Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

A Simple Way to Feel a Bit Better Now

11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have trouble exercising because of my panic disorder and vomiting phobia :(

I used to be involved with Girl Guides (daggy, I know) but I loved hiking, canoeing and camping so I really enjoyed it. Being out in fresh air always makes me feel better, I find it always brings me a sense of calm and peace. Yoga is an interest of mine, and I've always thought it would be nice to get up early around sunrise and do my yoga outside. As of yet, I haven't found the motivation, and winter won't make it any easier! It's already getting colder here.

Kaitie.
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One small point here. What ever you do, if you do it by yourself make sure it is okay with your partner. I can easily spend long hours in the garden or greenhouse by myself. It could easily be considered neglect.

I do better than 50% of my work sitting down. There is therefore no excuse not to.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great ideas Shari. I expecially like calling exercise play

Maybe scheduling a play date regularly could also help? 
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I read a book that said to call it, "play" instead of exercise, so it has a more positive association.  The weather will be getting warmer soon, so there will be ample opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.  The easiest form of exercise, for me, is walking. George and I will walk at Laurel Springs Park which is close by.  I like walking the trails in the woods and listening to the birds.  I prefer it to the treadmill.  Gardening is a great form of exercise, it's fun and it's therapeutic working with the soil, tending it and seeing the lovely results.  Walking the dogs is fun for both the dogs and me.  I like to play outside in the back yard with them.  I think, I'm inactive, because I default into old habits and new habits take time to establish.  Also, it's harder than it seems, so I break it down into a more do-able process.  Since the average person needs about a half hour of exercise a day, it can seem like a lot or a big commitment until you break it down into smaller steps.  I can tell myself I'll walk on the treadmill for ten minutes, before breakfast, 10 before lunch and 10 before dinner.  It's still effective, but it's easier for me to swallow walking for ten minutes, than walking 30 minutes all at once (I use the treadmill during winter).  The only way to make it a priority is to schedule time for it and do it.  If you don't make an effort, you won't bother.  Riding a bicycle whether it's stationary or not can be fun and it's low impact.  Kid play is fun like a jump rope or playing frisbee or ping pong or badminton. Or, even swimming, if you're not swim suit phobic :)  Yoga is calming.  So, you don't have to go to the gym and lift Herculean weights or run a marathon or hike Mount Everest.  Also, I get easy exercise in by parking further back from the stores, taking the stairs, and by walking to the stores when the weather is nice.  So, there are ways to sneak it in and it's not that horrible :)  And, you feel better too.  Those are just my ideas.

Shari
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A simple way to feel better now?  EXERCISE!

We all know that being active is one of the most important things you can do for your health and well being. So why is it that so many of us are pretty much inactive? Maybe we're making physical activity harder then it has to be? What are some fun ways you like to be active? How can we make these activities a priority?

Let's discuss and help eachother be accountable!

Reading this thread: