Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Itchy, no scratchy

16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HOORAY!!! Glad to hear the "itch" is finally gone! Well done! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 710 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,932.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After telling myself to get out of the pity pot, and some thinking alterations, such as "stop discussing this".....the itch...is gone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $322.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$330,386.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 14

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I missed this Saturday Pen, the one good thing about days like that, is that they end! Sometimes a day can make such a big difference! Hang in there! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $886.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love it Mister Ed! Here girly girl.......go get it....feeeetttttcccchhhhh! hahahahahaha!(((as I am wipping my hands off))) LOL! LOVE IT!!! I can see me NOW!
16 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great determination & hanging in, peguin & it's fantastic about your dad, I hope he makes it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Danielle for the support and suggestions. I would like to know more about the phases of quitting. There must be more to it than just beginning and maintenance. The itch has continued through the weekend, almost unbearable at times, but I have persevered. Funny, I didn't feel like this at all during the first 3 weeks, so I am a little unaccustomed to it, but I keep telling myself it shall pass. On a motivating note (for me anyway), I went to visit my parents yesterday. Both are 77 and have smoked for 60 or more years. My Dad was recently diagnosed with emphysema, and of course, advised to quit smoking and he tried. He went about a week, I think, but started to take drags from the butts my Mom leaves behind. When they came to visit 2 weeks ago, I gave him my book, the EasyWay. Well, I couldn't believe the transformation in his attitude about quitting. He was excited, he was animated in discussing it, and I felt he had a real passion - a desire to be free. I was proud and him and of me for having given him a little lift. I hope that he can continue. I sure would like to have a quit buddy in my father. That would be awesome. My Mom, on the other hand is scared beyond belief, and we talked about that and she would have to do it in her own time. Nothing I can do or say to help someone who doesn't, yet, want to quit. Also, I am 1 MONTH SMOKE FREE. WWHOOHOO!!! Still looking ahead to the prize. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $322.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$330,386.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin, Sounds like you are starting the quit maintenance phase of your quit. A big part of quit maintenance is recognizing when you are at risk for a slip. Here are a few tips that may help. Common high-risk situations for many include: * Being emotionally upset * Social settings in which temptation is likely * Unexpectedly encountering the to be avoided object It is equally important to have a plan prepared ahead of time to cope with these situations before we encounter them. Although the easiest way to cope is to avoid these high-risk situations, for some scenarios, it is not possible. For these situations, try writting down the specifics of what happens to you. Ex: When I am stressed, I just want to unwind so I sit in my living room with a cigarette. Next try finding alternatives to what you habitually do when in this high-risk situation. Ex: When I am stressed, I will take a long warm bath instead. Ex: When I am stressed, I will take a walk. Ex: When I am stressed, I will have a cup of tea and write in my journal. Hope this helps. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Penguin, A bit of advice. Take your Under Dog for Walkies and take a stick with you. Go to the edge your nearest local cliff, throw the stick over the edge and shout 'Fetch!' :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 468 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3,510.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 75 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
Thanks for all your responses. Well, Bear, I understood the Top Dog/Under dog anology and yes I totally agree that is the case. This is not my first attempt at quitting, as you know, and I am very aware of the tricks that can be played. Because I know better than to fall for the tricks, the Top Dog is not being devious, but blatant, as in...you are - tired go back to smoking. But that is the essence here, right...all or nothing. JDK - thanks for your suggestions. Right after I wrote the post, I went out and funny, the itch stopped. A change of atmosphere was good. Kiwi - Tttthhhaaannnks for the scratch. Nothing like someone else giving you a scratch. Martha - What you suggested is exactly what I did...not just window shopping, but retail therapy. While I was out, I did think about some other things that I needed to consider doing, to get out of the rut. Ladycigevictor - I have never gone into such detail at addressing the triggers (I have had very few craves). I have done something like that, such as what you describe. One of the usual triggers is just like you describe, after finishing a task, or even preparing to do one. I do take the time out for a thinking break before, or a reward break after. I think it's important that we continue to take the breaks as before, rather than just plunging ahead. I do agree that it is necessary to address the triggers head on and acknowledge exactly what is happening. Posting did help as well as reading your responses. It is interesting though, that part of it, I think is that when you get to around this stage, you start to let go of the constantness of the thoughts that come at the beginning of a quit. But you are not quite sure you can let go...so it is almost like the itch is of your own making to keep you on your guard just a little bit longer. Don't know if that makes sense. But, I think I am turning a corner to that next phase. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $299.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
  • Quit Meter

$330,386.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin, All quitters probably know exactly what you're going through. I've had the same battle in some of my previous quits and could not resist the urge to scratch, which of course led me right back to smoking. This quit is different for me. It might help you to hear this, if I can explain it correctly. I learned this concept from the "smokers prayer" that I've bumped so many times. I've simply stopped fighting the "itch". It's easy to say this, but can be hard to do until you've practiced it for a while. Here's step by step how I do it. I'm sure other people will jump in with better explainations. ~~~When I get that itchy feeling or thought, I now openly accept it by saying something like "Yes I feel strange and I'm thinking a cigarette would be good right now". ~~~Then I look at what's going on and try to understand what triggered it. Did an emotion cause this? Did I eat something, or do something that brought this feeling on or thought into my head? For instance, I'm just getting caught up from being behind schedule at work and suddenly I get an empty feeling or think about having a smoke as soon as I'm done. ~~~I then embrace it. I say something like, "Yes, I would have smoked now in my old life. It would have been a reward for working hard and getting caught up." I stop and really acknowledge the itch. "Thank goodness I don't have to waste the time having a cigarette when I'm done. Now that I don't smoke, I can just concentrate on getting something else done and then I'll be ahead of schedule and able to take a nice break". ~~~Once I've released the itch, I simply step around it, stop consciously thinking about it and move on. I say or think "Ok, I know what brought this on, so now that I don't smoke to reward myself for completing tasks, I can really get a lot done and go for lunch without worrying about getting caught up". Sometimes the trigger that caused the feeling or thought needs me to do this several times, but eventualy it loses it's power over me and the itch is gone for good. Hope this helps...you're doing an awesome job Penguin...keep up the great quit. :) Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,652.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$121,075.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 10

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: