Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Exposure Session

13 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ammu,

I am also gettting started on working on the exposure plan. Let me know how yours goes, and I will do the same.

SIM
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ammu,

Welcome to the program and support group.  I was reading your post about your anxiety in groups and your desire to start doing exposure work.  I can only tell you what things I have done as exposure that have helped me.  I hope they get you started on some ideas of your own.  Here they are:  I took a class,  I went to a play,  I have been trying to go swimming at the YMCA lately.  I have been twice and am trying to make it a regular thing.  I am planning to take another class in Sept. of some sort  like Sewing, Creative writing, Crafts  etc. etc.  The idea is to get into some sort of group activity.  I hope this information helps you in some way.  If being in a group of people is really hard to deal with, going to Barnes & Noble book store has always been a good one for me.  They have places to sit in their stores and read.  Just another idea to get started slowly.  Good luck with your exposure.

Red
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went thru the shyness and sensitivity section, I suppose I am have a certain level of social anxiety when I am around people. I was basically shy, but post certain bullying incidents, I have more social anxiety.  - Ammu
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting question Ammu! 

I think first of all we need to pin point what exactly you are afraid of.  I hear that you are afraid of rejection and afraid of being in groups. These two fears can be related but can not be related at the same time so it can be hard to know what to focus on.  Try to think of situations that cause you anxiety.  If it is just in groups we can create an exposure plan around that but it if it is more then that we will have to tackle the problem in another angle.

Members, any suggestions?

Also, check out the auxiliary sessions on relationships and shyness.  These sessions can assist you in overcoming this fear.

Let us know what you discover!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
I am starting on the Exposure plan. Over the past 3 years, I learned to fear rejection by people and it affects in maintaining relationships. I fear sitting in a group as I feel people may be watching. I know it is an irrational thought, but it just comes and I find it very hard to stop or overcome it. What plan would anybody out there suggest to overcome this unnecessary fears?
Regards,
Ammu
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Shadowkins!

Sunny, yes, write more! or as much as you like. 
14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
D:  thanks for your reassurance.  Silver sounds good! lol
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh sunny I am sure I hold the blabbermouth award, You will have to settle for silver, the gold goes to me. I love your comments, I wish you had more time to put in more of them. Do you know you can get tennis elbow from one finger typing. At least I can.

Davit
14 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so glad for you Anerol,congrats.
14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol, you are most welcome.  I 'm so happy to be of help.  As I posted - forget which post - I mentioned I thought I'd leave this site because anxiety level is not bad, but Davit thought that those who were successful in conquering and managing their anxiety and panic could be of service to others with what works for them. Sometimes I think I write too much.  oh well.

Reading this thread: