Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

I feel HORRIBLE

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
islandgirl Not for nothin, but Bear has a point there...I think that you will find that nicotine and alchohol have a chemical symbiosis. I can't explain it in chemistry terms, but I do know that there is an underlying principle here. It dosen't mean that you should never drink again, after you are more comfortable in your new quitting suit, the two will not call out to each other so strongly. Just a thought... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 396 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,158.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 10

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Stinky Smoker, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am feeling better. Amazing the confidence you feel when you finally feel like you are getting some control over your addictions! I am now at the "Feelin Proud" stage, if I can make it this first week, it has to get easier..PMA..Positive Mental Attitude is my mantra for the day.
16 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep fighting the urge, it gets easier and easier. goodluck
Hey Bear...I went to a smoke-free bar, made it MUCH easier!! ;-)
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic, Thanks for sharing the great words of advice! Keep up the great work members! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds to me like your going to be just fine.No lecture intended but you may want to duck the bars for a while they can be a source of trouble. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 310 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,100.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 75 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
Hey nonic Thanks so much for the fine advice. You understand (as all the others here) just what I am going thru. Woke up this morning feeling stronger. So nice NOT to smell smoke on my clothes. I went out to a bar last night and I did take some nicotine gum for reinforcements....but this guy walked up to talk to me and smelled like cigarettes and it almost made me physically sick! I think this is working!! I think I CAN DO IT!!!! To all of you in this community, we all know that it takes support to help us thru our most diffucult times and I thank you all for being here for me! Hope to return the favor down the road!
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Islandgirl You have this exactly correct. It is not easy. It is change. The most amazing thing about this process is that once we have begun, we are surprised to find that we are addicted. Oh we always knew that on some level, but it is not until we finally decide to end our enslavement that the full weight of our situation becomes apparent. I can see that you are already recognizing the enemy in your fight. The fact that you categorize the craving feeling as "the after dinner cigarette" tells me that you understand the nature of triggers. And even though it may feel badly at the moment, you are actually developing coping mechanisms both on a conscious and a subconscious level that will help you deal with that particular situation every time it returns. I have long thought that the addiction and subsequent withdrawal lives in the physical as well as the emotional realm. If it where simply a physical activity from which we where disengaging, all we would have to do is "just say no". That would be easy right...Sure if we where single celled organisms. However, quitting is a process of some substance. Smoking cessation has forced me to sit down and "have a cup of tea with myself". Finding the why of addiction has been essential for me. It has helped me identify those times when I am at most risk. Much of the process is all about recognizing those sighn posts. This may not be an easy process, but I promise you that if you hang in, if you grit it out when it seems that you can not walk one more step forward, you will reach a place of resolution. This is the single most important thing that you can do for yourself in terms of physical well being. It is worth the effort, simply because you are worth the effort. There are many people here who understand and will help you at any time. Stay around here as much as possible, the very fact of knowing that others are going through the same experience will give the addtional courage you will need in those "difficult times"... Good luck nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 395 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,147.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 10

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Islandgirl, Your right....it's tough. Lots of things we do in life are tough and we just do them. I can tell you for sure...... It's sort of like having a baby...... the labor is tough...but after.....ahhhhhhhh..... it was so worth it. Your doing a great job!!!....really great Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 367 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,640.49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, islandgirl, You deserve a big reward for getting through that first day. Anything that makes you feel good. As all these other great quitters have said, hang in there, drink water, come here and post, just hang in, it does get better, cause we know you're no sissie! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 306 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,080.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27

Reading this thread: