Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Dwelling makes it so much more Difficult

12 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope you find some guidance in this thread.
13 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump.   Yes dwelling makes it so much harder.  This time I have tried to understand there will be craves, irges and thoughts..  That comes with  addiction.  The only way I found to get through them is not to ignore them.. to say to myslef yes..this would be a normal times to light up. I have stopped smoking, I no longer smoke.  Then i try to decide if I am hungry or thirsty.. or just go do something else.

If you dwell on it .. it will continue to haunt you.. If you acknowledge it and move on it goes away much faster.

Bonnie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/7/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 935
Amount Saved: $187.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 7 Mins: 5 Seconds: 56

13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another bump for my new quit buddies!

Sticking To It makes a great point in this post!  Go forth into your quit with a Positive Mental Attitude, a Can Do Attitude and a lose not one battle to the nico-demon attitude!!  What do you think? 

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 846
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,150
Amount Saved: $3,489.75
Life Gained:
Days: 145 Hrs: 17 Mins: 43 Seconds: 20

• Quit Meter

$44,235.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 17

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DWELL DWELL DWELL. Stop thinking negative thoughts. Stop thinking that I can't smoke. Start thinking that i don't smoke and i don't care that i don't smoke. Not smoking doesn't bother me at all, not one single bit. I love not smoking. Being smoke free is the way to be, the way to live. (Sorry, just had to do some positive self talk!!)If i keep doing it maybe i will believe it soon! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 105 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I so agree with this. I knew it was different when I finally "surrendered" to the quit. I "surrendered" to the pain. I didn't fight against the quit. I didn't dwell on my deprivation, withdrawal, pain, anger or sadness. I certainly felt all of those things - but I chose to accept that while I might feel bad, I would not smoke. I would choose to feel bad and not smoke as many days as it took to one day feel less bad.....and then at some point I would feel even less bad....and so on. Honestly, you can choose to dwell. As long as you don't smoke. Sure, it'll be harder - but if you want to dwell -- go ahead. Just don't smoke. Things will get better. It's inevitable. Lori [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $208.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dwelling, oh boy that can be big trouble for me. I just haven't allowed myself to much time to dwell (think) on smoking. When I catch myself I remind myself I am a non-smoker and non-smokers don't thing about smoking :eg: Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 256 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $384.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Den I was hoping that it would help relax you and put you to sleep at night. If you have anything stronger, than knock yourself out :eg: Best wishes to you. Make us all happy! Congrats, day 4 and still standing!! :gasp: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 719 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,942 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,954.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 134 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
Thanks for the advice! I think i will buy some hot chocolate for home, that would be a nice treat. How will advil or aspirin help? Just wondering. Willing to try anything! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Den, Ease yourself, hot chocolate or tea, a hot shower, advil or aspirin, bed early and soft music. You can do it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 718 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,924 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,949.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 133 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
I so agree with what you are saying about "dwelling". But right now that is where i seem to be. If i am not at work then my mind has the time to think about my quit and just dwell there and being at day four it is usually negative things. I try to think about other things but it keeps jumping back to my quit and giving me negative things about quitting. (and yes, sometimes i do come up with some things!) I have been saying this past four days that it would be a whole lot easier to do this if i could just shut my mind off for awhile! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46

Reading this thread: