Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Quote of the Day Part Two

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confidence doesn't come out of nowhere. It's a result of something... hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication.
- Roger Staubach

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know the feeling. Yesterday I banged my hand on the sharp edge of my lathe. I bled all over it but fortunately not on what I was making. I'll agree that satisfaction is proportional to the effort. Some times the effort can take a lot of time and be very tiring. Sometimes no matter how hard you try things still go wrong.
Like the bench I built to sit on at my lathe. It has so many mistakes, some only I will ever know. Still it functions so I didn't cut it up and burn it. My problem is not being able to just do something simple. The harder it is the more chance for mistakes. I live with it.
No coffee for me today, I'm making things I want to give away. No room for mistakes.

Davit.
Theres some saying about satisfaction being proportional to effort.  After bruising my knuckles, trying to pry outdoor window screens into place in cold weather, I finally managed to complete the task.  I'm not sure if they're in correctly, but apparently they're not as good as the windows themselves. 

As for the windows, they are top grade

I just feel whipped.  Time for a decaf, even though my avatar shows an espresso maker.  Espress is for special occasions
Hugs

There is a legend that goes like this. Saint Eligius, the patron Saint of farriers hung a horse shoe on a peg above his door as advertisement. The legend says that the Devil had sore feet and thought to have them shod. It was not a success as Eligius was said to have done a poor job. The devil said he would never enter a building with a horse shoe hanging on a peg over the door ever again.

As for which way is right, first it is hard to hang a shoe on a peg the other way. Second your good fortune is supposed to spill onto all those who pass through your door. 

The choice is yours, I figure that if you share your good fortune it will come back to you. Most people disagree with me they prefer not to lose any luck. Maybe that is why I'm lucky but poor.

Just a legend probably made up by someone. It has no religious basis.

Davit.

Ps. Confidence is knowing you are right even when you are not.
Confidence is courage at ease.
- Daniel Maher

I thought confidence was self-knowledge, as well
I'll flip the shoe.  As for a bridal bouquet, that's fascinating trivia.  I'll have to ask how the first came to the home, and I'll have something to ask married couples about at their marriage.
I felt sad as I awoke, and suddenly, my mood changed.  I was going over the toxic relations at work, and then felt lifted by two members below as I began my day, as I usually do, if I'm not going somewhere early.  I will say I was beginning to realize one person at work, who would have been supportive, but had not yet joined the department.

Then I felt sad, as I review the post I'm going to send, realizing that my life is mundane, without friends, except those here on this website, among a bunch of chores from my "to do" list.

Accept failure as a normal part of living. View it as part of the process of exploring your world; make a note of its lessons and move on.
- Tom Hobson

11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh heck, gotta answer this one.  I was taught by Britons that the horseshoe is hung up above the door the other way round so that the luck stays in.  They also put a small silver one in a bride's bouquet same way, to hold the luck in.
Oh, and a horseshoe should be given to you for your house.  You don't just go out and buy one, it should be an older one and given by a friend.

Sunny
Cassius Clay had so much faith in himself that he changed his name?

I'm glad your horse shoe is the right way up although Sunny says it is upside down. Kind of hard to hang a shoe on a peg the other way.

Davit
Davit,
We have to start somewhere,

It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believe in myself.
- Mohammad Ali

Maybe this means "lack of faith in oneself & community"?  No-one is an island.
So many people would think the quote has something to do with trees instead of time.

Davit.

Reading this thread: