Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Thinking as a Non Smoker

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, take this for example. Now I'm not saying this would ever happen but just say it did and you would normally smoke in this situation but now, you have none. Say you're on a very, very long train ride and on this train, you can smoke IF you have them. The train is tossing you from side to side making you a nervous wreck because you're seriously worried about the condition of the tracks. The guy seated to your right could care less about the tracks and is asleep. His head keeps falling onto your shoulder, causing him to slobber on your brand spanking new blouse, and his breath smells like hell. Not to mention he's farting like a mule. There's a small boy across the way who's pitching a fit and his mother is trying to reason with him by using psychology but, it's doing no good. The fit continues and now, you've developed a whale of a headache. There's a little girl seated just in front, turned backwards and peering over the seat at you, and she's now up to the 176th time of asking, "Are were there yet?" There's a couple sitting behind you speaking an unknown language very loud and really fast. On top of all of this, you can't change seats because the train is completely full. Then, you hear a loud BOOOM sound coming from the rear of the train followed by the conductor saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, there will be a delay in our arrival. We will have more information for you as it becomes available." You have no smokes. What do you do? What do you do? ha ha ha ha ha Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,053 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Imallclear, I saw your post and I have to tell you how very proud I am of you. You have the makings up a true champion! You are very, very cool. Day 100 coming up for you!
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would expand Dutch Fini's response for me. As a smoker I thought: When can I smoke, How long can I stay here and smoke, Where can I get more smokes, When am I going to quit, Why do I have to quit, What is all this saying about me? As a non-smoker I think: Smoking? What smoking? When smoking thoughts creep into my head I flush them - I refuse to enterain them. I don't think how nasty it tasted (I never thought it did), or how good I think it would taste - b/c smokers don't consider that. period. I flush them by telling myself that I have made a rational choice and must stick to it. I'm not even going to get into the yata yatas about it. Its not up for discussion. I'm just gotta not do it. As a smoker I thought: I'm going for a cigarette. As a non smoker I think varied thoughts: It's a happy day - I'll celebrate by ___________(insert anything but smoking here - it's not on the board as an option) I'm ticked off - What would happen if I am/are not assertive in this situation. What is the best way to address this right now. Feel'n low today - I think I'll _____________________(insert anything but smoking here - it's not on the board as an option). The transition really does happen over time. I think its something you one day realize "I didn't even think about smoking today". But of course, then at that point you have thought about it and consequently have still have a ways to go. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 966 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I havent had any triggers since Spring has Sprung...but there are more smokers outside, lighting up which the smell causes me to gag =( [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,934 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $585 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$36,207.34

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 421 Hours: 18

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, I think its a very tough thing to give directions because alot of it is the mental process, but will give it a try... I have quit many times before, so have gone down that road of the ranting and raving and wishing I could smoke, and that was just the hard mans way to quit. This time, I took a deep breath and set my attitude straight. The fact is I am a nicotine addict and I cannot smoke, smoking is not an option, because if I smoke I will be right back in the old rut of felling awful and wishing I could quit. I have closed the door on smoking. I cannot go back. That has given me alot of peace of mind. Now of course that doesn't get rid of the physical cravings that come from time to time, BUT, it does give them less power over me, they are controllable! Visualize if you will, the cartoon character who turns his head around till its facing the right way. Thats kind of what I mean. The second thing is the physical withdrawal, it is much better this time, is it because of my different attitude?? I think it is. It seems easier this time. All my ranting and raving and letting the anger control me, did nothing for me, it just made me fail. This time, I have focused hard on not letting the anger (or fear) get in the way of my quit. My quit comes first. I will worry about weight issues and other issues later, because for me the quit comes first. It has become something "I have" to do. I guess mind over matter is suitable. You do the things you have to do every day, like go to a job you may not like, but you do it anyway because you have to make a living. Its that kind of importance you have to put on it. I need to do this, so there is no going back. Smoking is not an option anymore. Period. Hope this is helpful! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 764 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $316.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can't believe I am at day 7. Yet. A friend just rang to ask if I wanted to go with her to Italy to her new holiay home but instead of thinking 'Oh that's nice' I immediately thought about who else might be going and whether I would be able to smoke..... Then I remind myself I am a non-smoker and gosh won't that be a breeze. To go anywhere and it not be a problem. But still there is a little voice saying things like: "Won't that be boring...." "Will I still be a non-smoker in 4 months......" "What will I do all day if I can't smoke and I don't have the distractions of work and home......." Don't all start shouting about how you wish you could be asked to go to Italy. That's not the point. I'm just letting off steam. The whole thought process is so ingrained and I wonder how long it takes to stop thinking that way.
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, Non-smokers don't think that a smoke will help them get through "such and such." They deal with things in different ways. They have other coping mechanisms. Therefore, it's important for us to develop LOTS of coping mechanisms, just like non-smokers do. Non-smokers also don't think about smoking all the time. Yes, I know that this one takes a while for us to develop, but it's important that at some point, we are letting go of the smoking thoughts when they come and are not dwelling on them. Non-smokers don't do that, so either can we. Non-smokers don't keep smoking paraphenalia around "just in case." They don't own it... they've NEVER owned it. So either should we. I keep a lighter around for lighting candles, but that's it - AND, it's not a lighter I had when I smoked. When I first quit, I had to get rid of ALL smoking related items... and after a while, I was able to get a lighter for candles (I HATE matches!) but I made sure that it wasn't a lighter that I would associate with smoking. If it were the same lighter or a similar lighter to one I'd had when I was smoking, I think it would have brough on more smoking thoughts. Non-Smokers HATE smoking! They hate everything about it and don't understand why people smoke. We DO understand, so we can have compassion for those who do smoke, but I think it's still important for us to hate every aspect of smoking - don't hate the smokers... hate the ACT of smoking. Hope that helps. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 656 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2709.28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great way to come to together and share your experiences. This is a new season, so you may have to do some preparing as triggers may arise :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti - If you haven't already, read the last paragraph in my most recent post in the thread - "It's a Very Tough Morning". I came up with a great solution for how you & I can [i]think as a non smoker[/i] :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,378 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $253.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,725.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 7

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tutti, As you wrote: It is important to think as a non smoker. I'll give you the differences between smokersthoughts and non smokersthoughts. A smoker thinks: Cigaret taste good. Cigarets have something to do with happiness. Cigarets make you feel goed. I miss something when I can't smoke. You can add as many thoughts as you like. A non smoker thinks: Cigarets tastes filthy. I do not understand what a ciggy has to do with happiness. I do not miss anything when I can't smoke. etc etc. To think as a non smoker you have to change your mind about cigarets and see them for what they really are: A piece of paper with poissoned tabacco in it. I hope this helps you a little. As for the triggers you run into: That is a normal thing to happen. You haven't had spring for a long time because you stopped smoking for 45 days. Each season brings you new triggers. You have to overwin that triggers to get rid of them. I wish you the best of luck :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 368 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,048 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1085.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32

Reading this thread: