Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

query for long term quitters

16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penitent, Jan, Stickin, Thanks for your input, it's always nice to have some ballpark figures. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine So "deeply absorbed in thought" the first couple weeks and as other have said, gradually fades away. You don't become conscious of the fact that you hadn't thought about smoking. It kind of just sneaks up on you. You come to realize that, hey, I haven't thought about smoking in xx number of hours, days, weeks... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 774 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,932 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,257.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 144 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, Its a gradual process for me. I still think about my quit, but not as often. I'm able to put my attention for a while to other things now. Can't wait until the obsession is completely gone! Cheers, Jan :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 975 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $331.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
8 months and I was done. Penitent
  • Quit Meter

$57,288.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1134 Hours: 16

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, The number of times I have been asked that question! It is so difficult to answer. If you are waiting for a day, when all the thoughts disappear forever, then it does not happen like that. What does happen, is you suddenly notice that you did not think of smoking for x number of hours, or for the whole day.....but the next day may be different. It is over time that the difference becomes noticeable. The number of days that you do not think about smoking increases, and becomes more than the number of days that you do. Then you will go weeks and months without thinking about it! After all the effort of the first few weeks, you may be feeling a bit flat about the quit. Time for a reward to acknowledge all that effort you have been putting in. I'd also like to remind you that when you smoked, you would have thought about smoking all day (when can I fit my next cigarette in?). You are doing great...keep up the awesome work! Lizzie :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1766 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 26,490 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,622.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 181 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$8,922.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 789 Hours: 9

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, you're right on top of your 50 Days (tomorrow)! Well done... patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $393.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elaine, I pretty much lived on this site. First thing in the morning I would run to the pc and read. I was amazed at the support and kindness I was given here. I also realized I was an addict and it is obsession that kept me that way. I practiced deep breathing. Sometimes my craves would be so bad I would forget to breath. Stress come from ever direction and I thought things would never feel normal again. Then with the help of some well educated people on this site I learned addiction is not normal. I had to re-think my way of thinking about how I wanted to live my life and I decided it would be smoke free. After that it just takes time. I still think about smoking. I know it is not an option. I don't smoke [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 232 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $928.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think if I could draw i graph and 100 was the highest level of obsession, I would have been at 100 for almost every waking moment for the first 3 weeks. Eventually, I would go entire days without smoking and then, sometimes, a craving would hit me out of the blue. Now, for the most part, I still have smoking memories that hit me every once in awhile. The other day I went away with non-smoking friends and when I came home realized how I just take the fact that I am not obsessing about cigarettes for granted. Before I would have spent the entire day wondering when I could get my next fix. Congrats on 50 days! Rewards are great! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 528 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,640.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elaine, I know what you mean about wanting your mind to rest, I guess that is why I have taken up the love of sleeping. I have OCD, so trying to shut my brain off from obsessing is near impossible. I always thought if I could turn that into a talent, like, obessessing about something good, but it never works that way. It is finally getting better, I only spend half of each hour thinking about it, but not always craving it. I can tell the difference between cravings and thoughts now, before I made them feel the same. It is different for everyone, I work with plenty of successful longterm quitters who are absolutly solid and dispise smoking and would never go back. We can do this, it will just take training, like a new little puppy or infant, this is new and we will grow into it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $288.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey No answer to that today was odd I was thinking about smoking most days nothing! Luv me xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 562 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,364 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2,950.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 113 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: