Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

tough time ahead next week

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WPB3, Stay close to the site and keep us all posted on your success. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks, WPB3, and glad to hear you survived! I definitely am taking my laptop on my trip...... I am very fortunate for this first 3 day trip, (starting tomorrow) none of my coworkers attending are smokers. And we probably will be locked in a little room together (team meeting) so if I were a smoker, I would be going thru agonizing withdrawl symptoms anyway, trying to NOT go out! The next trip (this Thursday coming)is a short one - day long - no hotel room to be bored in, but then comes the [b]BIG ONE[/b]. I could be out for a two week stint in February.......to the Caribbean, of all places (sucks to be me, really it does......) That one isn't confirmed as of yet, but it will be the BIG TEST as I am on my own (no coworkers) I'll let you know, but I am 100% confident the tripS this week will be successful. I am alone in my rental car, but being alone in a car isn't a huge trigger for me any longer, and as I said, I don't want to reek of smoke with my other nonsmoking cohorts! Plus, one of my rewards for a 30 day quit was a new outfit. I want to keep this as the first one I have purchased as a non-smoker! thanks! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 516 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $229.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand what you are facing, Wes..... I travelled a lot in the first few years of my new job, then it died down some. Now, I have found out I will be travelling again at the end of this month, and for most of February. Even though when I did smoke I actually cut down when travelling - I HATED being around others when I reeked of cigs, or having a massive nic fit in the midst of a meeting and excusing myself to go outside, or staring at the clock, watching the minutes tick by until I was back in my "smoking" hotel room! In some perverse way, at the beginning of my quit, I was looking forward to these trips, because some part of my mind told me I could "slip" during the trip. My husband wouldn't know, my co-workers don't know I've quit so nothing new there........ Now almost a month into my quit, I DON'T want to think about my trips like that, but MAN IT'S HARD not to.....I'm just thankful that they make it impossible to smoke in most airports, and that I am generally working all day with no access to a convenience store or gas station........ Get the laptop and please KEEP POSTING to let us know how you are doing. I'll try to do the same on my trips. GOOD LUCK :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 399 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been fortunate enough to have three long quit periods in my life - 3 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 yrs. I will have three weeks on this quit as of tomorrow. Every time I have slipped has been when I've traveled out of town for business and I don't know if it's the freedom, the disorientation, the poor sleeping, or what, but it is a weak point for me. This coming Sunday I will be traveling for a week for work to Houston. Have any of you others experienced similar problems when traveling or when away from family? Any others start back after long quits? Do you have any advice or see any commonality with my experiences and yours? I am going to buy a personal laptop to take with me and figure I can buy a new video game to play that may help (I can get pretty focused on those) but I think of that as a band-aid and there is something underlying my tendency to slip when I'm away from home that needs to be fixed but I can't put my finger on what it is. It's probably too late but I thought about getting some sleeping pills to help me get good sleep in the hotel as well. Any thoughts? Wes [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/24/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 291 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
thanks for your thoughts, Cheryl. And you're right - it does seem more like a choice to start smoking again than a slip. that is a more accurate way of putting it. I have made the choice to smoke each of those times and, despite personally acquired evidence to the contrary, I've thought I could smoke a few and then let them alone. The thing is, even though in each of my returns to smoking it took literally six months before I smoked the next time after after breaking the quit, the time after that would be just a matter of a few months and then it's all over from there. And I can never seem to quit again until I get totally immersed in smoking again and come to truly remember how bad it is and how much I ultimately hate it. I will see what I can come up with as far as a plan goes for when I'm there. I checked on the excersize equipment when arranging the hotel so that will be ok (provided I use it). I was also thinking about taking along some sominex to help me get well-rested as every time I sleep in a hotel for more than a night I end up sort of sleep deprived which is probably not a good thing from a quit standpoint. Sometimes I think it comes back to just my addictive nature and just wanting a buzz (like cigarettes obviously give when you haven't smoked in while). I can't drink because I like that too much. Maybe a better question is what do others use to get a buzz from life - or - do others just realize that wanting to get a buzz is just symptomatic of some other, deeper issue?
thanks for your thoughts, everyone. The first few days were tough, especially when I first got in my rental car in Houston and drove past the first gas station. As time went by it got easier, though, and by the end of the week I wasn't thinking about it anymore. The hotel treadmill got about 4 miles use each night and I ate more than I should have but, hey, I didn't smoke. I also combatted the boredom at night with the laptop and a new game so that worked out well. It's really strange but I didn't remember to get onto this site and post while I was there. It was like there was a missing bit of logic in my head that didn't make that connection. And, Groovekitty, your description of the way you were thinking about smoking and travel is right on line with mine (when I'm not thinking right!). If I could turn it around a bit on this thread and perhaps help you with those thoughts, one thing I am doing this time around is to keep telling myself that I don't need to travel to smoke. In other words, it would be easy enough for me to smoke today and have no one know about it. I am hoping that this sort of thinking will keep me from thinking of these travel times as something "special" where quitting is concerned. Thanks, Everyone, Wes [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/24/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $87 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 211 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would tell you that you need to stay close to this site and post in the general forum as well as coping with cravings site whenever you feel weak. A lot of times these other threads don't get read as often. Don't know why. They just don't. Please try and keep your quit. You are worth this. vicki just 1 puff away from 2 packs a day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,582 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $623 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
18 years ago 0 534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What an interesting thing that you slip when your away. Could there be something in your mental game that thinks if your not home it doesn't count? Or is there some extra stress involved with the trip away from you familiar routine? By all means take a laptop, But prepare yourself in other ways also, will the place you are staying have a gym or exercise room. Would you be safe enough to go for a run somewhere? Do you have to much or to little time on your hands? Plan some activities that you can do that don't involve meetings, or eating or watching TV or reading/video games. You need to keep your body busy and your mind focused on what is important. Loosing a quit after that length of time, I don't think that it is really loosing it. I think that it is more like choosing to become a smoker again. You need to contract with yourself that your will do certain things if you feel like giving it up again, among which could be comming to this site and telling people what you are planning. You keep safe and smokefree during this trip. We are all rooting for you. Cheryl [font=georgia][size=4][color=teal] No Joking, I'm Still Not SMoking! [/font][/size][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/4/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 193 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,651 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $550.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WPB3, I don't have a lot to add here that hasn't already been presented, but I just wanted to say that staying quit is the ultimate personal commitment to oneself. When I was in the Army I was often going to other posts for training and I often observed a few of the guys taking off their wedding bands when they were away from home. Staying quit is the same as staying true to your marriage vows.. it's a matter of commitment. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 244 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $597.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$36,336.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9769 Hours: 8

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree that it is good to have a plan for when you know it's going to be tough. But I have to be honest. Maybe it's because I've had a difficult weekend myself. What I see in your post is a lot of JUNKIE THINKING. You've got all your excuses line up in a row, just waiting for that perfect oppportunity. INTENTIONS are important. Go with the belief and the intention that you will make it through this difficult time. Learn from you past mistakes. Smoking is not an option this time around. It's a choice!
  • Quit Meter

$330,437.78

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6027 Hours: 12

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: