Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Craves and Triggers

17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you Penitent I got it now,(about time) I'm usually a fast learner... I didn't have a crave going to the gym ,I had a trigger it went away in 3 seconds, I passed in front of the store where I used to buy the cigs. Well glad that's cleared up no more cravings just distant memories.... :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,574 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $416 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CHEERS PENITENT IT IS GOOD TO KNOW. I HAVE BEEN READING AND READING AS BF SAYS KNOWLEDGE IS POWER JUST SEEMS THAT I READ TOO MUCH TODAY AND A COUPLE OF THREADS I HAVE READ PUT ME IN DOUBT AND PUT SORROW INTO MY HEART.BUT NOW I KNOW AND REALISE IT IS WORTH IT AND THAT IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE GIVING SUPPORT TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY NEED IT AND THANKS I DID NEED IT [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 343 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �82.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
cheers for that bf i have just been on another thread and bin reading, with your GOOD AND WISE ADVISE and seeing john with 3 yrs on his meter has explained a few things and removed a bit of the smoke from my eyes......... think i didnt really plan for after i quit silly really i got so wrapped into startin the quit i never really gave the long term a second thought but with freinds like you i will come to terms and deal with not smoking. THANKS :8|: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 343 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �82.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
i had a goal to stop smoking which i believe i have done yippee i knew it may be tough for a while <6monthish> but eventually i would get to a point that i would put smokin on the shelve forever and not even think about lighting up or ever think about havin a will to resist ever again. I know i sound pretty nieve but i am especially when it comes to fight nicodemon im just a bit concerned that after many many days long long into the future that smoking in some form will haunt me for the rest of my days through my own thoughts triggers or cravings.........................i hacan some one reasure me that it`s not like that and i should carry on with my quit rather than start smoking again as i do not believe i will be able to live my life denying my body a pleasure it once knew and if it keeps reminding me i think i would go insane [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 341 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �82.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/bump231.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 136 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $544 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 20

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

In the beginning of my quit I found that my trigger (the memory or thought of smoking) blended in with my crave (the desire to smoke). The reason why is because my coping skills had not be practiced enough and I had not spent enough time doing the new things I had added to my life. I also found that the more I practiced my new life/coping skills and the more active I was in my new activities, the more separated my triggers and craves became. As I continued to be aggressive in my recovery the easier it was to stop a trigger in it's tracks to keep it from become a crave. As I continued to educate myself and unbrainwash myself of this sick addiction, the more the crave left because it became ingrained in my mind how much I TRULY DID NOT WANT a cigarette ever again. If you don't want to smoke, you don't crave it. You may experience a thought/memory/trigger, but you don't want to smoke/crave. It just isn't an option anymore. Fondly, Free [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $552 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Morning Lady, I know you asked for Pen's advice, hope you don't mind if I offer you some help. This is how I deal with my triggers. Maybe you can do this too. Maybe it will help you. Here is how I handle it in my mind: A trigger is the beginning of the process. I look at the trigger for what it is: an experience/feeling of a past memory that correlates to smoking and if we can recognize it, we can take action right away to put in it it's place. If we do not recognize it and put it in it's place, it can over take us by turning into a crave. We have the power to make that choice, to stop it before it gets to that point. If we are run down or we have not been taking care of ourselves, not rewarding ourselves, it can be harder to put the trigger in it's place. Be very good to yourself, recognize your triggers and do something about them before they turn into craves. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,245 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

uh ... that was suppose to be FILL the tank up ... not FEEL the tank up ... ROFL! It's early ... haven't had my second cup yet ... [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/yahoo_coffee.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/smiley_abzw.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,243 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Be bold Penitent ... I love your advice. You da' man! Slip is not an option. Consider it done! Thank you so much for your vote of confidence, praise helps feel the tank up! Now if that would just work on my car. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,243 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

mark, No one can promise you anything. Your quit is yours. We can ask each other questions along the way. We can hold each other's hand. But everybody's mind is different. Memories are memories. Kinda like if someone close to you really hurt your feelings and you forgave them. You forgive, but you don't truly forget. A memory is a memory. How you REACT to that memory is up to YOU. No one can tell you how YOU are going to react. They can only tell you how they react. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,253 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$54,500.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: