Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,627 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

After the Smoke Clears

17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear lady, You sound like such a wonderful person. I have read alot of your posts and you seem so together. We are not going to beat you up over what you are feeling. Sometimes depression is not caused by the factors in our daily lives but from hormones. I too look at my life sometimes and feel, compared to others, I have no reason to feel sad or sorry, but sometimes I do feel sad. And maybe it is not depression you are feeling. Does it go on day after day? Or does it come and go? We cannot be continually happy 24-7.But what I can say to you is to continue to be strong. Maybe you need a new thing to embrace. Maybe it's baggage from those factors in your life early on that caused the depression to begin with. What you must focus is on the positives and continue to celebrate your successes.Staying smoke free for 435 days is a landmark accomplishment. Helping newcomers to this sight like myself is a wonderful thing. You are needed here to guide us through this.Knowing that you are needed and helping others keep the quit may help you shake off those feelings. We will be here for you like you have been there for us.. Take care Maria [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 141 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 589 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lady, I don't know if I have much to offer in the way of support, but I do hope you see your doctor again to see if he can help you. And i really hope you feel better soon
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lady, Just wanted to send you my love! I don't think there is anything that I can add that hasn't already been said. I hope you've had a better day today. xxx
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good on yer, girl! :)
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lady Funny you should come up with this stuff today. I am only on day 35 and have a long way to go but only this morning I was thinking 'Is this as good as it gets?' 'Is this normal?' perhaps this is reality which I have avoided? Perhaps we sometimes expect too much from quitting and build our expectation levels too high.Stopping smoking solves a massive problem( or six) in our lives but its not the solution to everything Enough of my rambling Hope you get my meaning Phil xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 687 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �153 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, As you are well aware, many of us "oldie" still continue to have these problems, but we just don't post about them for one reason or another. But don't feel as though you are alone in your feelings. I know that you know that you are most certainly not alone. I agree that perhaps going back to your doctor is a good idea... he/she will be able to help you far more than we can here. But I also know that your doctor can NOT give you what we can give you, and that is our genuine love, friendship and support that is true of the SSC. And I know that THAT is what you are looking for, and THAT is something that you will ALWAYS find right here. You are a very important member of this quit family and are very cherished here. I hope you feel better soon. No matter what your problems are, you are free to express them here... and those of us who care about ALL of the SSC members will always listen and support you. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 319 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,984 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1317.47 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear you're feeling so much better Lady! :) Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 321 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,049 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1325.73 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady good morning, have you taken medication? Sometimes we fear medication for depression, nothing wrong with a little boost for a while. I know since I quit I've been depressed up and down like a Yoyo, now I'm wondering if I wasn't like that before I quit so I'm looking into it. See your doc, and if prescription medication is what you need go for it for a while and then just like smoking ween of it . Hope you feel better and don't hesitate to post just to share:)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,370 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $364 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gosh------------{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]I have progressed leaps and bounds from where I was in those early days. I no longer desire to smoke however, the affects of the many years of smoking are clearly with me today. I have worked very hard at changing the way I view life and the thoughts that I entertain on a daily basis.[/quote] Keep doing this. It takes awhile to change this part of us. For me, I changed everything. I am very much in tune now with everything I watch, listen to, people I hang out with, the environment that I am in, the places I go ... etc. We absorb all that is around us. It can effect our self talk. Really get in tune with listening to that inner dialog and then pick it apart. If any part of it is irrational, throw it out or rethink it and turn that irrational thinking into rational thinking. Look for words like always, never, should, shouldn't, etc. (sure signs of irrational thinking). [quote]However, there are times that despite my efforts, I find myself heading in a downward spiral of those early days of self-pity and depression. [/quote] When you feel yourself heading downward, does it last for weeks at a time? Or does it last for a day? If it lasts for a day, I would not beat yourself up. Sometimes we just need a day to process our irrational thinking, to nurture ourselves and then flush that pity pot. [quote]During the course of the last year my world has become a happy place and I have absolutely nothing to be depressed about. This leaves me with the feeling of �what in the world is wrong with me?� [/quote] If you are feeling the 'blahs' every now and again. I would venture to say that there is nothing wrong with you. We all have a blah day. Allow yourself to feel it, rent a movie, take a bubble bath, have a good frustration cry if need be, really love and nurture yourself that day. By the next day, once the irrational thinking is dissected and the pity pot is flushed, you should be able to get on with 'gettin' on'. If what you are feeling is not what I am describing, I would talk to your family doc about it and see what he says. I hope some of my advice helps. Fondly, Free [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 123 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,705 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $492 [B]Life Gaine
  • Quit Meter

$54,512.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 6

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: