Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Prayer

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The beauty of prayers is to see them answered! I asked God to help me quit smoking,but then in my heart knew the smoking had been my own choice. I couldn't (in good conscience) expect him to answer it. ...but you know what....he did anyway! I had come to him in total disgust for myself after trying several times and thought..."if they could just make a pill or something that could keep those craves away". Ps 23 The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want. Dear Father, watch over all of us and keep us in your grace. Let our understanding become clear. Please help us help others to see the light of the addiction we have come to know and abhore. Thank You Lord Amen :) auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $323 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to be gone for so long -- love this thread! Here's my all time favorite -- "Jesus is coming; look busy." And I guess we could add, "Make sure you don't smell." peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 134 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $737 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
I also agree that this is way cool. But in my typical, ordained, controlling way, I have a few "friendly amendments:" The way I heard that quote was, "If God is your co-pilot, you're in the wrong seat," which strikes me as a little more direct. Another good one, totally unrelated, is "Jesus is coming: Look busy." (That's my favorite of all time.) My concern here is for all the people just like us, who could not have come to this place without a power greater than themselves, but who might use different words to name that power. After all, many Jews find the tetragramaton -- the Divine Name -- too sacred to pronounce; Cherokees have invoked a Name eerily similar to YHWH for at least 500 years before Columbus could ever have delivered it; Muslims, Christians, and Jews share the faith of Abraham. We're all in this together, but many of us use different names, delivered to us in vastly different ways, for the same power of love, wisdom, and creation in the world. Can we agree that whatever language we use is imperfect and we intend it to reflect universal experience? Or am I making much ado about nothing? (Certainly wouldn't be the first time...) peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,500 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $715 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
I get a little skittish going too public, even given the nature of my profession, but since "Higher Power" is a universally recognized and accepted component of 12-step, and since our own "Higher Powers" are known throughout the world by many names, I don't feel like such a crummy little 2-bit preacher throwing my two cents' in: Oh my Lord, I would never be where I am today without HP (Higher Power, not Hewlett Packard!!). After 30+ years of deep addiction and countless quit attempts, I knew my only hope was in drugs and HP. (Not necessarily in that order....) Now, some what? 130 days into it? I find my resolve weakening dramatically -- like so many others here, I find myself being just worn out by the constant pull of the crave, even after all this time. But the real issue is that with every new day on the meter, I came to rely more on my own strength and power... such arrogance. It is only by the grace of God that I haven't succombed, and this post makes me realize that the less I rely on HP, the weaker I am. Thanks for that!! peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,494 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $709.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a comfort this thread is to me! My favorite self-talk at this point of my quit is "Be still and bask in the light of His love." Those words have saved me more than once. I'm not sure where I heard them or how long I've cherished them. BUT I do know, that they give me peace in moments of turmoil. I'll keep on reading here as long as someone is posting! Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 135 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,707 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $506.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Although I didn't read the Bible, I frequently prayed for the strength to get through the day. Now I say prayers of thanks for getting me as far as I am. I think that alot of people here have a strong faith and that faith helps them through this difficult process. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 178 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,576 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $890 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I certainly find this thread comforting. I thank God for helping me with this quit. I couldn't have done it without Him. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,789 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $531 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 744 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So true! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 234 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,878 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $877.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow!!!! Such strong faith in this group and I find that so very uplifting! Thanks for starting this thread, Mercy! I was raised the daughter of a preacher. The first time I got caught smoking (age 10/rabbit tobacco rolled in dried leaves) I was made to memorize all the books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Duetronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth.....)I can still do it, folks! ;p As a teenager, I disliked the Bible being crammed down my throat, and I turned away from the Lord for many years. I could not be called athiest, more agnostic.......I was first to drop to my knees, out of habit, when the $hi+ hit the fan! :blush: Sometime ago, I felt the need to get in touch with Jesus once again. My family searched and visited many churches before we fell in love with a small country Methodist church with strong family values. I insisted on a 'good fit' between church and our family. We tried ALL churches---I raised strict Southern Baptist---much to MY family's dismay, we could be found at Catholic services, Church of Christ, Pentacostal, Seventh Day Adventist, Interdemonitional, Baptist, etc..... The bottom line is...it really doesn't matter. As long as we believe in a Supreme Being...no matter WHAT we call Him, we are all brothers and sisters. We need to love one another. We need not approve of the behaviors, but of the person (much like we feel about our children). We can still love our children as we move with no forwarding address! LOL! I think that God feels the same way towards us over matters of smoking and excessive drink and other ways that we harm our bodies, the temple of God. Just something to think about. God Bless! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,598 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And we are so very happy to have you join us here! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,477 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1512 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: