Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,678 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

hello having alot of trouble

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New Jim,

Welcome to our support community and thanks fro sharing with us.  As you can see the support and experience is outstanding and can really make a difference.  The members do know what you are going through and can help guide you and support you.

Take the time to read through the program and get yourself started.  The knowledge is amazing to help guide and help you understand this.  Post with us often!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello new guy here posting as New Jim. In some bizzare way it is a comfort to know you guys are out there and going through the same thing. Old Jim would have poo-poo'd this as a lot of self indulgant rubbish, but as New Jim and currently having the conventional medical community let me down, I am open to new ideas and reading these posts, positive and negative does give some measure of strength to fight off the attacks. I had two this AM but after coming on this site nothing so far.
So thanks one and all

New Jim 
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was resistant towards taking anxiety meds. I still am to a certain extent lol. But I must admit that at my worse they were a godsend. They helped me calm down enough so I could do my exposure and thought challenging. It made a world of difference. Now I only have them PRN and take them seldomly but I do feel better knowing it is an option. It is an avenue worth exploring.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nikki,

Have you discussed medications options with your family doctor or pharmacist? I highly suggest you do so if you feel that it might be of aid.
Good luck, and keep us posted on how you are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nikki,

Right now since your having multiple attacks, your body is super sensitive to any symptom, so you are aware of every little sensation you feel, and then the thought of it is scaring you and thus creates more panic. As far as palpitations, when you feel one, bear down hard as if you were birthing a baby, they will stop. Try with all your might to rationalize its the adrenaline rush from the start of feeling nervous that creates this domino effect. First your anxious, then your breathing becomes constricted only to the chest and not the correct diaphragmatic breathing we have when we are calm. This breathing only in the chest area, will cause you to feel dizzy (it's a hyperventilation type thing happening), so your body naturally reacts to that by trying to pump more blood and oxygen, so your heart rate is faster and more pronounced, compound all this with scary thoughts, and it becomes automatic within seconds which is a panic attack. Remember its the flight or fight response that you are going through, although normal if we were to say walk in our house and see a huge lion there, we are experiencing it with out any real perceived danger. The one palpitation, or even for others of us, like a little dizziness is enough to set it in action.  

15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
it's just so darn frustrating ever since all these have happened again i have no life all i do all day is to feel crappy(shaky dizzy heart racing palpatating) it's just sad cause i can't seem to focus on anything now just trying to focus on not having one...when i stopped having them the only reason is because i read on here that i can't die just pass out and they stopped cause i knew that from what people said... but the palpatations scare the crap out of me and make me feel something is really wrong...and their isn't it's like now my panic is anytime i can feel my heart beat hard.....i had an ekg but when i got to  the hospital it kindof stopped because it's like i knew that even if i flipped out help was already right there and i felt soooooooo much better...i wish there was some over the counter stuff for this evil battle  but so far can't find anything...
15 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HiNikki!

I feel your despair.  I have been battling and dealing with my panic disorder for the past 7 years.  I had it under control and about two weeks I have had endless panic feeling, and lots of panic attacks.  Its hard for people to truly understand if they have never experienced a panic attack before.  Everything you are feeling is all normal during a panic attack and you will not die even though it might feel that way.  Understand that you have went through a traumatic experience and that you are not alone.   We are all here to support you and know that it does get better.  I tell myself this everyday.

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Nikki,

I just wanted to let you know I have been where you are right now. I remember when every little sensation was a cause for alarm and made me have attacks. I remember the endless worrying to see if a PA (panic attack) would come. I remember having PA after PA. But it does get better. The program here has helped me a ton. I had a relapse in 2006 and I worked the program and it changed my life. I still find the support here to be very helpful. And when I have more stress I review sessions I find helpful. Eventually, the PA do get more spaced apart. Plus, you learn to deal with them when they come so much better. They stop being so horrible and they stop running your life. I assure you it can get better and it can be done. If I can do it anyone can!

As for people not understanding, I think it happens often. It takes a long time for people to get it and even then I think they get only part of it. I think it is worth educating people though and communicating. Most of the people in my life have come around. I helped them by giving them info and they understand much better now. So don'T give up. But please do come post to us here in the meantime. The support of people who understand in invaluable!

This too shall pass!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nikki,   Sorry to hear the prescription has not been working for you. Many here have struggled with starting or stopping medications. In general, most medications of this nature take time to build a therapeutic level in your system. As it does, the effect it produces becomes more pronounced and stable.    In terms of talking to your husband, is it possible for him to join you next time you visit a doctor? How has the search been going for a community medical centre in your area that could offer therapy? Perhaps if you do choose to see a doctor or therapist, they may be able to help in explaining your experience to your husband.   Other than home remedies, what else have you tried in the past that has worked? What were you doing different during those 2 weeks without the attacks? Maybe by reflecting on those weeks you will be able to think of something you tried that was successful that you could try again.   Continue to work through the sessions and let us know how you are doing.     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
actually everything was going great for about 2 weeks and then i thought that i was past them...and now all of a sudden they are back again...i went to the er cause i still don't have any insurance and they gave me a perscription that actually mad it worse...i feel like if my heart rate goes up and i notice i start freaking out and give myself an attack...it's like i am soo scared of having a heartattack that i bring them on.....and they don't stop ....my husband is just not getting it...i have tried to explain to him what is going on when i have them and then he says well i used to get them...but i don't think that he has had them i have ...i have them all day long...and the ones that i can't keep under control i just lose it....i mean i sit there and yell at myself that they are just in my head and it can't kill me but then i get scared that my heart is pounding soo hard that i will have  a heart attack....i have tried all the home remedies but nothing seems to work exept for getting drunk... when i drink they arent there but i hate drinkin cause i dont want to be drunk all the time just to be able to get through the day...as soon as i wake up that is the first thing on my mind i am going to have an attack and it's in the back of my mind allllll day....grrrrrr....

Reading this thread: