Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Worring about swimming classes - somehow fear of water

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing that Sheba, brought a smile to my face! Please let us know how your evaluation goes!
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
definately funny! if you're with the kids, you could be like the big fish in a small pond. remember - float, float, float........
15 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok... News... It will be funny. (i hope). On Friday the head instructor will give me a swimming assesment ahahhaah
Maybe to see if he needs to put me with the children or more responsable adults (like me)
I hope that I will not go under yeah..... right ... is my specialty!

Hey Sheba,

I am glad your classes are progressing well. Way to step out of your comfort zone!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sheba,

It's great to see that you are feeling more confident and less panicked about swimming in the water. You have received some great advice here already so you do have some options on how to tackle your fear. Let us know what works for you and how your classes are coming along.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyway I'm doing better I just done some little crazy things in the pool for someone that fears water and it was ok. Crazy things like going beyond my tolerance level or at least what I was thinking that is my tolerance level.
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sheba, you don't trust the water? you started off surrounded by water - it's a good thing as martha stewart would say. wildcat is right though, you're not there to torture yourself, maybe your anxiety is getting the better of you
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Sheba,

different classes might offer you something more in your confort area.  You are taking a class for your health and pleasure, not to torture yourself with more worries.

Most fitness classes at the local pool here are in the shallow end of the pool with boards and sponges and elastics that work with the water's resistance on building strenght and cardio.  The swim clubs offer the lenghts back-and-forth with various pieces of equipment. 

i hope you find a find a fun class.
Hey Sheba,

I have no advice as I have not gotten in the pool for wow over 5 years I believe. It irritates my skin. But I do want you to keep me posted on how your aquafitness class and swim classes go! You go girl! You can do this!
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sheba- looking at the laws of physics(your an intelligent woman) and learning those few safety techniques can be done with swimmies, a life jacket, a floating tube, water wings, those tube things they have these days and can be taught on dry land initially while you see a demonstration in the water.  Those skills will help you become more trusting and let you know that you have power to handle situations(worst case scenarios) if they arise.  You can learn correct body positioning, for all these skills on dry land and progress through doing them with your swim aid when you are comfortable.  You definitely have to move at your OWN pace and others will be more/less comfortable than you, more/less trusting, more/less fearful.  The class should let you move at your own pace and comfort level!  "I should" float is a faulty belief.  Knowing you will float is based on the laws of physics!
I still look forward to hearing your progress, the fact you wear a floating tube to take an aquafitness class is okay.  It is not unusual and if a person is not comfortable in the water, then it's a smart thing to do, so you can get the maximum benefit from the class and stay in your comfort zone.  It's okay to wear a floating tube to an adult swim class.  Your slow progressive ease and comfort in the class should be the goal whether just getting in the water (was the objective) to swimming across the pool (whose objective was just getting their face wet) the person set their own goals, some pushed beyond them, some accomplished them and some got somewhere in between - they were all successful!  It is what makes that class so rewarding for swimmer and instructor alike. 

Use all the resources you have to make yourself more comfortable going in (to the class and to the water).  I still maintain with or without a floaty thing - you'll do great and have fun!!!!!

Reading this thread: