Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,528 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Kids for Christmas

14 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My Brother never made it. He has good days and bad and he wasnt feeling good. If I was driving I could have gone to him. But since Im too scared, a big chicken and baby to do the simple task of driving like so many do, I didnt go. There is a 70 year old lady on our team that picks me up  for meetings. Am I a man or a mouse, no wonder my son is so mad at me. So I stayed here and watched his comments change on My Space. Its how I keep up with them, internet. Weird? I guess, I need a life.
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance,
I am so glad to hear that you will be able to spend Christmas with your brother.  I know you will cherish this time with him for a lifetime.  I hope you have a great time and quality time with him as you celebrate the season.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lance,

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to see the kids this Christmas, but as the others mentioned don't beat yourself up for it. You did try your best, and you can only control your actions, and you really have put the ball in their court and tried to show them that you want to be with them.

Things do happen for a reason. Take the time to spend the holiday with your brother, I am sure he will be so grateful for the moments and time you two can share together. Your time and attention, is probably the greatest gift you can give to him at this point in his life.

Do you have anything special planned for the two of you?

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance,
I forgot to ask you did the kids tell you personally that they don't want to see you for Christmas?  I know that my son and grandkids like seeing me but I really don't feel that my daughter in law wants me around at Christmas in fact I was told not to come on Christmas.  I have to drive up tomorrow to drop off gifts at their house, it has been made clear their will be no dinner or anything.  I have done this every year for the last few years and I wish I didn't have to go up their again this year. I  do not plan on going next year. I think I will just send cards with money.  I really get depressed doing this every year and its really hard to shake it after I go up there.  It is so self destructive for me.  Also I went through the treatment for liver disease and am one of the survivors and didn't have to get a liver transplant and want to say again that it is really wonderful that you are taking the time to be with your brother.  Thats what really matters don't you forget it.  I am sure it means a great deal to him that you are there for him now.  My partner was the only one there for me I will never forget it.  It meant the world to me.
Red
Lance,
I am sorry you will not get to see your kids. Maybe next year. Your brother needs you now and I think you should concentrate on spending your time with him this Christmas because it may be your last Christmas together.  You will never regret this time you have with your brother and  being with him now is something you will cherish forever.  I think this happened for a reason and that this is Gods purpose for you at this time.  You should be grateful and proud that you have the time and care enough to be their for him and be glad that you can comfort each other this Christmas. Please quit beating your self up about the kids and Christmas.  You have done the best you can under the circumstances.  Remember you are a loving and decent man trying to spend some quality time with his brother at Christmas and that is very honorable.  My prayers will be with you and your family this Christmas.

Red
My son hates me, Im not the dad he deserves. I dont know how to fix things.
Well I just got the word from my wife, they dont want to see me Christmas. Why do the results of mental health issues get such a hard knock with no foregiveness. Im not exactly enjoying myself. Ive been so miserable I wish I was gone at times. But still my family doesnt want me. Im trying to spend the day with my brother. He needs a liver transplant and this may be his last Christmas. I was hoping he could see my kids too, but it doesnt look that way.
I hope you get to see your kids for Christmas Lance.  If not maybe you can talk to them on the phone.  You may want to make yourself a back up plan for that day if you are with out them.  Maybe your can go to a movie.  We sometimes go to the movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas if we are not going to see any of the kids.  Lots of people go to the movies on the holiday.  I have been to lots of movies alone and it made me feel less lonely and I was also able to kill some time and the day went by much faster and the next thing you know it is over and its a new day and you got through it and you survived.   
Hope this helps

Red
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance,

The holidays can be a difficult time regarding family. It sounds as though you have attempted to make plans with your family and children and have yet to receive a response from them. Know that you have put in the effort and have taken the step to see them at this time. You can only control your actions and your decisions. Start writing them a letter, express to them what you are going through and write down everything you've been meaning to tell them but have never had the chance to do. Even if the letter never gets read by them, it will allow you to express yourself.

Samantha, Health Educator
I really dont know what to think. I love my kids and not being with them is bad enough, but holidays are worse. I really dont know what to think or do. I want it to all go away.........

Reading this thread: