Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Worring about swimming classes - somehow fear of water

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sheba,

If it is normally a 3-4, then you know that things can and will improve. You can do this!
Keep working through it Sheba, you'll get there. We're here rooting you on, every step of the way

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This week I didn't go to the pool. I got a really bad cold... me half a polar bear... argh!
The last time I was tuesday. It went good but the fear is there and doesn't seem to go away. Normally it is like 3-4 on a scale of 10. when in panic 9-10.
So it's a very deep fear. My doc told me that has a good connection with the relationship with my mother and also with her fear of water especially at night.

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sheba,

Great to hear that you're doing well.

The fact that you're able to get in the pool and do your lesons tells us you're improving. What would you rate your fear on a scale of 0-10, 0 being not at all, 10 being extreme?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
Updates. Things are going well at least my tecnique is improuving but not my fear... I'm starting to believe that will not improve ever...
I even changed my workout days so I have Letizia as instructor. She's really great.
Last time she convinced me to try again and it was ok even if I was less relaxed than the first time... strange.

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sheba,

Woohoo, you go girl! I am so proud of you! Way to go!
Thank you all!
My doc told me that the fear of water was not only for the trauma when I was a child but also depends of the relationship with my mother.

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sheba,

That's great news.............good for you!  Hopefully now you are feeling more confident. You should be very proud of yourself also for taking this fear head-on and succeeding!

Keep up the great work!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So very proud of you and for you!  I knew you could do it.  Face down will come too, just easy does it!  Take your time and then relax - you can do it! 

Congratulations - that's a good swim, a length!  

Ok guys! News!
It wasn't on Friday but yesterday. And I'm still alive!!!!
On my back I can float and pretty well YUPPY!!!!
The instructor put me first in the small pool and then after the acquagym lesson asked me to do une pool length on my back in the big pool. And I didn't ended under!
One of my class mates was with me all the time but it was ok. A really nice lady
Face down is still panic! But anyway they told me that at every acquagym lesson I will get 10 minutes swimming lessons at my own pace. Just for friendship. It is realy nice to meet people like them.

Reading this thread: