Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Not smoking and other ramblings

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Breather on your  seven months!
Wow, time goes by fast!
I loved your post. It is my personal belief that most of the people that get hooked to cigarrettes, have an addictive personality!
But I think that we can turn this characteristic into a quality. We cn become addicted to quitting. If we need substitution as most of the addicts do, we can become addicted to the quit. And this is good.
I consider myself into this categorie.
Congratulations again Breather,210 days is awsome!
Hugs
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 139
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,085
Amount Saved: $208.50
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 18 Mins: 55 Seconds: 52

14 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Breather!!! Keep it up one day at a time. I am smoke free today too, we both need to be proud of our accomplishment! I think everyone on here has an addictive personality or we wouldn't be smokers trying to live smoke free. I love liquorish and if I buy a bag I have to eat the whole thing...a few are never enough. Needless to say I have stopped buying it for a treat. Food is certainly a problem for me...all or nothing. I am trying so hard to watch what I am eating, I can't afford to gain weight. There is already enough of me to love! lol  I never smoked inside, just out on my balcony. I spent hours out there smoking and now have problems disassociating my balcony with smoking.
 I have rewarded myself with flowers and went to the library and got two books. Hopefully, by enjoying my books and drinking lots of ice water I will associate that relaxation with my balcony...it is so pretty out there.We are who we are and all we can do is try to deal with our obsessive behaviors. For me, these forums really help...we are not alone. Good luck and congratulations, 7 months is great!!  

Trillium

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 180
Amount Saved: $28.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 7 Mins: 48 Seconds: 3

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know, breather, I know what you mean. I haven't been addicted to just about everything, but I've been in Al-Anon for twenty-two years, and, of course, I was a smoker. My thing is that for most of my life I have felt empty. I grew up in foster care and never felt at home no matter where I was. Truth is, sometimes in my early adulthood I had no home. I got through college while homeless. And that was enough of an accomplishment, because I didn't graduate with a high enough grade point average. Nothing was ever enough. I racked up college degrees because I didn't have enough education. Every time I started a new job I would just start looking for the next raise. I couldn't stop accumulating. I was angry and irritable most of the time. Like I told people, They could just call me 'Appetite'. The only way I let go is by getting tired. I'm tired of smoking now. I'm tired of seeing myself as a failure. I'm letting go.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 40
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,080
Amount Saved: $405.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 11 Mins: 8 Seconds: 56

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don, congratulations on reaching 7 months smoke free!   Thanks for some good insight!  Boy do those 221 days look great on ya!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 294
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,760
Amount Saved: $2,940.00
Life Gained:
Days: 43 Hrs: 23 Mins: 7 Seconds: 27

14 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great job Breather!! 7 months is awesome.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 75
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,500
Amount Saved: $375.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 22 Mins: 35 Seconds: 35

14 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Josie for the support.  
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 211
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,550
Amount Saved: $5,064.00
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 18 Mins: 22 Seconds: 4

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
breather,

Excellent insight and amazing choice!

Thank you for sharing with us and congrats on 7 months!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's been a while since my last cigarette. Some 7 months ago to be exact. I still have thoughts of smoking although I try not to entertain those thoughts most times I end up thinking about it anyway. If you haven't smoked today or for ten years you're the same as me. You have the same thing , today. I'm somewhat of an addictive personality and have been addicted to just about every addiction known to man at one time or another. Addiction can take many forms. It's about stuffing. Instead of stuffing myself with cigarettes I can stuff myself with food. I can become addicted to rewards and even posting. I don't see this as just stopping smoking but recovering from smoking. It's about learning new ways to be comfortable in my own skin. It's one thing to stop but am I happy about it. Of course it's the right thing to do but the addict will say differently. I used to smoke constantly while on the computer and didn't think I could be on it without smoking but now know I can. Smoking was my life. I'm learning how to live without it now. It's a new life now and it's a choice. I made a choice some 7 months ago. I'm not responsible for my addiction but I am responsible for my recovery. I'm planning on plugging along day by day not smoking. I can't promise tomorrow because today's all I have. I hope you're having a smoke free day same as me.  Excellent. breather 211 Addict still 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 211
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,550
Amount Saved: $5,064.00
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 17 Mins: 18 Seconds: 2

Reading this thread: