Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Never Quit Quitting

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Detox!!!

Go, fight, win!!!   You are a non-smoker now, so just DON'T smoke!!!  Get it???  NOPE!!!

Now it's all about your coping mechanisms...  deep breathing, avoiding those triggers, ice water...  what ever works!!

Yell when you need us!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 505
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,625
Amount Saved: $2,083.13
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 14 Mins: 19 Seconds: 16

• Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Detox,

Glad to hear day one is going well for you!

You have the right mindframe with taking this quit one day at a time. As other members suggest on the boards, never let your guard down! Even when you begin to feel confident in your quit, know that those cravings can hit you at any time and it is usually when you least expect it!

Keep us posted and good luck Detox, you can do this!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just noticing your picture icon, Detox. You look like you're just a cool dude, relaxing with a smoke. Is that how you see yourself? Or am I just reading too much into a picture?
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 82
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,214
Amount Saved: $830.25
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 0 Mins: 54 Seconds: 57

14 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone :)....Day one and going strong...one day at a time...went and bought the Nicorette inhaler...I think I prefer the gum but I'm going to keep using the inhaler until they're all used up.
  This is where I keep screwing up...on a scale of 1-10 in how difficult it's been the first days of my quitting ventures...I'd have to say they're running around a 3 or 4. So....some 5 or 6 days later...being smoke free...I'll be thinking to myself that quitting is'nt so bad or terribly difficult...I've had a few strong cravings but no big deal... then I'll bum a smoke off of someone at work...then "Bingo"!!!    right back at it. I am my own worst enemy. The cigarettes are tasting aweful....my chest hurts and I have aquired that nasty cough...total insanity. I feel toxic and nauseous...just....YUCK !!!
   I do want to thank each and everyone one of you for your support...I am totally sincere in saying that. I am an addict and I really hate that part about me...so .....no cigarettes today....God willing...and tomorrow the battle continues.
  I'm safer at home than at work that's for sure...and I'm at home now...okay folks....time to figure this inhaler out abit more. I'll be back often !!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/22/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 3 Mins: 14 Seconds: 40

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Detox,

Welcome back! 
The members have offered some really wonderful advice and support, and are all rooting for you! You can do this!
We're always here to help and support you, every single step of the way.
Stay strong, and remember that you torture yourself like this because you are motivated and determined to remain smoke free!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Detox!!!

I'm glad you're back and ready for the fight, buddy!!!   We're all here for you so just remember one thing...  post and wait for 5 replies and by that time your crave will be gone!!!  Keep that ice water handy and remember to breath deep!!!  Come here often and read and post!!!  That distraction is what helped me the most!!

You can do this!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 504
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,600
Amount Saved: $2,079.00
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 10 Mins: 17 Seconds: 56

• Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can relate Big Time.
I started smoking at 14, and my parents were like " your health not ours" they said " you know what it does, now its up to you" and clearly being the "rebelious teen ager" i kept with smoking.

This is what i did, i went to wal mart and bought thrive gum 2 mg, i chewed 3 pieces the first day and smoked 3 cigerrettes. Before thrive i smoked up to 12 a day. It was torture, i was moody and i just snapped at everybody for a good 3 days. But then my mind was like " hey, if you can just reduce like that no problem then why dont you just smoke more until your forsure ready to quit" and i went with my mind. That night i smoked half a pack. I was very disapointed. Truth be told, this sight is awesome, just think of when you smoke the most. and try to avoid those situations.
for me, i smoke a lot when im at home, or when i drive.
so ive stopped spending so much time at home, and i chew gum when i drive.

when you're ready to quit, just take the plunge. Maybe book off sometime at work and go on a vacation. For me, when i work i smoke a lot too so the day i decided to use the gum i used it on my day off. Worked like a charm. Theres a lot of pressure to quit smoking by everyone these days, and frankly the only way you'll quit is when you're ready .

good luck, morgan.
14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh my god, can I ever relate to you, I was 53 days smober and then I smoked a whole pack of cigs in one night, then I quit again,,,,cold turkey, I have been smober now for 20 days,,,,before I was using the patch and gum, but when I committed to cold turkey, I did it. One thing that helps me immensely is that I chew on flavored toothpicks....juju stx....you can find them on quit smoking dot com. google juju stx.
anyway, it took some courage to admit that I had really slipped, I had been slipping with a puff here and puff there, one cig here and there, but when I bought a whole pack, I knew I had to admit it and start over, and I am so glad I have done that.....I think if I slip now, I will have to restart again,,,,,and  its actually  easier to not smoke,, then to contemplate quitting again.   Another thing I did was download a quit meter off the internet to put on my desktop, so every time I look at my computer I can see my progress, its one thing to check in here at this website but to have that meter on my desktop is very motivating,,,,,,another thing that is a major motivator for me...........DON'T SPEND ANYMORE MONEY ON CIGARETTES AND KEEP MAKING THE CIGARETTE COMPAINES RICHER AND RICHER............GET ANGERY.   We can do this I just know it. Jules

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 20
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 400
Amount Saved: $130.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 23 Mins: 0 Seconds: 8

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Detox...your right never quit quiting...Your not torturing yourself you just may not be ready,but since you want know when exactly that moment will be then you just keep quiting until you get it right...We all know how hard it is and are here to help you...Stay strong this may be that time that you get it right...Keep saying NOPE...

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -160
Amount Saved: $-32.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -47429

14 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why do I torture myself  like this ???
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/22/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0