Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Craves and Triggers

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stay positive and determined and I doubt you will ever regret quitting Mark. Make your quit what you want it to be. You can do this. You really can. Congrats on your 9 days. Don't look back. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,255 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 19

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

There is nothing wrong with me or anyone else saying they do not crave. Just like there is nothing wrong with you saying that you have a crave 100 days into your quit if you have one. We are all telling the truth about our own experiences. When you say that you crave ... you say that should not scare people. So when I say I do not crave, by the same token that should not give anyone a false sense of security. Our quits are all unique ... they are what they are. And we all must learn to own our own unique quit/experience. I can only share what has worked with me. And you can only share what has worked for you. We can all ask each other questions ... but in the end we all have to make up our own minds. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

As with anything ... knowledge is power. There is a difference between all these words. Humor yourself and read on. Craving: to want greatly : NEED Trigger: something that acts like a mechanical trigger in initiating a process or reaction Memory: a : the power or process of reproducing or recalling what has been learned and retained especially through associative mechanisms b : the store of things learned and retained from an organism's activity or experience as evidenced by modification of structure or behavior or by recall and recognition Withdrawal: the discontinuance of administration or use of a drug (2) : the syndrome of often painful physical and psychological symptoms that follows discontinuance of an addicting drug In my opinion, it is important to know what these words mean. These words are the enemy. And we are fighting a war. Who is going to go into war unprepared? We are fighting for our lives. I am going to arm myself anyway I see how. By knowing the enemy, by better understanding the enemy ... we can figure out how to fight them and win. For my WITHDRAWALS, I know that I can sweat these out, that they will pass. The drug can not stay in me forever. For my MEMORY, I know that I can make new memories. I can place nonsmoking memories on top of smoking memories so that I can start breaking the association with a smoking life into a nonsmoking life. For my TRIGGERS, I know that I can now stop the 'initiation' of the process by changing my old behavior and thoughts. For my CRAVES ... well I do not have craves anymore ... but if I did or if I do in the future, I know I can use my coping mechanisms and that the crave WILL pass. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,224 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you so much Pentinent for your post. That is what I have come to realize over the last 3 or 4 days ... and it is helping me a lot with my quit. I really appreciate your wise words. And Phillip ... there is no ONE way or ONE truth. We all have to find our own truths ... our own quits. We have to do what works for us. Do not question your quit. Look at you, you have 120 days ... you are finding your way just fine. Do not let me trying to find my way effect you or your journey. We are on different roads ... going to the same destination. Different, but the same. It is a good thing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $152 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$54,499.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, You're on the right track! Get back to basics. Use the same strategies that got you through hell week. Don't forget to reward yourself. Stay strong. Smoking only becomes a distant memory if you KTQ. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Penitent and thanks for this! To me, cravings relate to Nicotine withdrawal (which takes only a few days to leave the body). Triggers relate to memories (of smoking). Cravings are more intense, but we still have to be on our guard for the triggers! As I keep saying here, I think that once we have beaten the addiction, it is only a matter of time before the triggers are nothing but a mild irritation Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,795 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �945 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete and Pam- when you start to agree with me, look out! And Pete- you are so right...you own your quit, not anyone else; it is uniquely inspiring and agonizing to us all, individually. No offense to anyone; and I love a post like this, but if all it took was to know the difference between a crave and a trigger to succeed, then the successful abstinence rates for 1 year of nicotine would be more like 75% instead of 5%. Sad, but true. ;p Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,913 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1098 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Lady- you call it "Thing" btw, I know what you mean and it isn't fun :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 124 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,978 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1116 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
There's a big difference between ice, water, and steam. But they're all the same thing. Personally, seems like (as my father used to say) "picking the fly poop out of the pepper". :eg: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1089 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[url=[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/nosmoking.gif[/IMG]][IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/nosmoking.gif[/IMG][/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 208 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,302 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $967.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: