Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

writer quitting smoking

17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Piojito, I am a songwriter (Good thoughts, bad spelling. lol.). I share a lot of your thoughts about smoking and I believe I have finally figured it out. We program ourselves to believe that we have that competitive edge due to smoking because you will experience a lot in 10 years and you will associate smoking with all the positive outcomes. That's human nature. The last time I quit for 50 days and went right back to it. Why??? My voice got a lot better, I started feeling more in touch with my songs...So why throw it all away??? Good question. I personally started again because I was addicted. Not to nicotine, I have quit multiple times for 30 days or more. I am addicted to the habit. Driving in my car was not the same. Nor was breaktime at work. An addiction will make you think whatever you need to think to light that next cigarette. Your writing will improve and so will your health. Joe, P.S - Hope this helps a little.
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is very difficult for a writer who uses smoking as a creative aid to stop smoking without affecting his or her craft. I have tried to quit in the past, to be confronted by a gigantic writer's block, to pick up smoking again in order to write. I have been smoking for about 9-10 years. It's gotten much worse in the last year, smoking up to a pack and even more a day. I am 29 years old, and I feel like 40. I don't want to feel this way anymore, but I want to be able to write and think without having to smoke. Cigarettes are a psychological crutch for me. In the last 2-3 days since I've quit smoking, my writing has gone to s**t. If anyone suffers from the same ailment, would like to know how you went about quitting and remaining intellectually and literally productive. If it's not cigarettes, it's food that goes in to quench my anxiety and those eureka moments that tell you to press ahead!
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I sure know what you mean. For me though, its my art thats gone.. :( I sure do miss it....but I know that once the light begins to show, it will come back. I have to have faith in that. (Although I do have those days that it seems hopeless, and I sleep.LOL) I was an artist long before I smoked, and now that I have quit, I have more time to practice, and learn, and enjoy it again. So while I sit here with any skill I may have had seemingly lost, I research :) :) I learn to use new mediums I buy supplies and I make my space, my new Space, which is, above all, [b]smoke-free[/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 510 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Piojito, I totally understand where you are coming from. I am also 29, not a writer, but a photographer. When I would be doing an intense photo manipulation in photoshop, I would have to stop every hour or so and go for a cigarette to "recharge" my creativity. I too feared that quitting would cut off my creative supply, but I found it to be the opposite. Okay, well after the first couple of weeks, I found it to be the opposite. The first 2 weeks or so, I literally did nothing. It was almost like I was reprograming myself. I almost feel as if I am more addicted to the HABIT of smoking than to smoking itself. Now, I have fully quit and I have been more creative in these last 2 days than EVER! Along with my photography, I have been crocheting, kniting, reading up on meditation and Buddhism...and pretty much anything else that keeps me busy. So when I come to a creative barrier, I simply go and do something, anything, that will keep my mind and hands busy. I wouldn't worry too much about your writing going to s**t quite yet. It's still pretty early. Your mind most likely cannot think the way it normally would at the moment b/c of withdrawl. Give it some more time, find a substitute, but stay strong!!!! I smoked the same amount as you for about the same amount of time. You CAN do this. Your writing will be even better than before, I promise, but you have to get over all the withdrawl stuff first. You will come out with a mind that is more clear and sharp than ever before!!! I'm here to chat if you need too....from one artist to another! P.S. Maybe you can write about how your feeling from not smoking...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations piojito :) I have been doing only small and less challenging works since my quit. I�m taking my time because at the moment my quit is more important than my creativity! Anyway artists are not suppose to produce only masterpieces! Use this time to renew yourself as other guys have already suggested and stick to your quit. Good luck :) mitri PS: Have you ever tried writing [i]morning pages[/i] pages (a very effective exercise in Julia Cameron�s The Artist�s Way)? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 157 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $31 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$295,152.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 18

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
piojito, I believe you really have to "reprogram" youself to all of those day to day things without a cigarette. My love is music. I sing so I couldn't puff on a cigarette constantly. But, I always had one burning in the ashtray...readily available. I have been going blank on the words to songs that I've sang so many times. That's part of the addiction and I'm already seeing a huge improvement. I think you have two things going there. I may be wrong and if I am, somone else will jump in and tell me. I know that you will go blank from withdrawing from nicotine but truly, that will pass. I believe another problem you may have there is typing at your computer. Your computer is a huge trigger for you to smoke. My computer was a huge trigger for me....one of the biggest ones. I had to move everything around on my desk and make it different than it was before. Example: Rearraged everything, cleaned my desk really well, sat pictures of my loved ones on my desk, and sat a nice smelling candle and a candy jar where my ashtray use to sit. I think you need to change that trigger up or even move it if you can. If you're using a laptop, start using it somewhere else. Start by helping yourself with that trigger to smoke. You still may have some of that "blank slate" business going on but with the trigger changed up or eliminated, it won't last as long or be as strong. And whatever you're drinking with your cigarette, like coffee for example, drink something else for a while. The "blank slate" business will get better. I don't have to tell you that you're a naturally gifted writer who happens to be addicted to nicotine. You know that already. You can Quit smoking and you're talent will still be there. Go for it and we're here to help and support you. Believe me, we've all been right there. Stay Strong, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 829 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pio, another writer here both for a living and for fun. My head felt like a jelly donut for a month and concentrating was absolute hell. I worried I'd never get it back and nothing like a blank sheet of paper to scare the crap out of you and let old Nic whisper in your ear. Have faith, it does come back and like many have said here, clearer, better than ever before - it's like the oxygen in your brain is feeding the creative flow, very strange but when it finally does happen you'll want to run down the street screaming with glee. Sure I have days I can't write my name and it's just a matter of lost focus. I tend to use an herbal remedy called Kalms which takes the 'thought rainbows' away (no better way to describe the streaming confusion, to be honest) and gets me focused again. Keep the faith, leave the fags to the smokers (of which you're not) and give it time, it'll come back to you. Welcome to the SSC btw. Todash x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,559 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �368.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
piojito I do feel for you on this subject. There is a part of me that understands what you are saying. You obiously love your art and put your entire being into the craft. That is the nature of creativiy, the act of manifesting one's ttrue self in the tangible world...a song, a painting, a book... Think about this though. Our addiction has so tightly wrapped itself around our souls, that we cannot in a subjective way seperate ourselves from smoking. I promise you though that there really is light between your true self and this addiction. The irony of this is that you and I cannot see this seperation until we walk farther away from the addiction. Until we can struggle up a few hills and then look back down the valley can we see the lies that nicotine addiction actually is. Is it the smoking that creates your words on the page? Is Phillip Morris responsible for your best creative efforts? How is it that you only have the ability to write when you stoke your brain on nicotine...It is an illusion of the greatest proportion and a very good example of just how powerful this addiction really is... Why not take your time right now. Maybe you will need to learn new ways to do old things, but I guarantee that it can be done and you will live a lot longer for the doing... Stay well my friend nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,757 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $511 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
piojito - When I first quit, I couldn't get through an entire song on my guitars. It took about a month to get my groove back. It came back, though, big time. Now, I pay more attention to playing because I'm not always worried about a smoke. Good stuff. Be patient. -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,023 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$357,588.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9149 Hours: 2

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm also in the same boat, Piojito -- I have to come up with a peice of writing every single week, come hell or high water. On the side, I also committed to doing major flower arrangements every week. The idea of doing either one of those two things without a cigarette was unthinkable. So yeah, the first couple of weeks were tough, but like so many others on this thread, before long, I found that the flowers were getting done in half the time and were a thousand times better because I wasn't always stopping to puff=puff=puff. The writing is, I think, moderately better. Gum pretty much did it for me -- just something in the mouth. Good luck -- you can surely do this! Surprise yourself by proving it yourself! peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,494 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $709.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: