Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

limitations of CBT

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

Almost a month has gone by since you posted this and I didn't post back but have been continuing to work on things though "working on myself" looks far different than it did in the beginning of this process 2 years ago. Now "working on myself" truly means being a friend to myself, being a (reluctant) parent to myself and letting myself feel my emotions. 

No, to answer your question in your last post, you were not one of the people who told me to suck it up. Those were people who are themselves not (in my opinion) experiencing very good emotional health. I don't consider them to be helpful anymore when they say such things and I have had to limit my exposure to people who refuse to acknowledge my emotions. That is a big step for me.

I wanted to post to say that although I found a few ok counselors, in the end, it has been my own wisdom about myself that has counted the most and I want other people here to hear from my story thus far that it is what you know about yourself that really counts. Someone you meet and pay for an hour session can say very helpful things but in the end they don't know you like you know yourself. 

Maybe I just didn't run into the right person early on. I have been panicking when feeling fear and / or anger for so long that I was truly blind to it. Look back at my posts from 4-6 months ago and you see me struggling to figure out how the "exposure" aspect of this program fit with me. Its because I didn't even know what was causing me to panic.I thought it was the person who was making me angry in the moment. Yes there are people in my life who have been unhelpful and even scary and hurtful when i was in the middle of a panic attack. But trying to get htem to change didn't do anything for me because at the core it was me, scared of my feelings and that caused panic. Feelings can literally overwhelm you.

If someone had been caring and observant enough to see that this is what was happening to me, I could have gotten in touch with my true self a long time ago. And saved myself a lot of pain that comes from "making" relationships with people who are themselves out of touch with their emotions and core goodness. In the end, even when I trusted someone enough to be angry around them, it wasn't other people who helped me to see that it was my anger that was causing me to panic, it was me. I found a good book about emotions from a DBT perspective and that has made a huge difference. Every kind and loving gesture from every person I have ever met has helped me. I see each one as a block I was given to stand on even momentarily, because I grew up being pushed down so much, and not witnessing a lot of love, I didn't believe it existed, I didn't trust people who appeared to be expressing it towards me, and I didn't know how to distinguish between people saying "kind" things to manipulate me for their own gain vs people who really cared for me.

I have been through a lot. My emotions were neglected from the start of my life. Then once I got into relationships with non family members, my emotions were met with anger or indifference, I look back now incredulous that someone who said they "cared" about me turned a blind eye to my pain. An angry person is a person in pain . I truly truly believe that to the bottom of my being. And they can be helped. We are all scared of anger in this culture but that doesn't help people who struggle with how to process it. Like myself. We can help people who are angry but we have to understand our own anger first so we know how anger works, what it does and doesn't do and how to process it in a healthy way. 

I really really want my words to help someone or comfort someone to see how much you can change your life and your happiness.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves trees.

I am so glad to hear from you again. You know that the past doesn't count other than to learn from. You also know it is hard to learn from without focusing on it. And this is why it is hard to let go of it. There is no easy solution all there is is time. You have the three things needed to bury a core belief. Perception, attitude, and belief. So now all you need is time.
As for emotions I think you are doing very well with them and if they get loose once in a while it is okay. I have some very emotional friends I would never criticize them for having strong emotions come to the surface. It passes. I make a very good sounding board. I think in the past I might have been rough on you, and I hope I was not one of the ones to tell you to suck it up. I have always had your best interest at heart. But there is a fine line there.
Boy I sure know about the inconvenient part. Been reminded of that enough times by some one ignorant. (in the literal sense)
I still believe acceptance is the hardest thing to do and also the most necessary. You are off to a good start just by accepting it will take time. It will, but it will also happen. One day you will discover that it no longer matters and hasn't for a while. It will likely come as a surprise. I know because it happened to me just like that. All the things bothering me just were not there anymore. I still get emotional but it doesn't control me. It just embarrasses me some times. It doesn't matter, I'm still me. And you are you, and you know I will always be here for you. To help, to listen or just to be there. You know my feeling about meds, they have their place and as long as that is what you are doing then it is good. I'm glad you have found an acceptable Doctor. That can be tough for sure.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves trees,

It is so good to hear that you are feeling better, taking care of your needs and getting the help and support you need.

It takes a lot to of courage and determination to face your fears and seek out the help you need..This is a very big accomplishment.

Hope to here from you again soon,
Red..

13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trees,
I had to get over an aversion to meds, but was finally over it to deal with blood pressure.  It's hard to read the posts with meds, but it's a reality.

My fear is the balance has to be maintained, and the interactions become hard to predict.
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the posts especially since I have not been on the site as much lately. 

Davit you are right I have more confidence and the care and concern from others has made a big difference for me. It has been quite the journey thus far to understand what I needed and until I started to understand myself better it was virtually impossible to find what I needed. Now I know that I have gone through life without much emotional support. Actually at most times in my life I have not had any and a positive core belief I have discovered that I always had was that it was not my fault. It wasn't my fault I was abandoned emotionally, it just happened. I truly believe I did not do anything to cause that to happen early in my life. How could I have? I was a child.

Moving on now, into the present, I still find it hard to feel the feelings that come from being abandoned emotionally early on. For a long time, I suppressed them. Once I started to let them out they were the equivalent of a tornado and unfortunately the people in my life at that point had no idea what was really going on, had no insight and therefore reacted poorly to me when I let those feelings out. Those feelings of being hurt, alone, angry and sad. 

I am on some medication now and believe me I was the last person to ever believe that medication could make it so that I would not experience a tornado every time I had an emotion. Now I have emotions that are like rain showers and maybe some downpours sometimes where it rains really hard for 10 minutes and then lightens up. The tornadoes were making it impossible to do anything but cling on for dear life. That was not letting me move forward. I trust my doctor and that it is ok to be on medication to help with the emotions I tried so hard to manage and obviously needed help with. I am learning to have emotions without panicking because now they pass as they are supposed to. People who have not experienced depression or anxiety maybe don't know how hard it can be to get through those episodes of fear or panic.  I judged myself harshly for not being able to handle my emotions but honestly, I am working on not doing that judging anymore. They are so strong and so negative at times, I am not ashamed to ask for help in dealing with them and if people judge me for having problems emotionally, they are in my opinion being ignorant because like any condition, it is not something I have done to be inconvenient. I have been told to "suck it up" when feeling panicked most of my life and I refuse to be told that anymore. Progress!

You mention that acceptance is the hardest. I feel that. Accepting what happened to me as a child is taking time. It doesn't happen all at once. So far I don't think there is one single action I could do to resolve those feelings, I think I have to processs them over time. Also a counselor pointed out that I need positive relationships to replace the negative ones and that takes time too. Not everyone is available for emotional support. You guys on this site are, but not everyone is. We all know that. But it is hard to accept that there are people in my life I wish would be ethere for me emotionally but they are not. I have to accept that. I am working on it. One day at a time. 

Thank you for your continued support. I think that if people are scared to go on medication they should talk honestly to their doctor and if the doctor dismisses their conceerns try to find a new onne who understands your fears. That helped me a lot. The first one I talked to was dismissive so I found another one.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi loves trees,

It's great to hear the good news. You really do sound much more at peace now..I am so happy for you..
Thanks for the update and keep posting when ever you like...We do like hearing from you..

Your friend,
Red.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello loves trees:  So glad you are moving forward and things are looking positive.  As Davit says, sounds like you are ready to tackle things straight on.  Yes, it does take patience.  As we say here it took awile to get where we are and we aren't going to get well overnight.  Don't forget to pamper yourself every now and then, take good care and reward your efforts with something as a positive reinforcement to all your successes along the way.  You know we are cheering for you all the way.  Keep posting and let us know how goes.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
loves trees.

I'm happy for you. I see no sadness in this post, I see patience and confidence. I also see acceptance and that is the hardest one for everyone. It will come with time and the help you now have. 

On a lighter note, I am enjoying spring and am in my small propagation green house starting plants. It is sort of funny because there is still snow, only half what there was but still eighteen inches in the garden makes it seem early even though I know it isn't. There is heat in the sun when it is out and it feels good to be outside. A good rain would help but at this time of year it could be snow instead.

I am so glad to hear you are doing okay. Keep us up dated when you can, we do miss you.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Loves Trees,

Thanks for checking in and letting us know that things are looking up. Has something in particular changed?

Keep up the great work! Hope the nice weather helps too.

Tiana, Health Educator
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post that things are going much better lately and I am sorry I have not been on the forum more. I am using the CBT techniques more and more "naturally" now. I am challenging anxious thoughts more than half the time automatically and then the other half of the time I remember to after a while too. I found a good counseler to work with. I found a better doctor too. This helps a lot.

I hope you are all enjoying the beginning of spring weather if it is warming up where you are. 

Reading this thread: