Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Putting the breaks on relapse

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin, The decision to quit smoking in itself is such a huge step in the right direction. It is important when deciding to quit, that we quit for the right reasons and that we truly feel we are ready to quit smoking. Honesty with one self is key to a successful quit. Be true to yourself and your endeavor to quit smoking and you will successfully succeed. Remember the SSC Support Team is always here to help you with your quit. Please keep us posted. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So glad to see you again! Hang in there, things will get easier...at least that is what keeps me holding on! Hugs
18 years ago 0 181 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
penquin.i dont know what to say!this is a hard road we travle and these square wheels dont help on our quit wagon! are you ready to try again? want it more than anything? are you using anything?if not maybe you should ,and if so take more of them! we are here for you {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} jan xxxxx aka bogbott. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 154 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Penquin, I was so bummed when I heard you slipped again, it even bought a tear to my eye! You were one of my role models... slipped after 107 days and back here to refocus and to do it again. You also was one of the two people that were on the IM that dreadful day when I was a flick of a lighter away from smoking again! I hope and pray that you suceed this time!! You've given me and the rest hope and strength, please allow us to give it back to you! Take care Penquin, Ron [color=Red]N.O.P.E.[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,133 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin- Frankly I can't imagine doing this and living with a smoker. I know, I know..."that shouldn't affect your resolve" should be the thumbs up approach. But the reality of quitting this is not going to be lessened by someone quoting some phrase or whatever. So I won't. I hope you can engage your spouse in this somehow. I know you know that shouldn't be the crux of the quit, but it would be nice. I know what you mean....day 53 and I am just weary of the fight. Some people seem to be able to walk away from smoking with some nasty craves here and there, but not me. My "luxurious" days are when the craves aren't constant. While this is not pretty, I have faith in what people say about 6 months to 1yr for the "freedom" feeling to happen. I really don't think I can do this again. So they had better be right. So I hope you do it and just get right back in there. Try for 6 months.
18 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin: as you can tell by my stats that I to had a problem after 80+ days of quit. I will add one more thing to your list. Get rid of any giult that you are feeling over this latest " slip". I had a serious problem with the guilt after my decision to smoke again and it was eating me up. Redrosie, Lady, Butterfly Swimmer and others told me to let it go. I now feel much better about my self and my new quit. I hope that this helps. I am not sure how much help I can be to you but, know that I feel your hurt and I will be there if you need me. Here we go again!!! Kaiser [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 95 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin, I am so very glad to see you back. Just as it is a choice to smoke or not, it is also a choice to learn something from your slips or not. Your post shows that you have put the thought and determination in to this that will lead you to a successful quit. I wish you all the best as you continue this quit journey, just remember, come to us first if the urge to smoke hits again. Keep the quit.... Sheila ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,111 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $350 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 103 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
penguin and all.......as with most things in this world, I believe that perception and attitude are key elements for success or failure. I smoked for 36 years, a good many of those a closet smoker which creates even greater stresses, which is another story..........and for at least the last 20 years, hated it. For one reason or another, it was never the right time to quit.............U all know the drill...........after this, after that, as soon as I this or as soon as I that.....blah, blah, blah. But, when I finally Felt, Knew, Wanted To and Found reasons and the strength to do it.........I have surprisingly had a very easy time of things. But and this is a a big BUTT...........that inner junkie is still hangin' around and needs some serious Butt Kickin' at times............so TODAY, I am fine but, I will never be so arrogant to think that a slip or relapse can not happen to me, I was, am and always will be an addict......plan and simple. Once U accept this part.............U can deal with it and like cybrduke said...........don't be so harsh with yourself.............pick yourself up , kick Butt and move on. Good Luck and Cheers, Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $404 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin... How many hours now? Haven't heard from you. Let us know how you are doing. Remember to reach out for help. We are here for you regardless of where you are in your quit. Believe in yourself Penquin. We believe in you. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 288 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1008 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penquin. First of all I want to apologize to you. I was kind of wrapped up in my own chaios over the weekend and for the first part of this week and I didn't realize that you had slipped. I want to apologize for not being there for you. Second... I will you once again what I told you over 100 days ago... When your desire not to smoke outweights your desire to smoke, you will quit. You know that smoking doesn't solve a thing. It doesn't cure depression, it doesn't resolve anger, it doesn't make financial problems go away, it does not heal broken relationships, it doesn't cure the common cold, or relieve stress. You know all these things. You also know that life happens whether we smoke or not and that we had bad days when we were still smoking. I want to tell you something else that you already know, Smoking will kill you my friend. Get rid of the junkie. This is a horrible addiction. You have to make the choice each and every single morning when you get up that "today, I will not smoke". That is a choice that you will have to make every single day for the rest of your life because you, like the rest of us, are an addict. I didn't realize until I quit what a slave I was to the addiction and how much it controlled my life. That is something that I vow not to give into again. Somedays that is easy and others it is really hard. I have battled depression, I have battled anger, fought with an 18 year old who thinks she is grown, argued with a father that thinks I am 16 and that stupidity is funny, worked full time, gone to school full time and been so tired that I had a migraine headache for about 2 full weeks. I have dealt with all of these things during my quit. I have had to dig deep into the pits of my soul and pull out every bit of strength I could get my hands on, prayed for more strength, cried an ocean of tears, and yelled and screamed for help from my quit buddies..... but, I do not smoke. When nothing works, you still do not smoke. When you have to, you do this for five minutes at a time. You keep putting one foot in front of the other and you keep taking it one day at a time. Do not give in to the junkie regardless of what happens in your life. The junkie cannot help you. The junkie will kill you. I say these thin

Reading this thread: