Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New here

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sxynyasia

Joining this group is a good place to begin.  You've found a very supportive online community and you have a lot of information at your disposal to learn more about panic attacks while being able to work through a treatment plan through the Panic Program.  
What sort of activities do you find calming?  What have you found helpful?  
Post often, feel free to ask questions and know that we are here for you!
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sxynyasia

You are slightly different in that you do have something wrong with you. First accept that and treat it. There is nothing wrong with having health problems unless you don't accept it. I have RA and Hypertension. Accepting the fact has reduced the anxiety which has reduced the the effect it has on my health. CBT took care of the rest. It sure beats sitting in ER and being told there is nothing wrong with me. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it any more.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sxynyasia,

Welcome.  You're definitely in the right place :)  I echo what marjoso says.  If you begin the program, it will really help you and it will give you the necessary coping skills to manage anxiety.  Please feel free to post.  The combination of the CBT program, along with the support group really helped me.  I no longer panic and I am able to manage anxiety, so it definitely works.  We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing about your progress.  You will get better and better, it just takes time and working through the program and being patient with yourself.  We are here for you!

Shari
11 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bellagirl - I have found that there are more than of a few of us who have a fear of taking medication. I'm actually more afraid of addiction, however, I do take the anti anxiety medication when I get stuck in a cycle. It's not very often, but it does help me to think clearly. I have taken anti-depressants (which Celexa is) and I'm not sure they were very helpful. My hope is that this program will give me the tools I need so I don't need the meds at all. I have also tried some herbs and supplements that didn't seem to help me much, but have friends that they do work for. 

sxynyasia - Have you started this program? I think it will help you. I've been in the place where you don't know where to turn, and you've landed in a good spot here. I'm really sorry that you have the heart problem. I'm sure that would cause some anxiety in anyone. I wish I had something brilliant to say that would help you feel better instantly, but it takes time. If you haven't done lesson one yet, you should, and be kind and patient with yourself. I'll will keep you in my thoughts.
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey my name is sxynyasia
 Boy, i dont even know where to begin. I just recently been  told i am suffering fron panic attack . which sort of freaked me out . i dont know what to do but i sure would like to get rid of the attacks Im told by the doctor that i have had this for awhile now .(sounds crazt right). well let me sort of explain
three months ago i was in the house with my five year old fussing on the phone with the cable people. i told my daughter to get her coat when i began to feel real dizzy and my heart was racing like crazy. she called 911 who took me to the er . i was told i had what they called vertigo .i was giving medication but it never seemed to go away. because i was having this problem for almost two months.i went on google and typed in my smptoms . it said vertigo,brain,or heart . since i knew there was a cardio doctor down the block i went to him crying to see me because something was wrong. after all the test done i found out that i had a 70% blockage in one of my arteries . They gave me a stent and sent me home with tons of medications to take. Needless to say i am still suffering from the problem at hand . After more test the doctor gave me a viluim and everything seem to be just fine and thats was when he said that i needed to get treatment because i am suffering from panic attacks . I dont want to take anymore medication and i sure wish that this would go away . the doctor saids that i need to talk to someone and to be on the meds because i dont need the stress from the panic attack . and right now i feel like i am stuck in limbo. like its something that they are not telling me . with every gas pain or fluttering of my heart or dizziness or skip of the beat im in the er room crying because i feel like something is really wrong . Ok i come to accept im have panic attack and here i m at this group but where to i began. i feel like i am losing it  help me please
Hi Jackie,

I really believe you will overcome this too, and in the meantime, it will lessen and lessen and become more manageable :) I will pray for you too :)  

I did not take any medications.  When I did research about it, I found that the medicine kicks in, in about a half an hour, and usually that's when the panic cycle subsides on it's own.  So, for me, personally, I thought why take something when the panic will be over by the time the medicine kicks in.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who have different opinions and that's okay, it's just what worked for me.  Each person has to decide for themselves.  And, I'm certainly not knocking medication or people who have used it.  I found that, for me, what worked was writing down positive truthful statements on a paper and pulling them out when I felt panicky and reading them out loud, and by the time I was at the bottom of the page, the panic lessened and stopped before getting full blown.  I would say, "This is just a temporary uncomfortable feeling.  There is nothing bad happening.  It's just a false alarm and it will go away soon.  Everything is okay.  I am fine.", etc.  And, the key is, I believed it.  So, logically my mind accepted that what I was telling myself was true (and it was) and so I would calm down and not panic.  It took practice and hard work and time and patience, but eventually, I didn't need the paper and could talk myself down from panic.  I don't have panic attacks anymore, but I do get anxiety and I can talk myself down from that also.  I have the same anxiety about taking, even, over the counter medications, too.  So, I take vitamins and herbs, the latter more for when I have a cold or allergies.  I wish I could tell you the vitamins that are supposed to help anxiety, but we're not supposed to mention them on the site, but you can google search the info. and find the information there.  Davit uses lemon balm tea and has mentioned it on the site.  I found a flavored water drink that has lemon balm in it and it has a calming effect.  Re:  acid reflux, some antacids are just calcium.  I'm sorry I don't know what I can say and not say about it.  But, you are doing great and stick with the program and you will get better!

Shari
11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shari,

Thank you for responding :) It was nice to read that you overcame a lot of the panic/agoraphobia... Im praying with time, being active in the forums, and doing my homework, that I too will be able to overcome this as well. May I ask, did you take medications? My Dr. prescribed me celexa, but I am terrified of pills... so I am trying the homeopathic route instead. Do you have any suggestions? I was just diagnosed with anemia, but other than that I have been healthy. I now feel like I'm developing acid reflux... not sure if that is part of the panic? My Dr. scheduled me to have an upper scope, so I guess we'll see... I am very happy that I came across this website, I look forward to my journey of healing :)

Jackie

11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I just started on my homework yesterday... completed chapter 1. Look forward in reading more, very helpful to me try & understand this.
Thank you for responding & welcoming me to the group :)

Jackie

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jackie,

Welcome to the group. We can help you take control of this. Many people in this group take medication while working on the program; it is up to you and your doctor to determine what is best for you right now.

The program is based on cognitive behavioural therapy(CBT) principles. CBT is one of the most effective treatments of anxiety disorders. The program requires a lot of reading and homework but if you put the work in you will see results. Also, be sure to post in the forums often, the more engaged you are with this site the better your chances of success.

Have you had a chance to get started on the program yet? Any questions so far?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Jackie,

Welcome.  I had panic disorder and agoraphobia also.  I'm happy to say this program really works and the support group is extremely helpful.  It's learned behavior, so the good news is, you can unlearn it and retrain the way you think with the coping skills given on this site.  I haven't had a panic attack or agoraphobia problems in over two years.  I still have anxiety at times and even high anxiety, once in awhile, but it never kicks over into panic any more and I'm able to manage it successfully with the coping skills I've learned on this site.  I started seeing results, early on, after starting the program.  It helps you to identify what triggers you have and how to counteract negative thoughts with positive truths and it really works.  It takes practice and hard work and doing the homework, but you can do it and I'm happy that you're here. Once you begin, you will improve and get better and better over time.  Feel free to post anytime with any questions.  It really helped having other people understand and give ideas of what worked for them.  It personalizes it which works better than just trying to go it alone or just by reading books.  The support group made a big difference in my success.

Shari

Reading this thread: