Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Craves and Triggers

17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK Pen... enlighten me here. What do you want to call this. Today, I'm having a pretty crappy day. I want to smoke. It is a crave caused by an emotional trigger. Emotionally today I'm a basket case. I guess I woke up and just felt like taking a ride on that stupid emotional roller coaster again. I won't smoke. That simply isn't an option for me anymore but I can physically taste that cigarette in my mouth right now. What do you call that?????? Stop the world. I want off. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 356 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1246 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
Well Rob... the "THING" is still here too. :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 356 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,129 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1246 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
Phillip, I still experience craves and triggers. The craves are rare and the triggers come and go. There is nothing wrong with you. I often feel the same when everyone talks about how easy the quit is. It hasn't been easy for me either. I have watched your quit and we have been through a lot of the same. Keep going. You are doing fine! BTW the craves do go away and only resuface occassionally now. Just give it a bit more time. Everyone's quit is different. Just don't smoke and you will be fine! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 353 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,069 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1235.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wasn't going to respond to this thread, since it was originated due to my post that said "I'm not sure there is much of a difference and the difference in semantics is a moot point and is about as useful as a 2 legged table." Therefore, everybody knows my position on this issue, and I don't need to restate it, but I do want to ask one question. Why? Why is it important? Why on earth is knowing the difference between a crave, a withdrawal symptom, a memory, a trigger or a smoking thought important? To me, it's like the difference between dinner and supper. Some people call it dinner, and others call it supper... either way, it's eaten at the same time and it nourishes your body the same way, so who the hell cares what you call it?!?!?! The same is true with the difference between craves and triggers. Either way, they can occur several years down the line (as was illustrated by this post) and that was the point of the original post that sparked this and several other posts in this forum... the original poster said that it's discouraging to new members to see people posting that they are craving late in their quits (excuse me if I paraphrased wrong). Then, that sparked a whole discussion related to the difference between these different words. [b]WHO THE HELL CARES IF YOU CALL IT A CRAVE OR A TRIGGER OR A SMOKING THOUGHT OR A MEMORY?!?!?!?![/b] It makes NO difference!!! To say that you don't get cravings, but you do get triggers is only going to confuse new members (and old ones too :) ). Rob, I LOVE your father's saying! That's quite witty (and also a little graphic). Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 235 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,891 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $970.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
Breaking Free, If knowing the difference between all of these words helps you, then so be it. Whatever helps you quit is worthwile. I do think that there are definitely differences between them... I guess I just don't really care. When I get hit with a craving or a smoking thought or whatever you want to call it, I can't say to my mind, "Oh, it's OK. That's not a craving... it's a memory (or a trigger or a smoking thought)." My brain doesn't care! All my brain cares about at that point is that it's happening. Maybe it shouldn't happen at this late date, but it does. I do not think that there's anything wrong with me because it does happen because I know that I'm not alone in these late-quit craves, but the fact is that they DO happen. The only thing that I see wrong with saying that you don't crave after a certain amount of time (say 30 or 100 days) is that I think that gives quitters a false sense of security. They think that they won't experience any intense desires for cigarettes after that time. So, when they get an intense desire to smoke, whether it be a crave, a memory, a trigger or a smoking thought, they either think #1 something is wrong with them or #2 they get relaxed and don't expect it and therefore buckle under pressure. This is the danger with saying that you don't get cravings late in a quit. Pen, Duffis, Breaking Free and the rest, I hope nothing I said offended you. As always, I give my opinions freely and enjoy hearing yours and debating with you. There is no right or wrong here... as long as we don't smoke. That's all that matters. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 236 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $974.68 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
Well said Breaking Free! I think that's something EVERYONE can agree on. ;p Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 236 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $974.68 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob I am going to side with you on this and I haven't even discussed this one with Duffis and I'm not going to - what the hell my opinions are mine just like my quit. I am an alcoholic and have been sober for over 20 years now. There are just some things that can really pi** me off and I'll may be think a drink would sure tase good. But then I choose not to drink anymore just like I get a crave for a smoke and remind myself that I choose not to smoke any more either. No disrespect meant Pen and Duffis you guys are just a little hard nosed yet and that's ok also. Pete [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,828 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $444.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$567,712.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5343 Hours: 4

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 832 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Pen and I TOTALLY AGREE with every word in your post. Hopes this helps some of the new people. Duffis [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 491 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,738 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1261.87 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 98 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$283,856.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6812 Hours: 13

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phillip, Pen is not saying that there's anything wrong with anyone. He knows, perhaps better than most, that everyone's quit is different. Folks with very long term quits like Pen and Duffis have the benefit of hindsite to go back and analyze the various craves, triggers, bumps in the road. However, we are all the victims of trying to help one another with one giant limitation: the English language. Please take what you need, leave the rest, and don't let it offend you. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 553 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,493 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1935.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 76 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$54,839.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 13

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 296 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Pen..... :) I don't think I could have explained it any better! I agree ..... There is a HUGE difference between a "crave" and a "trigger". I guess sometimes understanding the difference between the two can be difficult.......but understanding will come with time :)
  • Quit Meter

$17,535.57

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 790 Hours: 6

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: