Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

New at This

17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mommy2, I am on the patch and used it the last time I quit. As Danielle says you can expect some milder cravings when you step down to the lower levels of nictotine. I just kind of noticed I was a lil grouchy for 2-3 days when I stepped down and after that smooth sailing again. The patch is a very helpful tool, and I tried cold turkey once, I will stick to the patch. If you had a reaction to Zyban, then you're probably better off. It gets better with each day! Keep the quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mommy2 I just saw your post...I used the patch and it helped alot BUT I still had some major cravings (sometimes associated with stepping down but more likely related to a trigger) Triggers could be really strange...I remember having a major craving when my friend called and playing cards still makes me a little edgy. Stress, alcohol...all sorts of things can trigger cravings....The good thing is that the cravings come fewer and further in between and gradually have less strength. The patch helps but it still takes alot of hard work, tools to quit...but the journey is certainly worth it. (By the way...I hardly noticed any difference at all when I finally finished the patch) All the best! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 193 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,878 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $965 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It really has been nice to know there are people like all of you who care. Ireally hope this patch does work.I did try Zyban about 2 years ago and had a horrible reaction,ended up in the hospital,so I am alittle afraid of trying any pills again.Thanks for the support it really helps to know there are people who will listen.
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't know about patches,so cannot help there. Recent studies indicate that cold turkey quitters are more successful. Just internet news, take what you need and leave the rest. Either way, get back on the quit wagon, keep going on your journey to kick nicotine OUT of your life. It's a choice, make sure you pick the right one...... LIFE. Best, CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 363 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,277 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1270.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mommy2, Some quitters experience a few days of adjustment as a result of stepping down off the patch. No, it will not be like hell week. You will no longer be withdrawing from all the toxins in cigarettes, just nicotine. You can expect a few more cravings and subsequent adjustments in your body like increased appetite, sleeping disturbances all of which are temporary and pass. Most quitters prepare for their stepdown by gathering up their coping strategies and distractions and do just fine. Please don't worry. We will be here to see you through if you have a hard time. Just focus on not smoking today. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mommy2, We are all different, what works for you may not work for me. I had tried to quit many times without success. But I did learn from those many quits. I knew I couldn't go cold turkey. I used the patch, and I'm not saying you should. But since you are already on the patch give it a chance. I used it just like it said to. After I went off the patch, I had some cravings for 3 or 4 days but nothing like I hear people talk about HELL WEEK. We are always going to be faced with stressful days, and situations that we have not experienced without smoking. Just 5 weeks ago I went through a situations I had not been through without smoking. It wasn't cravings, just thinking about cigarettes. That lasted for 3 or 4 days. I knew that I was not going to smoke but it was a constant nag, nag... Its the triggers you have to watch out for. The phone and car are my triggers. I still keep a straw and hard candy in the console of my car. That was where I always kept my cigs. Stay strong, determined, and committed. Believe in yourself, and know that you can do this. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 440 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,493 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1540 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 64 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$230,121.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 2

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
today is my 7th day of quit, using the chantix,, laid them down on the 7th day instead of the 8th, think about them now and than , but i take a deep breathe and relax few time,,,, today tho has been hardest, had to have polyps cut out this morning and dont know if that or what , but been wanting a cig all day,, heavy smoker for almost 30 years, son lives in ohio and i told him wed i was not smoking and going to quit for good,, i never knew he would be so proud but he has called both days since than just to tell me how proud he is,, that is worth it all,,,, plus i told God if the polyps in cervix and colon not cancer i try best to never smoke again, didnt try to make a deal with God, but just asking for help,,,,,, i hope the patches work great for you, as they said every one different and handle every situation different, but your mind is what will get you thru it,,,,, [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, and by the way....congrats on 32 days....You must be doing something right...patch or not. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,454 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$330,692.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6032 Hours: 4

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are as many opinions on NRT as there are people on this site. Everyone is different. Some can do it cold turkey, others feel that they will have more success using NRT. Do what ever is going to work best for you. Use the NRT as prescribed. I used the patch (have been off for a week), and I'm still alive, and not smoking. I have had some difficult times this week, but I had 9 weeks of quit to back me up. I still had to do it one day at a time. It has helped me and that is all that is important. There is no magic cure to this addiction. There is only one thing you need to know. NOPE Believe it and you will do it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,453 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$330,692.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6032 Hours: 4

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mommy2 I have never been able to quit using the patches. I finally tried Chantix (prescribed by doctor) and it is working great. No nicotine going into the system. I thought the way the patch worked was that the nicotine going into your system was slowly removed throughout the program. Making it easier to quit and then eventually you are done with the patches. I know some people get addicted to the patch and then have to go through it all over again when they quit the patch. But I think you need to speak to your doctor to find out what will work best for you. You found a great site here, there are so many helpful people on this site, you will be amazed. Congratulations on your decision to quit. You can do it. Keep coming back here for help and advise. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 566 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $110 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: