one. Whatever works for each quitter is the right thing for that quitter, and we patch, gum, Chantix & Zyban quitters are every bit as any cold turkey quitter. JMHO. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 267 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,937.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deck, you are doing wonderfull in your quit.. keep up the good work ! [quote] I guess the problems related to quitting have also been covered many times. Should we stop the discussions Kiwi, [/quote] Yes, the problems pertaining quitting have been covered many, many times. We are so privileged that this site is avaliable to us & that we have an endless supply of wealth / knowledge at our fingertips to help us gain knowledge in the fight to rid ourselves of nicotine addiction & enabling us to stay smoke-free. [quote] Should we stop the discussions Kiwi, so your hair doesn't curl any more. [/quote] No my hair is curly now so it doesn't matter.. keep the discussions coming !. [quote] I thought that the purpose of the forum was in fact to discuss, whether or not the content of the discussion is to your agreement or not. [/quote] Yes, good discussions.. the livelier the better even if they're not to my agreement. Keep up the good work, you are doing extremely well :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7,345.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 166 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$12,572.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 629 Hours: 1

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I get your point Pen I really do.But if were going to have a discussion can we at least come up with something a little more creative than cold turkey vs nrt's that poor old horse has been beaten to death. LMAO. Sorry your football team lost on the weekend. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 322 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,796 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear, You miss my point but it doesn't really matter. Have a nice day. Penitent d1358 :)
  • Quit Meter

$57,013.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1129 Hours: 6

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Penitent I agree but whether a person quits cold turkey or uses nrt's seems mute to me the object of the game is to quit smoking .Whether the drug companys make a profit or not I could care less.Now if somebody has a problem with the drug companys making a profit take it up with them.To imply that I have lowered my opinion of myself because I smoked is bull.I have used both methods of quitting cold turkey and nrt's makes no difference to me.As you well know there are horses for courses and far be it for me too look down on any method that gets a person free of addiction in this case smoking. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 322 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,796 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If we stopped posting on topics, hot or not, just because they have been debated before, this place would soon sink into the sterility of "HI I'm new" and a reducing number of "WOW I'm One Million days quit today" with nothing in between. There would be an intrinsic lack that might just see people disappear from the site faster than they do today, potentially straight back to the tobacco kiosk. We need to hold them to help them and to do that we need to bring to the forum all the subjects that are important to new quitters. It can get heated at times but so can life! Same old saying always springs to mind at this point � "Take what you need and leave the rest!" For my part, I am here to quit smoking and help others to quit. Penitent d1358 :)
  • Quit Meter

$57,013.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1129 Hours: 6

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.