Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,523 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7

New to the site BUT not new to the failure of tring to quit

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi just want to quit. I am like you and rocmog. The part about dying because of smoking doesn't scare me. Don't get me wrong, I love life and I do not WANT to die, but at the same time I'm not afraid to die. I've never been one to be 'scared' of death. I have to look at the 'death' aspect of smoking differently in order for it to bother me or touch me profoundly on any level within myself. So I DO look at it differently for my benefit. I compare 'dying from smoking' to suicide. Smoking is no different than suicide. It is just a long suicide instead of a quick one. If I were to commit suicide, that would be a very selfish thing to do in my opinion. I would cause my husband, my children, my parents, and my friends all kinds of heartache and grief. I love all of them and would not ever want to a part of purposely causing them that kind of pain. I'm new to this site, but I have a feeling that it is the right place to get the support that all of us quitters need to help us on this wonderful journey together! And it can be wonderful, we just have to have that mindset. I wish you the best of luck in your quit. You can do it. X-Smoker's Glove Compartment Todays Date: 5/18/2006 My Mileage: My Quit Date: 5/13/2006 Smoke-Free Days: 5 Cigarettes Not Smoked: 165 Amount Saved: $20 Life Gained: Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 9 Seconds: 54
  • Quit Meter

$54,495.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 9

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks you two...it is so nice knowing that people do care...my quit date May 22,06....I'm scared but excited all in one...Thanks again for the warm welcome...Cindy
  • Quit Meter

$90,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6401 Hours: 21

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone, as you can see i am new here to your site but not new to the quitting process, i have tried time and time again to quit smoking and failed everytime,my name is Cindy i am 38yrs old and have been smoking for 23yrs two packs a day soild up until a year ago when i went down to about a pack to a pack in a hafe a day. Scare tactics havent worked on me ( mother has COPD,father drop dead of a massive heart attack,lost both inlaws to cancer related to smoking)you'd think i would have learned, patch after patch hasnt help, pills havent help. In my heart i know i want to quit but the addiction draws me right back in. I am angry that i let this addiction win over me. I so do want to quit.....Cindy
  • Quit Meter

$90,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6401 Hours: 21

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cindy: Your situation really sucks. Your like me. Things just don't scare me. Oh my god I could die from cancer...(extreme sarcasm) Just as well I'm no one to tell you what will definatelly work cause I haven't decided a quit date but I would love to help if I can. I want to quit too, and am going to use what I've learned to try again. Maybe we are a little different...I know you may think that any logical person would quit after going through what you went through but I see that as more of an emotional thing. Maybe I'm right to look for something logical to help me, and maybe that will help you too. I'm just saying. Read all you can and seperate the crap from the truth. I'm going to try vitamins to help the physical side of it all. Maybe that'll help? Tell me if it does anything for you. Later!
  • Quit Meter

$90,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6704 Hours: 10

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey cindy your not alone, I have just joined,am still smoking, waiting for pills to work, I am you are worth it. Keep trying, keep intouch. Mr mom
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome & good Luck! I know you can do it! Your strong and if you take the right steps you can be a non-smoker! We are here for you when you need us! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 296 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cindy, Welcome to SSC, If you haven't done so already go threw the quit program on the left side. That for me answered alot of my questions I had at the beginning. I suggest you read, read and read some more. You will find you are a normal addict just like the rest of us. Some have struggled but are successful and some (the lucky ones) breeze right threw. Have you set a quit date?? Get ready to drink lots of water that is the best thing to do to wash away the toxins after you have started your quit. My first week I slept alot then I slept some more. Made "hell week" not so bad. Im a cold turkey quitter. I was about a pack a day smoker for about 21 years. Post often, use us to yell at scream at, relieve your stress ect. You will always find great support here. Alley [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 624 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cindy, Reading your note sounds like how addited I am... I have now been off the smokes for about 45 days... and it's hard, hardest thing I've ever done... gone through mad divorce and this smoking thing is harder... Have tried to quit many times... I have almost 10 years of smoking on top of you and have tried many times. This time, I have started to quit about a year ago... have quit this cigarette today... dropping one cig. at a time... until I was down to about 7-8 a day... then I set a date and bam... did it. This time I'm telling myself that I want to become a Non Smoker versus saying I want to quit... Head game maybe but I'm determined. Everytime I would lit up, for that last few yrs, I would get mad at myself that I HAD to smoke that darn cig. I am not happy about myself that I am an addict to tobacco... and I have to tell you that there isn't a day that goes by that my body craves it... I want to be a NON smoker... and I repeat that many times a day... All this to say to you, I understand. You are NOT alone. Keep trying... :)
  • Quit Meter

$204,358.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6422 Hours: 22

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cindy and welcome... Spend some serious time here and read as much as you can. There's some good advice here for you on this thread. Hold tight, build up your toolbox of coping skills and proactive behaviors for those really though times and know we are all here for you. Love and Light- Healer[url=[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/lilfairy.gif[/IMG]][IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/lilfairy.gif[/IMG][/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,621 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $344.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cindy, you are not a failure otherwise you would not be here right now. Most of us have had several attempts at quitting, one of my favourite sayings is that you only have to succeed once - and it is right. Once you have set a date, use this site 100%. It helps so much to come to a place full of fellow quitters who not only understand first hand what you are going through but can also offer real life experienes. You can do this, most of us would say 'if we can then you can also'. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 100 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,201 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �250 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36

Reading this thread: