Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

31 hours without Nicotine

9 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It will be pretty tough.. Few days will be horrible but things will get to ease out soon.. Be strong and full of determination and quit smoking..
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Alan,

It seems as though you have a good idea of what is needed to quit!  Well done!  Never mind age, it's addiction we all were/are dealing with.  The only aspect about age, which is important, is that the younger you are when you quit, the longer your body has to heal itself!!!

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!!

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yay for you getting through those first 3 miserable days, Howdy1989. As your previous month-long quit may have taught you, the powerful physical craves should be over by now. It's a mental game from here on out.

As for your age, all I can say is that I was just as addicted at 24 as I was at 34 and still at 44. I'm glad to say that I'm not physically addicted now, and don't plan to be at 54. At the age of 24, I lacked some things that you have: 1) a strong commitment to quit 2) an online support group to help me with my quit 3) access to information online about the quitting process. 

Please be sure to use your resources to help you along, so that you can look back at the age of 34 and say, "Hey, I've been quit for 10 years now!" 

If you need anything--pep talk, information, a place to boast about your quit stats--please let us know.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,531.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 6

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Alan!

Trust you intuition when it comes to drinking. Early on in a quit we recommend that you keep alcohol to a minimum. Once you are more confident in your quit you may be able to experiment with high trigger situations like drinking. For now though play it safe.

Congrats on getting half way through Hell Week!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am still going strong!  Had a beer last night and I seemed to be ok but I am weary to the possibility of drinking more than one.  This site has really helped me and, as of 5:00 pm, it has been 4 whle days of quitting!!
9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Howdy,

Welcome to our fabulous and interactive site!

How did you feel after being a month quit?
What were the positives?

As you can read..the members are involved, supportive and they share their experiences!

Take advantage of it all!

Sleep when you tired
Sleep when your grumpy
Sleep to help you relax!

Let us know how we can help!

Josie, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Alan,

I hope you're still going strong.  I find the sleeping hours are the easiest (lol) and then I'm getting used to getting up and remembering I don't smoke.  It's a good feeling.

I am going on weekend #2 without a beer.  I had a glass of red last week and it was ok.  I know how much of a trigger beer can be for me so I've been putting it off, I can relate.  I might be ready tonight after going in to work for a bit today.

Keep fighting the nicotine demon!  
Yes, I have "quit" a few times, none less than a month.  I have finally realized that it is very difficult for me to quit while still regularly drinking alcohol.  It has been 50 hours now without any nicotine.  Woo-hoo!
9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alan,
 Welcome to the SSC. Age does not matter when it comes to an addiction. You can be 24 or 94, it's all the same. I'm not sure how long it takes to become addicted to nicotine, but when it comes to quitting it's just as hard no matter the age. Congratulations on deciding to quit.  I see that you have started your quit program here. It's good to have a plan. Was your decision to quit planed or a spur of the moment? There is a lot of good information and tips in the forums here. Use the search function to help find answers in the issues you are having. You are probably going to be riding an emotional roller coaster for awhile, until you get used to not having nicotine in your system. As you know, nicotine is a VERY powerful insecticide, I mean drug.  Have you tried quitting before? If not, you might be surprised to the changes that might be in store for you. Feeling light headed, dizzy, sleeplessness, constipation, hunger, the list goes on. The good thing is they are temporary and will go away in time. 
 Be sure and drink lots of fluids to help flush out the poisons from your body, and try to stay from the alcohol for awhile. It will lower your defenses from that nasty Nicodemon. I wish you the best on your journey to freedom. Hang in there and be strong! 
  • Quit Meter

$23,195.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 20

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you everyone for the support.  I am feeling a little bit better, just a bit down I guess.  The gloomy weather is reflective of the way I am feeling, that is for sure!  I want to relax with a couple drinks but I do not trust myself to not smoke after I get a decent buzz going on.  I guess it is like quitting a couple things then!  Good luck with everyone.  We can definitely do this!!

Reading this thread: