Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Day one -

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Niks, It is interesting to me how fast you went from not smoking to getting back to 1-2 packs/day. For me, when I have fallen off the wagon, I'll have one smoke and then feel worried about it and go literally a month or two and have a few more, then a week or two, then a day or two, then a few a day (note, this is the first period where I'm throwing away packs of cigarettes like crazy) and then it builds from there to a pack a day again. Then I start trying to quit again (throwing away more packs) and at first it seems to easy to quit, like I've found some magical balance point, so why not smoke (Is that the twisted thinking of an addict, or WHAT!!!) and then eventually it isn't so easy anymore (in fact, it isn't easy at all) and I'm still throwing away packs. And finally, it dawns on me that I am well and truly hooked and need some help. Anyway, I just found it interesting how different we probably all are in our addictions. I wonder if other people, when they have slipped after a long quit very quickly end up like you did, back at full-steam ahead, or if it is more common for them to get slowly pulled in by the addiction. Sorry for the rambling post. I'm just DOING SOMETHING other than smoking. I think I'll go to the gym now. The QM
Good job coming back, Niks. Cigarettes suck don't they? It's crazy how easy it is for them to get you back. Like someone says on here - not one puff - ever. Stay strong and keep posting. The QuitMeister
Niks, each time you say no to the nicodemon you grow stronger and he grows weaker. Turn away and get angry at that addiction. Each time will get easier. By the way, traveling is a trigger for me as well and is the cause of previous slips. These were slips after not smoking for literally years so maybe, as someone here said once, it wasnt' so much a slip as a decision to smoke again (in my case). I don't know why it happens but it is like a feeling of freedom when I travel and I think I may want it to be "complete" - like as in no restrictions. I don't know but I need to figure that out for myself as well because traveling has been the trigger that has ended many quits for me. The QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Niks, don't beat yourself up over it; spilled milk and all. But learn from yourself and be totaly honest about how you set yourself up to smoke at some point during the vacation. I know! I've done it too, in the past. I start listening to the negative talk in my mind (which is really the darned addiction talking) and the next thing you know, smoking seems to be an option. But if I'm really brutally honest, I let it happen, and I chose to smoke, because I didn't put my coping skills into place, I just opted out. But now, here we are, together with all these wonderfully supportive folks at this site, and it couldn't be easier to find help when you need it! Do please post instead of smoke, it's really much more healthy, not to mention much more fun!!! Yahoo, what a ride. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 64 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Niks- Too bad you holiday didn't work out as planned. Bummer! Jump back into the quit and life will be good, again. I'll bet if you tell your new smoking colegue that you are working on quitting, they will be much more supportive. If, not, that is her problem. You have this group to support you. I can't believe I've been alm ost amonth, with the help of this site. Steve [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 485 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good to see you back on track Niks. This is definitely the place to be. The support is great. Keep strong and keep posting. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 71 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Niks, You've made the first step already, coming back here. That's good. You sound like you know what needs to be done. Get straight back in there and win the battle this time! Best wishes, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,165 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �231 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Niks I had 3 weeks inSpain and I must admit the lack of smoke did have its problems. I made it but only just and can understand why youhad a relapse because I personally came so close. You have done me good seeing your quit meter breaks my heart for you but scares me in case it is ever me!!! Keep going again mate we are all watching you! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,403 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �367.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Niks; I remember you from early in my own quit. Sure is good to see you back. I blew a quit after being on SSC for some time too. Understand the shame & remorse too but it's time to move on from that. Time to just get into the quit, eh? Besides, people here don't dwell on other's failure, they'd much rather help each other succeed. Like you did with me when I was new. Thanks for coming back. Ericon [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,132 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $435 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Niks, It sounds like you've learned a very valuable lesson and are now completely convinced that one cigarette = full time smoking in no time flat! That is a very important lesson. Now, you're back to make this your FINAL quit! Just keep up the great work! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 355 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,886 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1466.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58

Reading this thread: