Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Challenging Negative Thoughts

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found some diaries from 40 years ago. Very interesting reading.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wanted to mention that as I was decluttering, I found many diaries.  I'm doing a "life planning" course and used them to refer to my core values...save them for later...you'll be surprised
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Matilda I was happy to hear back from you, keeping a diary is a wonderful idea & shows that you are truly committing to this, also connecting your food intake to your mood is a fantastic way of finding out what has an affect on you. I certainly noticed a huge change when I stopped drinking coffee & tea, I drink mostly camomile now but also other herb or fruit teas, I didn't have any caffeine withdrawal which was lucky.

Keep us updated & you are correct in saying this is definitely the best place for help. Take each day as it comes & if & when you do have a bad day don't give up just put it behind you & remember tomorrow is another day.

You feel you have been at your lowest & so there is only one way to go & that is upwards, give yourself time and be patient, I can see a change in you already.
museluver x
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi -
Matilda, I would love to know your findings on how what you eat impacts your mood.  A friend of mine is convinced that the fact that more and more people are being diagnosed with anxiety disorders is related to the fact that so many of us have stopped eating grass-fed animal products.  She explained that when Grass-fed beef has really good Omega-III levels and it can help with anxiety.  She offered to show me study results but I said that was okay.  I try to remember to take fish oil and really would like to make an effort to purchase grass-fed beef - it's just so much more expensive...That said if it will help me to feel better, I can't put a price on that. 
I've also had luck with cutting down on caffeine and some spicy foods (but I hate to stay away from those).

So, it would be neat to know your findings if you have any to share,
Carmie
12 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Museluver

Sorry I have only just seen your reply.  I am getting on OK with the program.  It is certainly the best site that I have seen on anxiety.   I am keeping a diary every day and keeping a track on what I eat to see if it makes any difference to my mood as a whole.  I am certainly feeling better than I did a month ago, but I am not there yet but hopefully one day. 

All the best for now

Matilda x
Matilda I totally understand the anonymity thing, I feel the same I noticed the buddy thing but don't know how it works.
How are you getting along with your program? The important thing to remember is that you only get out what you put into it, the more time & effort you put into your counseling the more benefits you will see, just remember to take some time out to relax some time for you. For the first 3 months I was doing about 3-4 hours reading on here and then turning to my books for more, maybe I over did things, yet that intensity helped me vastly & now I am a totally different person, I don't recognize myself sometimes, especially when being assertive, I have always been passive in my communication skills, now I can answer questions & give my input into situations with confidence & assertion.
5 months ago I wanted to leave life behind, now I can see with a healthy mind just what a wonderful place it is & just how much I have missed out on. 
Let me know how you are doing, let us all know we all care x
Hi Muselover

Thank you for your kind message.  It is nice to know there is someone out there in cyberspace who understands.  Having read your past experiences, I would say that I haven't been through half as much as you, I think that you have coped marvellously with what life has thrown at you and you are such an inspiration.  At present I would prefer to stay anonymous as I feel more able to say how I feel, I do have a facebook a/c but I mainly use it for tv sites but maybe at some point we can hook up online.  I note that there is a sort of buddy system on here but I don't know how this works. 

All the best Matilda x
Hi Matilda, Don't worry you haven't depressed us, I can guarantee you, you can write almost anything in the support group and you will not be judged, we are all friends here, we are here to listen, support and give any advice we can. I found just writing the comment below helped enormously, It was also the anniversary of my dad's death this week. I was crying as I wrote which is one of the greatest releases, sometimes you wonder just where all the tears come from & will they ever stop.

You have had many hard times in your life like myself, I found a lot of people turned away from me when I needed them the most as they didn't know how to handle the situation, all I needed was a hug. We have both been through very similar situations and I'm certain there are many others on here who have to. Everyone here has different life experiences, yet when we sign into here we are united in that we are all trying to achieve our own personal goals.

I know you are in the UK like me, maybe we can sort something out & find each other on facebook, I know we won't be anonymous that way, it's just an option, just reaching out to let you know I am always here to listen to any of my family on here.
Take care Matilda & take some time for yourself to remember the good times & fond memories you have of your parents. 

Hi Muselover and all. 

My first visit in a few days, been working the late shift all this week.  It has been the anniversary of my Dads' death this week, he died 6 years ago on Wednesday, 1 week after having a good health report from the Dr.  I saw Dad the day before he died and he was quite poorly, being sick but still at home.  Then I remember my brother calling just before midnight saying that Dad had been rushed in to hospital for an emergency op.  I spent the night in the hospital with my brother and sister sleeping in the waiting room.  My dad died at 6.30 that morning, we were standing round when the machine monitoring his breathing just stopped and he slipped away, I thought that my heart would break as it was only 3 months before that I watched my mum pass away in hospital (I was on my own with her at the time, my dear dad & my sister had gone home to change after being there all night, my husband had to go and get my brother and sister in law from the hospital cafe and ring my dad  as we knew she was dying) I stayed with her and by the time they had got there she had gone, it was peaceful, but I saw the colour drain from her face, I will never forget it, she had been very poorly for sometime, she managed to say a goodbye the day before but then she deteriorated quickly.  I always regret that my dad never got the chance to say goodbye but I was glad that he was back with my mum as he was her carer and didn't know what to do without her, as I explained this event really triggered the start of my anxiety and I feel that I probably should not still feel like this afer 6 years, but I do and I think I probably always will.  Sorry to have gone on it's just I understand exactly how you feel and it has been nice to have been given the chance to say this.  I hope I haven't depressed everyone too much.  Kind Regards  Matilda x
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Ashley your idea for the letter writing is something I have done before, I found it too hard. Once I begin to think about one person I have lost there is a domino effect & I can feel my emotions spiraling. It is only 2 years since myfather died, and almost 10 since my husband passed, as I mentioned I put my husbands ashes in with my father as they were the best of friends.
My husband was  police officer he didn't know he was ill, he began to have a heart attack whilst on duty 8 miles from home, and drove home to be with myself & our daughters. He arrived home, parked the car in the garage, hung up his uniform and died in our arms on our bed, all within 15 minutes of arriving home. It is that sight that haunts me, watching him fighting to breathe, his eyes bulging as he gasped for breath, his color changing drastically, the noises he made, I hear them if I am ever lucky enough to sleep, one of our daughters (they were only 12 at the time) thought he was having an asthma attack so was trying to give him her inhaler. 
I was given 6 weeks grief counseling from the police then it ceased,  I hadn't even begun to grieve as I was still in shock. My father was my hero & he lived a long and full life, I miss him dreadfully & feel that I am finding grieving for him easier, maybe as he had lived life and life wasn't taken from him at such a young age. I break down whenever I think of my husband and the raw pain of 2002 still feels the same.

I know I  need to seek out help for this, & Davit you are right time is a great healer, yet I find that the pain is just as raw but the understanding that you will never see that person again gets easier to accept. 
Tomorrow is another day & I will face it with the same positivity that I try to each day, if I feel a negative thought or feeling creeping in I now ask myself why is this happening, what will worrying about it actually achieve, by the time I have figured out the answer the feelings have subsided.
Whenever I here people complaining about their spouses or parent's I often say you don't realize just how lucky you are to have them with you to complain about. Cherish every moment of life with your loved ones as you never know what is around the next corner. Even though I have had many horrible experiences in my life I can now see the positive things I have achieved. My daughters have grown into amazing intelligent young women, both graduated and waiting to do their masters, they are my greatest achievements and the fact that I helped to shape them into the young women they are makes me very proud.
 To anyone who has ever lost a loved one I am here for you.

Reading this thread: