Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,616 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO, AEREVE

had a mild panic attack in restaurant

22 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi maria, i'm new here and coming in kind of late in this conversation... one of the things that i do when i'm in a servere panic attack is i talk. i call my boyfriend, i call a friend, i call anyone who will sit and listen to me and talk back about anything... i also do really deep breaths because i will hyperventilate... the worst thing though is that i oten throw up too. that's when they're really bad. but i try not to get to that point and i tell myself that i have complete control of my mind and body. and that i'm okay, and i repeat it over and over and over... i hope some of this works.
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bravo, Maria, for trying to understand. We enjoy having you here.
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have no seizure disorders. I have panic attacks in cars, at restaurants, at home alone, you name the place, and there I have had one. I am taking half of my meds during the day and the other half at night, instead of all at night. Seems to be working so far. Just protecting myself. That panic attack I just recently had at the theatre was just all to terrifying, the worst one of my life. After I had it, I came home and found this site. This is why I am working so hard on understanding my panic attacks, I now feel there is hope. Bye for now, Maria
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maria, Have you been skipping a dose of your medicine? You ghave had 2 attacks in 3 days....Maybe you need to go back to the full dose instead of haking half of it. Thd self talk works real good. RTake a sheet of paper and put the scenario on one side and possible things you could say on the other...this would give you a buch of self talk for the occasions you need them.Also, since when do you have attacks in cars? I thought you told us you have them out with people? I must be confused... Try the exercise making up self talk. It is such a good way to keep yourself in check. This way you can enjoy your evenings out. Have you been tested for seizure disorder? You mentioned something about lights and noise...I just wondedred if you should tell your doctor. You are doing so well, keep up the excellent work Red
Question: What does your mind see and what does your eyes see? Answer: It is as if I am in a free fall, without the feeling of falling, no control - my mind sees nothing but paralyzing fear. My eyes are searching, franticly, scanning everything around me at hyperspeed, I do not know what I am searching for - it feels sorta of like my mind has no where to land, my eyes are searching - best I can do. Question: Is your writing what you see when you are going trough a panic attack? Answer: No. But, I could try. It would only be what I remembered of the panic attack, and, that really is not worth a poem. I went out today, had to go pick up a check from an account. I put my meds. in my purse, took half of my dose for the day before I left (I have been doing that for the the last couple days, seems to be fine, would never take over the amount of my dose, not to worry) and went on my way. Well, after driving for about 1 mile, I pulled over. I began feeling a little strange. So, I thought to myself (these are self talks I have learned from you guys) "...you've alreay had probably the worse one you are ever going to have..." - "...remember, you are prone to catastrophic thinking..." - "...start counting your breaths..." - "...you took your meds. before you left the house, they will kick in soon... and, you have some in your purse..." - then, I did something really strange. I pictured this guy at the gas station that I think is pathetically cute, but, needy, and lives by me and was just thinking I could make friends with him and we could fall in love and live happily ever after - then, after all that self talk and mind games, I turned on a radio station in my car I liked and took off. Did not have even the least little bit of panic the rest of the day even to right now - and, I had to interact with different kinds of people throughout the day. Oh well, I do believe I am making progress. It was interesting that I thought of all of you today while dealing with my panic issue ... I like that. Thanks everyone, Maria P.S. When I came back I saw the guy at the gas station and had no feeling whatsoever - it was just a fantasy.
Mr Bubbie and Mria, When you are in the middle of these attacks - "peaking" as maria calls it, what do your eyes see and what does your mind see?? You know we have this thing called "The Minds' Eye". Our eyes take in scenes..but our minds'eye see thru the mind. It is what is seen after it filters thru the mind and that is what is called an impression. It is the scene that has been thought about and judged by the mind. Suppose we could change what the minds'eye sees? There is another concept I use when in a situation where panic is involved. I step back in my mind, and see myself and the whole scene from a "third person". Maria, you are a writer, and I respect your opinions and would like to know what you think of my concept. Is your writing what you see/feel while going thru a panic attack? Can you write what you see? Or is your writing/poetry what your mind imagines, like dreams? Are your writings the escape, so to speak? In earnest,Red
22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I need to focus on something I focus on my breathing. I try to breath slowly and deeply. I count my breaths and try to slow it down. It seems to help me "surf" my panic attacks. It gives me something else to think about and seems to take the edge of the worst of a panic attack.
Dear Mr. Bubble, I think I need something to 'focus' on while I am peaking - I cannot seem to get that down. I was just thinking, what if I imagined myself on a bucking bronco - after all, that is sort of how I feel. I will really try to focus on something, like a mantra - I am willing to try most anything. Thank you for your response, it is most appreciated. It is not the 'just before' or 'coming down' part of the panic attack I can't handle, it is the 'peak point' where I cannot think straight. Any thoughts on that 'peak' time? If I knew I had a 'tool' of somekind, I would feel much more confindent. I used to be a severe stutterer, and after 4 years of therapy, I can speak with 100% fluency if I use all the techniques (tools) I have learned. What a break through in my life! I need to find some tools for these panic attacks. Bye for now, Maria
maria, I have to agree with MrBubbie, that experience has brought me so far from where I used to be. I have worked these attacks through so that I am now able to go out and enjoy a social life. I guess I wanted to be able to enjoy so very much, that I took the extra steps to be sure I was "covered". I carried a pill box, and still do, and I worked through all the scenario, went to my doctor, and to a group for therapy. It has taken me a while, but I sure like being comfortable with people socially, instead of being a victim.I wanted it so badly, I made it happen. The same with driving..I conquered that too. I was not satisfied to sit back and feel sorry for myself, while life passed me by. I wanted to be involved in my life..not be an outsider. This is what I did for me. Red
22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sounds like a bad night out. I guess you know what would happen if you didn't have your medication with you. On the "up side" maybe you experienced the worst thing that can happen if you don't have your meds with you...and it was pretty bad but you survived. So, you would probably survive the next time too. I always try to keep in mind how far I have come. Back in the "dark days" before I knew what was happening to me, the kind of experience you are describing would have been much worse for me than it is now. Now at least I know what is happening when I have a panic attack, so they are never quite as bad as they used to be. Good Night

Reading this thread: