Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Would like to hear from people who smoked for many years

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

You're welcome Patrick!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 325
Amount Saved: $195.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 14 Mins: 17 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry, K,, I just had to laugh at how daft we are - you and I - when we can be coughing our lungs up in one moment and, when our hands are steady enough after the body shocks and tremors, we reached desperately for that pack of smokes!  Unbelievable!!
 Thanks for the vivid reminder....

patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 126
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,150
Amount Saved: $1,417.50
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 11 Mins: 41 Seconds: 11

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I smoked for 38 years and in the last years was smoking 30 a day- I too cannot believe I have finally quit and wished I had done it many years ago- but hey I didnt -but I have now.
Like many other posters, my life revolved around cigarettes, where I could smoke, when I could smoke, turning down invites from non-smoking friends as feeding my habit would prove difficult in their company- it absolutely ruled, and ruined, my life.
I have smoked through Bronchitis and chronic chest infections, and even dragged myself from my sick bed to go buy cigarettes because I knew I couldn't ask anyone to go buy them for me- how pathetic and sad is that??
Besides all the other postives I have gained like money, health etc, I have also gained time and freedom.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 325
Amount Saved: $195.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 14 Mins: 6 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
50 years here mate   12 to 62.....

Nearly 2 years stopped now

Still miss it sometimes...
BUT see these stats........

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 649
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,278
Amount Saved: �3,472.15
Life Gained:
Days: 130 Hrs: 18 Mins: 47 Seconds: 41

15 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
puff no more

37 years on the weed here...I would encourage you with hand on heart to make the effort this year to put the cigarettes away for good.  Consider this THE PROJECT for this time in your life and a year from now you will look back with a sense of accomplishment that will stay with you for your remaining days on the planet.

Do not let your fears turn you away from getting this done.  All quits are different, just as all people are unique.  However, there are similar threads and themes that run through everyone's quit.  For that reason, a good support group is absolutely necessary.  Without the help I received here, I would not be smoke free today. 

A successful road to cessation is built on your personal strength, your mind set, your will and your willingness to be honest about the addiction.  The third is perhaps the most important factor.  Get right with the fact that we are addicts.  Smoking is not a habit, smoking is not a weakness, smoking is not something we do because we want to.  We smoke because we have trained our bodies and minds to accept the ingestion of poison as a way of life. 

Begin today to train your body, mind and soul to live your life without accepting the destructive nature of smoking as a prerequisite to living life.  Make a pledge and a promise to yourself that you are worth the effort that this kind of change requires.  The world is a tough place, there is no need to make it more difficult for yourself by accepting the consequences of addiction. 

Most of all understand that you are not giving up anything at all.  You are in effect giving yourself a great and wonderful gift.  That is not a thing to be feared, but a great joy to be accepted with hope, honesty and the knowledge that it is possible...

nonic    

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 509
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,270
Amount Saved: $5,344.50
Life Gained:
Days: 94 Hrs: 20 Mins: 42 Seconds: 24

• Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 18

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Puff, you can't totally avoid the cravings, but pretty soon they will turn into just thoughts. And you don't ever have to give in to either one. Commit to it and develop some coping strategies and you will continue to be a non smoker. It really is worth it.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 421
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 16,840
Amount Saved: $2,862.80
Life Gained:
Days: 59 Hrs: 9 Mins: 30 Seconds: 15

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great support and advice everyone!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for the encouragement. I truly will with all my strength avoid the craving for a cigarette as I don't want to let myself down.
15 years ago 0 447 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I smoked for 35 years.  I don't cough and hack in the morning and the evening anymore.  I really truly don't even have any leftover side affects from smoking.  I am seeing that I can run on the treadmill a little longer than before.  It's definitely different in a good way.
Terry

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 88
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 880
Amount Saved: $132.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 1 Mins: 49 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sassy
i know my little poems are stupid , but i'm having fun with this quitting thing !

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 64
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,920
Amount Saved: $576.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 13 Mins: 2 Seconds: 48

Reading this thread: