Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

5 months on

18 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kevin Congatulations!!! My husband and I were talking about this very subject last night. He quit 15 years ago and he said that every now and then he will experience a pang but it leaves as fast it started. Maybe they do last forever, but we can take it!!!
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on 5 months, that is a fantastic achievement. I can't advise you on the long-term crave and pangs situation as that will be uncharted territory for me (longest quit previously was about 6 months). All I can say is that as long as the desire to remain smoke free is greater than the desire to smoke, then none of us will have a problem! Keep on not lighting up! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 339 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've gone past the 5 month mark now and am so pleased with how I feel (20 years younger!), how I don't stink etc etc. Best thing I've ever done. But I am curious about one thing - I still get pangs every now and again - they're easy to cope with and won't cause me to smoke again but they do remind me of smoking, a subject that I would like to forget! How long do these last for? Someone told me that because I smoked for 33 years that they will go on for ever.
18 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kevin! I am not as far along as you, but my experience so far is that quitting smoking is akin in some ways to the death of someone you knew. You have to go through every experience during a year and experience without a ciggie. My biggest trigger so far was, of all things, decorating a Christmas tree! When I was through, I SO wanted a ciggie as a reward for a job well done (and it WAS A BEAUTY this year!!). And on it goes....cleaning the house, doing laundry, etc etc....Just kick it and go on. I now am battling weight and have to dump 10 pounds. Ah well, such is life. I smoked for 40 (count 'em) 40 years!!! old SILVER :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,928 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $845 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hate to say it but you will probably always have smoking in your mind. I hear there are those who have mild cravings 2 and 3 years after quitting. Not that they even think of picking one up but you have to be prepared for that possibility. N.O.P.E. Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure Kevin. Someone said you have to go through an entire year experience each of the seasons smoke free before you are truly free. I'm not sure how true that is but I'll let you know as soon as I get there :). All I can say is it gets better and better every single day!! Congratulations on 5 smoke free months. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 207 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $724.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And there you have the truth. What it boils down to is ..No body knows for sure. But it doesn't ever get as bad as the first weeks unless you start up again. And if it does go on forever, then that is the price we will pay for having stayed with it for so long. I for one, am willing live with the cost, in order to be free. Cheryl [font=georgia][size=4][color=navy]No Joking, I'm Still NOt Smoking![/font][/size][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/4/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 205 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,934 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $584.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Kevin. Information I've found is it takes about a year for the brain to recover from the damage nicotine addiction did to it. This is probably at the root of the need to experience all the seasons before you can be truly quit. Plus, craves seem to be memory triggered. Again, each season has its own set of strong, repeated memories that smoking is connected to. Every time you encounter an event in which you used to smoke, you will probably experience some level of crave. With each smoke-free encounter, the smoking connection to that memory weakens until it is completely extinguished. With some memories only one encounter is necessary, some will need more than one. I doubt if they will go on forever, although the possibility of being hit with a crave out of the blue will always be there. My boss was hit with one after being quit for 11 years. That was 8 years ago and he hasn't had another. Don't go through life expecting a crave around every corner, but also don't despair if one hits. Just know that it is normal, it will not be signifying the ressurection of hell week, and it will pass just as they all have. Congratulations on 5 months, Kevin. Fantastic accomplishment. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 246 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,929 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $934.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I was 5 days old I had surgery for a birth defect. At that time the mortality rate for that defect was 75%. So I had a 25% chance of survival. Now, 54 years later, I still get a very annoying deep itch under the scar every few months. Doctor said there's nothing wrong, just some nerves never properly healed. It only lasts a few minutes, but it's quite distracting while it happens. It's a small price to pay considering the alternative was an early death. Itch or crave or nag; bring 'em on. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 248 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,971 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $942.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A gold star for you for 5 months quit!!! I would rather have an occasional desire to smoke than an obsessive desire to quit smoking. Wouldn't you? Like Diamonds, but without the sparkle...Addictions are forever! It's a choice! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,239 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $563.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$330,699.68

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6032 Hours: 6

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: